E-mailed State of CT state parks and got a good answer!!

BigKyle

Heu guys i how an e-mail to the people incharge of the state parks for CT, asking if i required a permit there, i checked my email today to get this reply:

Code:
STATE OF CONNECTICUT
DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION
BUREAU OF OUTDOOR RECREATION, STATE PARKS DIVISION

POLICY/PROCEDURE #312                               October 31, 2002
				      Revised 3/4/08

SUBJECT:  METAL DETECTION - COLLECTING GUIDELINES

SECTION INDEX:    I.  USE OF METAL DETECTION DEVICES

I.    USE OF METAL DETECTION DEVICES

The use of metal detection devices is permitted on land under the jurisdiction of the Department of Environmental Protection under the following conditions:

1.  The activity shall be limited to surface collection except at beach areas where digging is permitted in sand areas devoid of vegetation.  However no collecting or digging will be allowed in areas of sand dunes adjoining the beach area proper.  Digging must be done by hand with all motorized devices prohibited.  All holes dug must be refilled immediately before the collector leaves the site.

2.	The use of metal detection devices will only be permitted when the beach is not being used by the public for other purposes.

3.	Persons using a metal detector are required to use a trash apron to store all materials found.  The collector may retain articles found, except items of a personal nature such as jewelry and watches, which must be turned into the manager in charge.  Any material the collector does not wish to retain shall be placed in a waste receptacle.

4.	No specific permit is required at this time.

5.	Staff may close any area to this activity for purposes of maintaining visitor safety and/or preserving significant artifactual remains.

Page 1 of 2

The use of metal detectors is prohibited at the following state park areas:

Airline Trail State Park – Colchester
	Bluff Point State Park - Groton
	Continental Army Hospital Memorial - West Hartford
	Dinosaur State Park - Rocky Hill	
	Ft. Griswold Battlefield State Park - Groton	
	Ft. Trumbull State Park – New London	
	Gay City State Park – Hebron
	Gillette Castle State Park – East Haddam  (prohibition includes all of the park property adjacent to the CT River.)
	Industrial Monument – North Canaan
	Lovers Leap State Park – New Milford
	Macedonia Brook State Park – Kent
	Mashamoquet Brook State Park – Pomfret
	Putnam Memorial State Park - Redding	
	Southford Falls State Park – Southbury
	Stoddard Hill Boating Access - Ledyard

Page 2 of 2

Just want to let you all know. If you want to see the e-mail i used or use it as a template let me know!

Awesome, good info to have right there Kyle...

I think I had heard that thing about "objects of a personal nature", but we all know what really happens with those, haha.

Interesting.. guidelines are reasonably clear.. although not sure too many people will be turning in jewelry they find... RickO

i was just excited to get a "nope, go away.. im busy " email... lol

i know where im going my next day off!

Back
Top Bottom