I just don't get it?

JackDetect97

I have taken a hiatus from detecting, due to schooling and all. I am just deciding to return and one thing baffles me: How do detectorists' like AquaChigger, Square Nail Squirrel, etc get so many permissions? Of course I am sure some of it relates to their YouTube popularity, but the other half is what? Do they just knock on every door without any concern or worry?

Yet here I am, wanting to go out but as soon as I approach a door, the owner acts like I just asked them to strip for me! Am I just knocking on the wrong doors?

I live up in the northern VA area, and I can't say for 100% sure, but most of AquaChigger's videos that I have seen are on major rivers up here that are not privately owned. He's using his Mokai to get into a lot of Civil War rich areas by water, he mentions his research in some of the videos.

Jack, as emu-detector says, there's tons of places on public land, that don't need permission. But to answer your question, one thing that I've found, that immensely helps me with permission "in's", is to become involved with your local museum and historical societies. Volunteer to be a docent. Perhaps that might involve 6 hrs. per month where you man a desk, for example.

Then with these credentials, and you're name-badge to flash, this helps break the ice with people. You introduce yourself as a "museum worker at such & such museum". And you're "doing research on the stage stop that was said to be back in the such & such canyon here". blah blah

Jack, as emu-detector says, there's tons of places on public land, that don't need permission. But to answer your question, one thing that I've found, that immensely helps me with permission "in's", is to become involved with your local museum and historical societies. Volunteer to be a docent. Perhaps that might involve 6 hrs. per month where you man a desk, for example.

Then with these credentials, and you're name-badge to flash, this helps break the ice with people. You introduce yourself as a "museum worker at such & such museum". And you're "doing research on the stage stop that was said to be back in the such & such canyon here". blah blah

BRILLIANT! :yes:

Another thing I do, even when I'm public land, is stress that I am not a cash seeking relic hunter when someone comes by me. Always talk about history and preserving it etc, seems to win people over.

I have taken a hiatus from detecting, due to schooling and all. I am just deciding to return and one thing baffles me: How do detectorists' like AquaChigger, Square Nail Squirrel, etc get so many permissions? Of course I am sure some of it relates to their YouTube popularity, but the other half is what? Do they just knock on every door without any concern or worry?

Yet here I am, wanting to go out but as soon as I approach a door, the owner acts like I just asked them to strip for me! Am I just knocking on the wrong doors?

Some good advice so far, especially about stressing the history aspect...

I hate to say this, but what impression do you give when you turn up on somebodies door step?

I never go in my digging clothes or carrying my detector as I think it's a bit presumptuous...I always dress tidy and try not to look threatening...once I have knocked, I stand away from the door to let folks have a look at me and not crowd their space...be polite and cordial, even if they say no as they may change their minds or be helpful in other ways..

Some good advice so far, especially about stressing the history aspect...

I hate to say this, but what impression do you give when you turn up on somebodies door step?

I never go in my digging clothes or carrying my detector as I think it's a bit presumptuous...I always dress tidy and try not to look threatening...once I have knocked, I stand away from the door to let folks have a look at me and not crowd their space...be polite and cordial, even if they say no as they may change their minds or be helpful in other ways..

I do everything stated above, for its common sense to not look shady and carrying your equipment to the door. I have business cards in my wallet, and I dress tidy and casual. However, my issue is the introduction, for my anxiety kicks in and then I kinda either ramble or stumble my words like a moron. High five for social interaction, and Im an opera singer that performs on stage all the time. Go figure!

I do everything stated above, for its common sense to not look shady and carrying your equipment to the door. I have business cards in my wallet, and I dress tidy and casual. However, my issue is the introduction, for my anxiety kicks in and then I kinda either ramble or stumble my words like a moron. High five for social interaction, and Im an opera singer that performs on stage all the time. Go figure!

Practice exactly what you are going to say in front of mirror. Do it every single day. It will become habit, which will allow you to more smoothly get through it without rushing, or stumbling over words. Repetition, repetition, repetition. Before you know it there's no need to practice or get anxious, because it comes out smoothly every time!

I recently went to an estate sale and when looking out the window at their acres of land just kind of blurted it out "Can I metal detect on this property tomorrow?" They were like, yeah sure, bring your friends and make sure they buy stuff too. Today I walked over to a neighbor's to buy fresh eggs and she was talking about how the edge of her property, alongside a giant field, used to have an old hunting cabin. I asked if I could detect there on Sunday and she said sure. I'm lucky so far. Bottom line, it doesn't hurt to ask.

.....Bottom line, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Great life lesson! You never know what is possible if you don't ask. I seen a show where a guy walked up to women in a city park and asked them if they wanted to go have sex. I believe 2 out of 100? said yes 😲 and they went and did it. If I tried that I'd be probaby be slapped, pepper sprayed or arrested. A hard working salesman knows you're going to get a lot of no's for every yes. Go get um.

Its all in the approach and natural encounters will get most permissions verses a knock on the door. When I pursue new permissions, if I have no contacts, I always try to catch them outside on the property.

I don't get it either.... I was just out door knocking countryside. Well, 2 were not home and the other two said no. Well the one said her "contractor" was mding it and her aunt did it 15-20 years ago. And apparently nobody has found anything, yeah right. But I didn't push it just talked with her for a bit and left. Oh and it was an 1852 house....dang

Who is the best salesman that you know?? Watch how confident a good salesman approaches his customer. You have to be that salesman. Insecurity does not sell. Practice your approach until you have it down pat and then go asking for permission.

I spent 14 years in sales. I knew my product. I was told that I could sell freezers to folks in Alaska in the dead of winter.

I said yes I could because they could use them to keep things from freezing solid.

One word.....Inference. NICE!!!

I seen a show where a guy walked up to women in a city park and asked them if they wanted to go have sex. I believe 2 out of 100? said yes 😲 and they went and did it..

Maybe hit them with this first, and once they tell you no then say "Well can I at least metal detect your yard?"

Back
Top Bottom