Crusty War of 1812 Button

Mistersippi

So I’m stoked I found a Scripted I War of 1812 button today. As soon as I found it I knew what it was so to try to save the pewter from “exploding” I packed it in some moist dirt and put it in a bag. I asked my metal detecting buddy who has been detecting longer than I’ve been alive and also has found these buttons in the same field what I should do to clean it and he said to wash it with a little water and softly brush then spray it with hair spray. That’s what I did and I’m pleased that the button still has all the detail but it is flaking so bad and I don’t want to ruin what I have. The crud on it has hardened and it takes more effort to remove than I’m comfortable with applying to this button. I’m looking for some thoughts on whether I should attempt to clean it more and if so how would you go about it? Final image is a google image to compare.

Attachments

• 620A8E1C-647B-44B9-8122-2985507551CE.jpg
    620A8E1C-647B-44B9-8122-2985507551CE.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 563
  • 733450C4-B31E-4A7B-9417-ED979AE15C20.jpg
    733450C4-B31E-4A7B-9417-ED979AE15C20.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 485
  • BFFC0866-E46A-40C0-AEA7-AC53B554CE6B.jpg
    BFFC0866-E46A-40C0-AEA7-AC53B554CE6B.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 510
Great button, just a shame it is it such bad condition.
Old pewter deteriorates and falls apart.
I have read that a soak in thinned white glue can help keep it from falling apart.

As to getting the crud off I would only tooth pick the crud but being it is weak and falling apart there may not be anything you can do.

Only other thing I can thing of is to consult with a professional restorer. Is there a university that has a archeology department you can visit near you?

You can also read the Technical article in this link:
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=263378

However, I would be afraid to try methods with that button. I would use old pewter spoons that have no value for any experimentation.

Great button, just a shame it is it such bad condition.
Old pewter deteriorates and falls apart.
I have read that a soak in thinned white glue can help keep it from falling apart.

As to getting the crud off I would only tooth pick the crud but being it is weak and falling apart there may not be anything you can do.

Only other thing I can thing of is to consult with a professional restorer. Is there a university that has a archeology department you can visit near you?

You can also read the Technical article in this link:
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=263378

However, I would be afraid to try methods with that button. I would use old pewter spoons that have no value for any experimentation.

Thank you Waltr! Believe it or not this is one of the better condition pewter buttons to come out of the field as it’s right next to a salt water beach. I actually like how the back looks but only if I could clean the front to expose the rest of the detail I’d be happy with that. I may consider taking it to a professional. I’m just not quite sure if the rarity of this button warrants that or not.

That is why I suggest a university. They should have the expertise and probably not charge to help.
At least either a pro or university should be able to give an opinion on whether or not it can be cleaned any better.

That is why I suggest a university. They should have the expertise and probably not charge to help.
At least either a pro or university should be able to give an opinion on whether or not it can be cleaned any better.

To answer your question I’m not sure if there is an archaeology department within the colleges near me so I will have to look into that. Thanks for the advice and I’ll definitely consider doing that.

Back
Top Bottom