A dog rabies tag

miner1812

2f5dbb06b515f15ba454829956fc0142.jpg

So I was wondering if anyone could tell me the possible name of dog or owner on this tag? I found the the while metal detecting in the forest in my back yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome find! That dog and its owners are long gone by now. I bet those vaccination records from that long ago have been purged.

Dog names and owners are not usually ID'd on a Rabies tag. You'd probably only be able to track down the dog & owner thru the tag's issuing authority, i.e., veterinary practice, or municipality, and probably only for modern rabies tags (no more than 8-10 years old). I bet records would not be kept longer than that. Any veterinary employees here that can add to, confirm or refute this information ?

I have a 1949 tag issued by a national company(Pitman-Moore). It says:

PITMAN_MOORE
RABIES VACCINE

They are a huge Animal Health company, more than 100 years old and now part of Dow AgriSciences. So, no local vet or municipality could be tied to my tag, making it nearly impossible to ID the dog/owner, 70 years later.

Jim

You'd probably only be able to track down the dog & owner thru the tag's issuing authority, i.e., veterinary practice, or municipality, and probably only for modern rabies tags (no more than 8-10 years old). I bet records would not be kept longer than that.

I havenā€™t tried for rabies tags, but I recently took the dog licenses that Iā€™ve found to my countyā€™s auditors office (they issue the dog licenses here) hoping for a little luck to learn something about the pets. The tags ranged in age from 1919 up to the 1990ā€™s, and I figured maybe at least the more recent ones might have records. The lady behind the counter was intrigued, but she said they only maintain dog license records for 10 years. It may vary a little for other localities, but I imagine most places are similar - and Iā€™d also guess rabies tags wouldnā€™t be much different.

I just found a neat cross-shaped rabies tag this past weekend, 1956 from Fort Dodge (Iowa, I assume). How it got lost in a NW Ohio park is anyoneā€™s guess! Iā€™m on the road for work until tomorrow, but Iā€™ll add a pic once I get home :yes:

Edit: Added the pic below - but I also did a little research and found out that ā€œFort Dodgeā€ on the tag I found is actually identifying that the rabies vaccination came from the Fort Dodge Serum Company, which was also happened to be based in Fort Dodge, Iowa. So that explains how it ended up in NW Ohio...it isnā€™t really a town name, itā€™s a brand name. Learn something new every day with this hobby!

Attachments

• 0D480A71-D64B-4CE5-874C-049DD2C1190A.jpg
    0D480A71-D64B-4CE5-874C-049DD2C1190A.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,748
Last edited:
I recently came across this issue myself after finding a dog tax tag in my front yard. Initially I thought that Oliver referred to the name of the dog, however some research led me to discover that this referred to the issuing township. D.T.11 stands for Dog Tax and the year 1911. Using this information I contacted the issuing township who replied that all of those records were forwarded on long ago to the encompassing county's treasurers office. After contacting the county treasurer, they told me that they only kept 7 years of such records. While I'll never be able to trace the history of that tag any farther, it still is a really cool and semi-rare find as pre-1950s/60s tags seem to be uncommon. Congrats on the find!

Attachments

• dog tax tag.jpg
    dog tax tag.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 1,621
2f5dbb06b515f15ba454829956fc0142.jpg

So I was wondering if anyone could tell me the possible name of dog or owner on this tag? I found the the while metal detecting in the forest in my back yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may try a title search of the property showing who was there in 1937.

Back
Top Bottom