• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Moral Dilema!?

bvpe

Okay, I've been hunting this honey hole over the past couple of months. I've been there 6 or 7 times times. Last Saturday I was literally three minutes on site when I was approached and I was told that I could only hunt Monday Through Friday for the time being. I said no problem and thanked the person and I left. I went back today, Monday, I stopped and talked to the folks there. I told them that I was asked not to be here on the weekend and that Monday through Friday were the only days I could detect. They said, go for it, however................another person asked if I had recovered any mens weddings bands.!.....PAUSE.............She went on to explain that two parties have approached them to let them know that their respective weddings bands have been lost.. Herein lies the dilema. Should I play pirate and say that no one prior had explained this to me and not mention whether or not I have found said bands? Or should I 'fess up and say, "yeah, I did find a couple of bands"? I went on this day and found yet another 14k mens gold ring along with a 14k earing and 3 sterling rings. I ask for your thoughts, I know Kharma plays into this for those that go for that but what about the "Blackbeard" in men!?

Okay, I've been hunting this honey hole over the past couple of months. I've been there 6 or 7 times times. Last Saturday I was literally three minutes on site when I was approached and I was told that I could only hunt Monday Through Friday for the time being. I said no problem and thanked the person and I left. I went back today, Monday, I stopped and talked to the folks there. I told them that I was asked not to be here on the weekend and that Monday through Friday were the only days I could detect. They said, go for it, however................another person asked if I had recovered any mens weddings bands.!.....PAUSE.............She went on to explain that two parties have approached them to let them know that their respective weddings bands have been lost.. Herein lies the dilema. Should I play pirate and say that no one prior had explained this to me and not mention whether or not I have found said bands? Or should I 'fess up and say, "yeah, I did find a couple of bands"? I went on this day and found yet another 14k mens gold ring along with a 14k earing and 3 sterling rings. I ask for your thoughts, I know Kharma plays into this for those that go for that but what about the "Blackbeard" in men!?

I would certainly ask the two parties to describe the bands.
(Don't tell them you have them yet)
If any match or have markings I would give it back in a heartbeat.

You'll feel much better knowing you gave back someones sign of love they lost instead of the melt value.

Check it out, if you believe it really is theirs give it back.

This is one of the ways Metal Detectors can change lives for the better and allow MD'res to go places maybe they haven't been before.

Its about discovery and adventure, but if you know something you found belongs to someone else, give it back.;)

Test,

Nope, haven't found any wedding bands, but if they could provide a description / inscription, etc, I'd be glad to return any I recover to the proper owners!

That'd be my answer. I'm glad to return items to the rightful owner, provided that they can satisfactorily describe the item BEFORE seeing it.

Lots of charlatans out there trying to work the system, ya know.

Ask them to identify the rings specifically (inscriptions, size, carat info etc.), tell them if you find anything like that you'll call them, then go home and think about it. Then follow your heart.

If they can identify any of the rings let them have it. (Karma thing). Just do not tell them what you have found. Just ask them to give you a discription of what they lost in case you find it. I say if they can't identify it it is yours. If they can then should rightfully be returned. Things like this make me wonder how many times someone has seen someone detecting and made up a story about losing a ring expecting that the MD'er would just show them what they found and then claim that IT'S THE ONE. Make them identify it or it is yours.

I think you will feel better if you let them know you found "something". Ask them if there are any identifing marks on the rings. If "push comes to shove", just give it to them!

NOTE: WOW! In the time I was typing my response, you got similar advice!

Last edited:
Same thing happened to me I thought my respones would be first. Turned out it was not.

I wouldn't say yes or no at this point just so your not lying. I would just ask them if they could get you a description of the rings you would let them know if you find anything that fits the description. Then as earlier mentioned, go home and ponder if what you have is likely what they have described. Men's wedding band is a very vague description. Even if it is a plain gold band, what size is it could narrow it down a little bit. If I knew for sure I had the one they were looking for I would turn it over, otherwise I am keeping my finds.

Maybe it was because of Kharma that they lost the rings in the first place because they beat their dogs and steal from their mothers? :mad: If they seemed like nice people and could ID it before they knew you found it then MAYBE. If it meant anything to most people they would have attempted a recovery of some sort. The amount of effort they put into finding the lost items would play into my decision to return the rings as well. Obviously they have a general idea of where the items were lost? I would talk to the "losers" and play it by ear. But there is a 90% chance I would not return anything. Might show a silver ring of a similar description and evaluate response. Maybe you could even have them pay you to search for the rings and make another $20? ;) Is that Blackbeard enough? With gold prices like they are, this scenario is just another reason to refine your finds ASAP! :money:

*The above statement is for entertainment purposes only and in no way reflects the views of the author.

Never found anything I could identify to someone, but if I ever do, I'll give it back!! Are you listening Saint Peter??!?!?!? :)

Dusty

Yeah, definately get in writing a description of what they lost (color, size, stones, engraving, etc), photos if possible or reciept, general location - and tell them you will concentrate on that area in hopes of finding something.

If you have found them and they have already proved they are theirs, no delima at all, find a nice box put some ribbon on it and return with Christmas wishes!

If they were vague or can offer no proofs other 'gold band'; again no delima - they are fishing for free gifts.....

Doesn't sound like someone trying get what you found as they didn't talk to you they reported it to the folks you spoke to and maybe before you found the rings regardless they didn't know you found a ring when they reported them lost . I would do the right thing like said if they can describe the rings you found.
You have to live with what you do in your own mind so its a decision only you can make .

Harold

Never volunteer any info but if they would ask if I had found ring that had such and such I would give it to them

If they can accurately describe the rings before, the answer to me is obvious, give them back their owner.

Yes i agree with everyone, ask them to describe the rings and if they sound like they actually know what they are talking about and have a good idea of the ring give it back. Its the right thing to do in my opinion. I actually found a cell phone last time I went hunting with my dad and we called the owners of the phone and dropped it off at a local coffee shop for them to pick up.

The more I detect, the more I think like this..

Sorry, shoulda kept a tighter grip on it. Metal detecting is an EXPENSIVE hobby, and finding gold is one way to offset the costs. I've said it before and I'll say it again, if it means that bloody much to these people, then they can go buy a metal detector and search for it themselves.

The one exception, is if someone asks me out to their property to find something, then I would do my best to find it, and return it if found. But if I find it without prior knowledge.. finders keepers.

Just return it.

Where's the fun in doing anything if you can't help out someone every once in a while.

You want to lie to people and make money run for office.

If you want to relax and have fun then metal detect.

Stop playing lawyer and just treat people how you would want to be treated by them.

Back
Top Bottom