• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Bit of an odd thought

Philbyfile

Forum Supporter
After reading the forums on cleaning coins, I noticed that one of the methods was using vinegar and salt. Since we are concerned with good stewardship of the environment (got to replace those plugs properly) I began to think about proper disposal of the vinegar/ salt solution after cleaning.

That made me wonder if anyone on here had used any of the higher concentration home and garden vinegars that are used for weed control as a cleaning agent? The used solution could be discarded as a herbicide (killing 2 birds with one stone).

Would this more powerful vinegar damage the coins?

Just idle curiosity.

I dont clean coins that I suspect or maybe worth something But I do clean all zincs that I dig and all clad coins . I dont use vinegar or salt I use Aqarium gravel with enough water to just be seen and 3 drops of dawn dish washing liquid cleans them good enough to send back to the banks for folding money ! Cleaned a batch the other day that where crusted over pretty bad from the sandy loam here in my area all zincs but one and it was 1948 wheat not worth anything but made my day just because it was wheatie I see these guys rubbing on coins all the time on some YT vids I dont bother looking to close as I dig and I dont rub on them I wait til I can get some water and soap and soft brush and check any I might think are key coins sad part is None have been but I feel sooner or later I will get Lucky

Back
Top Bottom