• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

How To Clean Silver Coins - Electrolysis Video

Swing4TheRing

Forum Supporter
I've seen quite a few posts asking how to clean silver coins. There are many methods and as most of us know, cleaning can cause excess damage and ruin potential value in especially key date coins.

But for those that just want a nice looking coin and don't plan on reselling it, but rather just have a nice looking coin for the showcase, I've included my video on a DIY electrolysis setup and process. If anyone has questions, feel free to chime in!

Maybe your coin and spoon had problems of some kind but I easily clean my silver coins and sterling with toothpaste and a gentle rubbing with my fingers. On some that are stubborn I use a toothbrush. They come out looking nice.
Thanks for the video.

Typically all I need to do is give the coin a rinse under water and the dirt comes off easily. At most I will give it a light brushing with a soft brush. Electrolysis is more necessary when cleaning silver items that came out of salt water, as they become heavily tarnished and encrusted.

I've seen quite a few posts asking how to clean silver coins. There are many methods and as most of us know, cleaning can cause excess damage and ruin potential value in especially key date coins.

But for those that just want a nice looking coin and don't plan on reselling it, but rather just have a nice looking coin for the showcase, I've included my video on a DIY electrolysis setup and process. If anyone has questions, feel free to chime in!

Thanks for the video swing, nicely done. Do you know if this will work on a heavily encrusted silver coins from the ocean? I have tried almost everything to clean these silver coins with no luck. I also tried electrolysis (though my 12v charger was suspect and maybe process slightly different....) with no luck.

Back
Top Bottom