1860 Presidential Campaign Token

off the iron

Elite Member
Pics are from 3 hunts last week.

The highlight, and probably my best find to date, is the 1860 Presidential Campaign Token of Stephan A. Douglas and Herschel V. Johnson. When I dug it I initially thought it was a 4 hole button. However, when I got home I noticed it had a reeded edge and quickly realized I had something much better.

I finally unearth a V nickel! I hadn't dug one since I started detecting, and was very pumped to get this. Its an 1883 which is the first year these were minted.

I was also able to pick up a 1942 Washington, a 1936 buff, a few wheats, a cool little pin, a 1959 dog license, and two small pieces of lead - a bail seal and a musket ball.

Thanks for looking, hope your all getting out

Attachments

• 3. March 18,20,22 Instagram.jpg
    3. March 18,20,22 Instagram.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 492
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 497
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 485
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 494
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 481
Fantastic mixed bag hunt.Congrats on the shiny, Buff, wheats and super cool token. Also attaboy on your first V nickel. Does it have the word cents on the back or just the V. The one with cents is the good one but the one without has a cool story to go with it. Love the dog tag. Again congrats and good luck, Mark

Wow, those are excellent pix. Like you can almost reach out and pick up one of those green patina wheaties ! And great follow-through research .

Wow, those are excellent pix. Like you can almost reach out and pick up one of those green patina wheaties ! And great follow-through research .

Wow, that's an amazing find. Congrats!

Thanks you guys, I hope the movement freeze in CA comes to a quick and safe end.

When I realized it was a token I though it was JamFlicker’esq. I’ve said it before but you get some great ones.

Fantastic mixed bag hunt.Congrats on the shiny, Buff, wheats and super cool token. Also attaboy on your first V nickel. Does it have the word cents on the back or just the V. The one with cents is the good one but the one without has a cool story to go with it. Love the dog tag. Again congrats and good luck, Mark

Tough to say. The back is fairly roached. I could convince myself for either version!

A great variety of finds, but that presidential token is really cool! Something you would probably only find once in a lifetime!

That is a very neat and historic recovery Liam. Congrats on the , the Silver Washington, the Buffalo, Wheat's and all the rest. And yes on finally digging your white whale with your first "V". I know that feeling as the "V" was mine also took me just under 10 years to get my first. Then last year I dug 3 and now so far this year I have dug another 3. Hope that happens for you. Trapper

That Presidential Campaign Token is cool. One of my favorite finds is also a campaign toke from 1872 for Ulysses S. Grant. Found in a yard that at one time was part of a plantation here in Jacksonville Fl.

Attachments

• U.S. Grant 8-16-19 01.jpg
    U.S. Grant 8-16-19 01.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 337
  • U.S. Grant 8-16-19 02.jpg
    U.S. Grant 8-16-19 02.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 321
Back
Top Bottom