• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Metal Detecting Hunt -- 3+ Hours Getting Reaquainted With My AT Pro!

Pennyfinder

Elite Member
We had a typical Spring Day for the first day of March. It was 62 degrees today. So after church I could not resist spending the better part of the afternoon at a couple of local school grounds "coin hunting"!

Normally, I use the Tesoro Compadre (which I took with me and left in the truck in case I couldn't handle the AT Pro). My biggest issue is getting the AT Pro properly ground balanced where it doesn't constantly make noise unless I have a decent target sound. I managed to get it ground balanced good enough and had it in Pro/Coins with all iron eliminated. It worked great today -- for me anyway. I found lots of coins -- biggest QUARTER DAY in a long time. Hardly found any junk. I did find a large hair barrette -- too bad I have short hair now! :p

It was a LONG day for me but amazingly I didn't get all that tired -- I guess because I was actually having fun with the AT Pro. I usually can't make it work right -- always making a lot of noise. Today I had it set just right where it acted pretty much like the Compadre (only making noise when it is over a target).

Thanks For Looking! Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

Attachments

• MD Hunt 03-01-2020.jpg
    MD Hunt 03-01-2020.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 337
Nice hunt...….I'm surprised you have a little trouble with your AT Pro making a lot of noise. I use one and it runs quiet as a mouse. Possibly different soil type in your neck of the woods? Common ground balance numbers up here is 88-90.
My AT Max is a bit noisy but I eliminate that by backing the threshold to a setting of -2, but the Pro doesn't have that feature on it.

Nice hunt...….I'm surprised you have a little trouble with your AT Pro making a lot of noise. I use one and it runs quiet as a mouse. Possibly different soil type in your neck of the woods? Common ground balance numbers up here is 88-90..

I do have trouble with interference with power lines occasionally but where I was yesterday that was not the issue. I ground balance until it is quiet or quieter that may not be the right way to do it but it worked for me yesterday. Sometimes the ground is really trashy in the places I go but yesterday I don't think that was the problem. Yesterday it ground balanced pretty good obviously or I wouldn't have found all that I did!

I like the AT Pro for its ability to distinguish the various types of metals. I used to always use a Pioneer 101 or 202 from Wally World that did the same thing in that sense. But I don't have them anymore and I had always wanted the AT Pro. It is a much heavier machine than I am use to. I normally carry and use the Tesoro Compadre which is very light compared to this AT Pro.

The areas that I go to with the Compadre have been worked over by me and many others and the Compadre just doesn't have the depth ability that the AT Pro does. So I wanted to see if I could get targets that were a bit deeper and yesterday proved that. So I'm just going to have to get used to the added weight if I want to find more. I'm not used to all the numbers and what they signify. I know some of the numbers and their meaning most of the time sometimes I'm fooled. But the fun lies in the unexpected surprise when something really good pops out when you were expecting a pull tab or a nickel. I guess I just need time and patience to learn to use the AT Pro again.

I do have trouble with interference with power lines occasionally but where I was yesterday that was not the issue. I ground balance until it is quiet or quieter that may not be the right way to do it but it worked for me yesterday. Sometimes the ground is really trashy in the places I go but yesterday I don't think that was the problem. Yesterday it ground balanced pretty good obviously or I wouldn't have found all that I did!

I like the AT Pro for its ability to distinguish the various types of metals. I used to always use a Pioneer 101 or 202 from Wally World that did the same thing in that sense. But I don't have them anymore and I had always wanted the AT Pro. It is a much heavier machine than I am use to. I normally carry and use the Tesoro Compadre which is very light compared to this AT Pro.

The areas that I go to with the Compadre have been worked over by me and many others and the Compadre just doesn't have the depth ability that the AT Pro does. So I wanted to see if I could get targets that were a bit deeper and yesterday proved that. So I'm just going to have to get used to the added weight if I want to find more. I'm not used to all the numbers and what they signify. I know some of the numbers and their meaning most of the time sometimes I'm fooled. But the fun lies in the unexpected surprise when something really good pops out when you were expecting a pull tab or a nickel. I guess I just need time and patience to learn to use the AT Pro again.
Good luck with your AT Pro . Once you get used to it, I'm sure that it will find a lot of the good stuff for you.

I would do a factory reset to start off.. Just hold the power button in for a few seconds and it'll reset itself, I've had to do that when switching coil sometimes.
And the frequency shift really works great, I've experienced alot of emi with the at pro in areas,, and do a frequency shift and it's deathly quite... It should not be noisy tho, not with a frequency shift and a factory reset.

Nice finds ,, congrats

Nice finds Penny, congrats! I use the AT Pro all over Montana and have never had a problem with it being noisy or unstable. EMI once in a while but like the others said a slight freq change and I am quiet again. It is a good machine, and does get the coins.

I would do a factory reset to start off.. Just hold the power button in for a few seconds and it'll reset itself, I've had to do that when switching coil sometimes.
And the frequency shift really works great, I've experienced alot of emi with the at pro in areas,, and do a frequency shift and it's deathly quite... It should not be noisy tho, not with a frequency shift and a factory reset.

Nice finds ,, congrats

Thanks I'll try that next time I'm out for a quick hunt when I take the AT Pro.

Take off your coil cover and clean both....
Just a thought. Its worked for me. Made GB a lot better.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

At Woodbutcher --

I did a reset and ground balanced again and took out the iron. Much improved on my latest hunt I was able to distinguish each type of coin signal!

Take off your coil cover and clean both....
Just a thought. Its worked for me. Made GB a lot better.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I tried to get the coil cover off it's on there so tight I could not budge it.

Back
Top Bottom