Old schoolhouse

JohnnyPhoenix

Today I went back to this schoolhouse where I found a 1904 IHP a couple of weeks ago. There's an electric cattle fence that was causing interference with the Nox so I thought I'd try the F75 instead...yeah, I should write comedy for a living.

I ended up have to move away from the fence to keep from getting annoyed with all the falsing even with sensitivity below 50. I ended up finding three decent signals in the pasture below. A shoe token of some sort and a locket cover. I detected for about a half hour before rain started to set in and I didn't have the sneeze guard for the F75.

IMG_8581.jpg

IMG_8583.jpg

IMG_8585.jpg

Couple awesome finds, both are cool but I love the old tokens. Always wanted a F75, how do you like it compared to the Nox?

It's kinda hard to give a good comparison of both detectors. They each seem to shine under certain conditions. I had the Nox out at the "silver mine" and all I found was a 70-something penny. Next time I took the F75 because it was really windy (30 MPH+) and the Black Widow headphones do a great job of cutting wind noise. I found a Merc and a couple of clad quarters. I went back with the Nox and found 3 clad dimes, all in the same area as the previous 2 hunts.

Now I will give the nod to the Nox when in heavy iron. But I have the Nel Sharpshooter coil on the F75 and it balances better. I also like the "can tone" when over an aluminum can. And the battery life on the F75 is killer. Now if I took someone detecting and had to lend them a detector, I would keep the F75 and lend out the Nox, but I have more time on the F75 (got it in 2010) and I can explain the operation of the Nox to a new user better. The F75 has a wider selection of coils.

So, if I have to choose one...oh wait, I own both, so I don't have to!

JP

It's kinda hard to give a good comparison of both detectors. They each seem to shine under certain conditions. I had the Nox out at the "silver mine" and all I found was a 70-something penny. Next time I took the F75 because it was really windy (30 MPH+) and the Black Widow headphones do a great job of cutting wind noise. I found a Merc and a couple of clad quarters. I went back with the Nox and found 3 clad dimes, all in the same area as the previous 2 hunts.

Now I will give the nod to the Nox when in heavy iron. But I have the Nel Sharpshooter coil on the F75 and it balances better. I also like the "can tone" when over an aluminum can. And the battery life on the F75 is killer. Now if I took someone detecting and had to lend them a detector, I would keep the F75 and lend out the Nox, but I have more time on the F75 (got it in 2010) and I can explain the operation of the Nox to a new user better. The F75 has a wider selection of coils.

So, if I have to choose one...oh wait, I own both, so I don't have to!

JP

Thanks for the info. Having an available coil selection no doubt adds incredible value and capability to any detector. The way of the proprietary "chipped" coils from minelab are always a deterrent in the back of my mind.

Take a ctx there!!! If you don’t have one just send me the address;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You stay away from Wisconsin with your CTX Vic... your a little deadly with that. You come up here you can use my metal detecting Flip Flops thats it. :lol:

Nobody goes to the "silver mine" but me!

I jokingly call it that because I've pulled 16 silver dimes and 2 silver quarters form an area less than a half acre. The discovery of the site was serendipitous. I was detecting at a (undisclosed, duh!?!) place and only finding post '64 coins. This huge German Sheppard snuck up from behind and scared the living !!!! out of me, one eye brown, the other blue. I thought I was done for! Anyway, Buck, turned out to be nice. A lady was walking back from her mail box so I flagged her down to ask who the dog belonged to. We talked for a bit, I learned Buck lived down the street, and the park I was detecting in was older than indicated. I made mention of the age of things I was finding and she (in her 60's) remembered playing in the park and it hosting baseball games when she was really young. Then, she said "come to think of it, we used to play at the other end of the field." Later, she brought me a book of the town's history with photos that the historical society had produced. I saw where all the cars were park in the late 50's, thanked her profusely, and made a bee-line for the spot. Within 5 minutes I found a '29 quarter. I also found a couple of Eisenhower silver dimes. Upon subsequent visits, I've mostly found silver dimes with an additional silver quarter and some clad. All in an area nobody would think to check. Based on the dates, my guess is in the early '60's there was a traveling carnival that had a dime arcade, as most of the finds are rather linear.

The schoolhouse site is rather unique as it isn't on any available map that I'm aware of. The only reason I know the old foundation is from a schoolhouse is I know the landowner, and he has a desk from it. His parents/grandparents went to the school and we think it may date to the late 1800's. It was closed prior to 1950 and I'm working the determine the exact date. The owner is going to find the abstract so we can nail down some firm dates.

As our stay at home order continues, I have a few cellar hole I've located, so I have someplace to occupy my time.

JP

Nobody goes to the "silver mine" but me!

I jokingly call it that because I've pulled 16 silver dimes and 2 silver quarters form an area less than a half acre. The discovery of the site was serendipitous. I was detecting at a (undisclosed, duh!?!) place and only finding post '64 coins. This huge German Sheppard snuck up from behind and scared the living !!!! out of me, one eye brown, the other blue. I thought I was done for! Anyway, Buck, turned out to be nice. A lady was walking back from her mail box so I flagged her down to ask who the dog belonged to. We talked for a bit, I learned Buck lived down the street, and the park I was detecting in was older than indicated. I made mention of the age of things I was finding and she (in her 60's) remembered playing in the park and it hosting baseball games when she was really young. Then, she said "come to think of it, we used to play at the other end of the field." Later, she brought me a book of the town's history with photos that the historical society had produced. I saw where all the cars were park in the late 50's, thanked her profusely, and made a bee-line for the spot. Within 5 minutes I found a '29 quarter. I also found a couple of Eisenhower silver dimes. Upon subsequent visits, I've mostly found silver dimes with an additional silver quarter and some clad. All in an area nobody would think to check. Based on the dates, my guess is in the early '60's there was a traveling carnival that had a dime arcade, as most of the finds are rather linear.

The schoolhouse site is rather unique as it isn't on any available map that I'm aware of. The only reason I know the old foundation is from a schoolhouse is I know the landowner, and he has a desk from it. His parents/grandparents went to the school and we think it may date to the late 1800's. It was closed prior to 1950 and I'm working the determine the exact date. The owner is going to find the abstract so we can nail down some firm dates.

As our stay at home order continues, I have a few cellar hole I've located, so I have someplace to occupy my time.

JP

Keep us posted

Addendum: apparently this token is kinda rare. Most were "Boy Scouts" versions with very few "World Scouts" being made. Make you wonder how it ever made it into a cow pasture in southwest Wisconsin...

JP

Sounds like a real "secret hotspot" you got there. I've seen that awesome token on this forum before, but not sure if it said World Scouts. I like the design of the moon & star thing too. No corrosion, so I'm thinking sterling.
GL & HH!

Went back for 30 minutes today with the CZ-20 before thunderstorms force me to retreat. The older machine handled the electric fence better, but I still had to run weak , sensitivity of 5. Found a 1916 penny that was not deep at all, maybe 3"? However, the trend here is the wrong direction 1904->1910->1912->1916...

JP

Back
Top Bottom