I’m Down Wit OCC!(Wisconsin Old Coin Contest)

Thanks IDX, definitely copper, and you can see it in person anytime. At first I thought it was a badge or medal of some kind, but once I saw a face, I knew it was a coin. This was actually found in Racine, not Milwaukee, but I guess both cities were active around the same time:D

Last edited:
UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE! HEAR YE HEAR YE!

We have a winner for the 2019 Wisconsin Old Coin Contest! For no less than the SECOND time, Matmit has taken the crown! A date of 1819 on a Large Cent rules the roost for this year, and THAT around here is almost impossible to beat.
For those of you who hunted hard and gave serious thought to this contest, congratulations to ALL of you! The whole point of the contest is to get people to focus on finding, well...OLD COINS! At times I think of the fabled Forrest Fenn treasure and how many people have, do and will hunt for it. This is a similar thing, and to see each and every old coin come out of the ground is a leg of this journey we will never forget. We can each recall where our really good coins came from...it’s burned into our memories from the excitement of the moment. I know this firsthand, and wouldn’t have it any other way.
CONGRATULATIONS MATMIT ON A GAME WELL PLAYED!!:dingding::dingding::dingding:

Yes. Huge CONGRATS matmit!! Nice to see it was an even two hundred year old coin that reigned superior! It's rare to find any coins in Wisconsin, that make Indianhead cents look modern!

Great job Matt!! I will say this over and over again this contest lays in the trenches of tear outs and homes/fields! Your the master of them all! Could not go to a nicer guy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone, especially IDX for this amazing contest!

I do believe that timing is as important, if not more important, than location.
Realizing that history is all around us, it is still amazing to find such old coins here in the Midwest.
It appears that Large cents have set the new standard for oldies.

Happy Hunting Everybody

Pretty cool contest! I enjoyed reading the posts and seeing the oldies. 1819 is amazingly old!

This encourages me to bring etrac next time I visit my brother in WI. Do contestants receive complimentary mosquito repellent? Last summer I was chased out of the woods in Genoa City by those buggers.

Have a great winter y'all.

Congratulations Matt 👍.
200+ year old coin. And a second title is worthy of celebration.
Way to go champ.

And thank you again IDX for another great contest season .
2019 in the books .
, Dew

Pretty cool contest! I enjoyed reading the posts and seeing the oldies. 1819 is amazingly old!

This encourages me to bring etrac next time I visit my brother in WI. Do contestants receive complimentary mosquito repellent? Last summer I was chased out of the woods in Genoa City by those buggers.

Have a great winter y'all.

“Complimentary mosquito repellent”.....:lol::lol::lol: There are certain times of the season when they don’t care WHAT you have on. The best repellent is CLOTHING. Long thick sleeves, heavy jeans, leather gloves, glasses....all of it. I’ve had them bite me on the back of the hand right through Mechanix gloves. The ABSOLUTE best repellent spray I’ve used is called....
Annie Oakley “Don’t Touch Me”. It’s expensive at 13$ for 4 oz but it WORKS, and it doesn’t MAR plastic, headphone cups, camera screens and cases, etc. And it has a pleasant scent...you kinda get to smell like a girl with a good reason. I’ve used EVERY other repellent available on the market, this works the best against mosquitos, chiggers, gnats, no see ums, etc.
You are more than welcome to come look, the COIN just has to be found in Wisconsin, the hunter can be from anywhere....:yes:

Today I received my much awaited, anticipated prize.
I cannot describe how grateful I am for this fantastic contest put on by such a selfless individual.
I received 12 silver coins! (This puts me way over 50 for the year)
These range from the seated half-dime all the way up to my nemesis Big Ben:shock::shock:
Thank you again Kevin for putting on this contest, I believe it keeps us on our toes in search of the oldest coin in Wisconsin.

Attachments

• 12-14-19 OCC prize.jpg
    12-14-19 OCC prize.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 222
  • 12-14-19 OCC 2.jpg
    12-14-19 OCC 2.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 229
I cannot describe how grateful I am for this fantastic contest put on by such a selfless individual.
These range from the seated half-dime all the way up to my nemesis Big Ben:shock::shock:
Thank you again Kevin for putting on this contest, I believe it keeps us on our toes in search of the oldest coin in Wisconsin.

Holy smokes !!! Are you telling me you have won coins actually dug by IDX monster himself ? 😍
I’d kill for a cigarette butt that guy had sitting in the T handle of his digging shovel 🤔
Congratulations again Matt ( two time champ)

Butt’s on the way Brad...I included ALL of the ashes too for your potpourri burner.
I call it “Essence du Monstier”....don’t breathe too deep.

Wow

WOW What a pile of booty, oh man , slam slam trifecta, congratulations Matt, well done. You've got a bunch of great brothers up there. HH Mark

Congratulations on a stunner to win it Matt, one day I’ll dig something that old...maybe! It’s obviously out there, it HAS to be, and the last few years have proven that in spades. In the end, the best part about this contest is the page views it has generated...4,255 at last count, and that’s exactly what the intention is. Getting people interested and revved up to get out and give it their best shot, and as we all know, lightning can strike at ANY time!
Merry Xmas to all involved(or not involved) and keep tuning those machines and skills! You just never know WHAT you’re going to dig up next....

I've been out a couple times so I'm reviving this thread for the new season.

Found this today in a farm field where there used to be a farm house. 1854 large cent.

Except on the reverse, it doesn't say cent. The letter E was changed. Had heard about them, but never found one before.

Attachments

• 000_4992.jpg
    000_4992.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 146
I live near Mineral Point and the area has occupied since the 1820's so there has got to be some old coins laying around this place?! I guess
I'll to have visit a couple of trading post coordinates I worked out a few years ago.

JP

I'm in. I just picked up a Vanquish 540 3 days ago. I had a whites something or another about a decade ago but didn't use it much before I sold it.

edit, I guess I'm a bit late! I didn't see this was last years contest.

Back
Top Bottom