White's MXT detector compared to more modern detectors

somevermontdude

Hello!

I am currently using a borrowed White's MXT tracker e-series eclipse 950 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxkTBclaTyw) detector from someone unlikely to use it again, which is doing the job nicely it seems. However, I do have issues with it where it'll detect something, and I start digging, and the signal completely goes away, with the Garrett pinpointer confirming that, making it a false reading. Considering I do my detecting in the woods, dealing with roots and stuff, it can get pretty frustrating.

I've been trying to find what makes more modern detectors like the XP Deus or a Garrett different than my now older MXT, but outside of appearing that they do a better job at prospecting (which I have no interest in), have better depth, and are lighter (which isn't an issue for me), I'm not finding a lot. Is it worth investing in something more modern? What do they offer that the MXT doesn't? The MXT still seems really solid from what I've read, but am looking for any input folks may have. I'm willing to upgrade if it makes sense. Would I still encounter these "false positive" issues?

Its a good detector.. I own one and still use it... I hunt only in relic mode 2 tone with very little disc as I want to hear the iron... its deep enough to compete...

I had a permission which I did very well on and after I was finished I let my friend with his Nox hit it and he only found a button and 2 wheats I missed...

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=264955

One of the better relic hunters Heavymetalnut still hunts with the MXT all Pro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V2fPbf0jIA

Hello!

I am currently using a borrowed White's MXT tracker e-series eclipse 950 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxkTBclaTyw) detector from someone unlikely to use it again, which is doing the job nicely it seems. However, I do have issues with it where it'll detect something, and I start digging, and the signal completely goes away, with the Garrett pinpointer confirming that, making it a false reading. Considering I do my detecting in the woods, dealing with roots and stuff, it can get pretty frustrating.

I've been trying to find what makes more modern detectors like the XP Deus or a Garrett different than my now older MXT, but outside of appearing that they do a better job at prospecting (which I have no interest in), have better depth, and are lighter (which isn't an issue for me), I'm not finding a lot. Is it worth investing in something more modern? What do they offer that the MXT doesn't? The MXT still seems really solid from what I've read, but am looking for any input folks may have. I'm willing to upgrade if it makes sense. Would I still encounter these "false positive" issues?

The MXT has been used by many over the years, found a ton, many still use them.
Had a few different models over the years but all seek to work pretty well as an all around tool for finding most things we look for.
Lots of info, manuals and reviews online...
https://www.detectorprospector.com/files/file/186-whites-mxt-950-user-guide/

As far as those false signals, sorry...we all get them on most detectors from time to time from vintage to the most modern.
I have a Equinox, one of the newer very popular models, friends hunt with a Deus, AT Pros and other friends with other brands and models, we all get them...especially in my rough dirt.

Iron can cause this sometimes, it should be low but it can wraparound and come in high and the iron doesn't even need to be under the coil, it can be a few inches away or deep.

A few clues and tips to help you...

If you have a pinpointer on the MXT, (not sure), or use any detector with a pinpoint feature if you think you know the area where the target is but you pinpoint and see something that is a few inches away from that spot instead it is probably iron and falsing.

False high tones sometimes don't sound the same as real high to be targets...more "sqeaky" and not so solid.

As I mentioned in my dirt I get these all the time, it is infested with actual iron and the mineralized soil is black dirt mixed with red oxide clay, sometimes I get some pretty good signals that pinpoint great and sound decent but open a hole and...nothing.
I used to dig empty holes like you but I got tired of it so now I do this.
If I get a signal I am not sure of I simply stick my digger in the dirt next to that signal a few inches deep like I was going to dig a plug but I don't.
I just pull the blade back a bit and lift the dirt up slightly and rescan.
Doing this breaks what we call the "Iron Halo", which is what can happen when iron sits in one place too long and rusts.
9 out of ten times in the rescan the high tone reverts to total iron or the signal disappears completely which tells me the signal was false and triggered by something else in the vicinity but not where I thought that target was...or just the dirt did it.
If I went after that signal I would have found nothing but now I just tamp the dirt back into place and move on.
Saved me a ton of time, energy and frustration opening up empty holes.

You already do this on these signals but you go to far, instead of breaking that halo and then checking again you continue to dig the hole and then get frustrated when nothing is there.
Don't do that anymore, just do it the way I do with one slit, break up the dirt a bit and rescan before you go all in and open the hole.
It works, you'll see.

Had a few different models over the years but all seek to work pretty well as an all around tool for finding most things we look for.

As far as those false signals, sorry...we all get them on most detectors from time to time from vintage to the most modern.
I have a Equinox, one of the newer very popular models, friends hunt with a Deus, AT Pros and other friends with other brands and models, we all get them...especially in my rough dirt.

Iron can cause this sometimes, it should be low but it can wraparound and come in high and the iron doesn't even need to be under the coil, it can be a few inches away or deep.

If you have a pinpointer on the MXT, (not sure), or use any detector with a pinpoint feature if you think you know the area where the target is but you pinpoint and see something that is a few inches away from that spot instead it is probably iron and falsing.

False high tones sometimes don't sound the same as real high to be targets...more "sqeaky" and not so solid.

As I mentioned in my dirt I get these all the time, it is infested with actual iron and the mineralized soil is black dirt mixed with red oxide clay, sometimes I get some pretty good signals that pinpoint great and sound decent but open a hole and...nothing.
If I get a signal I am not sure of I simply stick my digger in the dirt next to that signal a few inches deep like I was going to dig a plug but I don't.
Doing this breaks what we call the "Iron Halo", which is what can happen when iron sits in one place too long and rusts.
9 out of ten times in the rescan the high tone reverts to total iron or the signal disappears completely which tells me the signal was false and triggered by something else in the vicinity but not where I thought that target was...or just the dirt did it.
If I went after that signal I would have found nothing but now I just tamp the dirt back into place and move on.

You already do this on these signals but you go to far, instead of breaking that halo and then checking again you continue to dig the hole and then get frustrated when nothing is there.
Don't do that anymore, just do it the way I do with one slit, break up the dirt a bit and rescan before you go all in and open the hole.
It works, you'll see.

Thanks for the information, and the tips about the false positives! It sounds like there's not a real need to upgrade from what you and Cfmct mentioned, and that there's not a lot to gain from the expense of a good, new one.

The MXT doesn't have a pinpointer but I have a Garrett carrot. I think your suggestion of just making a small hole and rescanning before digging and iffy target completely, and confirming with the pinpointer, is a good one. What you're describing is exactly what I've experienced. I'll try it out the next time I go out. Only been out a few times over a couple of months, so still pretty new.

Thanks for the information, and the tips about the false positives! It sounds like there's not a real need to upgrade from what you and Cfmct mentioned, and that there's not a lot to gain from the expense of a good, new one.

The MXT doesn't have a pinpointer but I have a Garrett carrot. I think your suggestion of just making a small hole and rescanning before digging and iffy target completely, and confirming with the pinpointer, is a good one. What you're describing is exactly what I've experienced. I'll try it out the next time I go out. Only been out a few times over a couple of months, so still pretty new.

Don't even need a hole, just stick your digger in the dirt as deep as you can, pull back towards you and barely lift the dirt in that area.
Won't take much, you will break the halo, or whatever is happening down there, and get a more accurate reading.
When I do it about half the signals turn to definite iron and the other half just disappear completely.
Those few that remain with a solid tone and decent stable numbers I dig.

Look up test gardens on this forum, hunters plant coins and other targets at different depths and use them to test their detectors, new coils, different settings and whatever.
Some have had these gardens on their property for many years.
You will notice that most think brand new gardens with just dug dirt isn't the best time to test detectors...sometimes all readings are off, depth, numbers, and more.
If you can get a reading at all.
Many believe it takes time, weeks, months, even a year or more for the ground to settle enough to actually replicate what we come across out in the field.
We call this forming a matrix.

What you are doing by sticking your digger in the vicinity and slightly disrupting the area by moving the dirt even just a little is disturbing or breaking that matrix...a bad kind, not the good kind we try to form in a test garden.

Once you know how things work it is easy to deal with them with a little common sense and knowledge.
Try this and report back, pretty sure this simple thing will make your life a lot easier as you put in the hours hunting and learning the hobby.

MXT pro

I have used mine for years. It works ++ with an in line probe. I also hunt only in relic mode.

Drawback is weight and bulk compared to newer designs.

I bought a new MX sport........I recommend you stay away from that.

simply stick my digger in the dirt next to that signal a few inches deep like I was going to dig a plug but I don't.
Doing this breaks what we call the "Iron Halo"

Boy, I remember those targets. Dig down seven or eight inches in hard clay then you begin to see the tell-tell red oxide color of rust. If I had only read this back when I was swinging the MXT it would have save me a ton of aggravation.

I still have my MXT, coils and Sunray inline pinpointer. I just can't bring myself to part with them. Very dependable and deep. Learn to recognize "whispers" and you'll be a happy man.

As for being a little heavy,,, yes they are. I used to run a long bungee cord from the belt loop above my left rear pants pocket, over my right shoulder, then around the pistol grip of the MXT. That would support the weight, yet still let me stretch it out easily. As an extra benefit,,, it kept my pants up while detecting also. You can get a commercially made sling, but a bungee will take the load off just as well.

Have fun and happy hunting!!

It works, you'll see.

This is a great post!

As Digger said iron is very hard for any machine. Some of the newer ones like the XP Deus and Minelab Equinox series are much better at it but still get fooled. They make it much easier to tell the difference between iron and a good target hiding though. It's a more stable and better target ID as well.

Call us with any questions. We can go over several options.

You should just run the hell out of the MXT and consider upgrading to an Eclipse DD 6"x10" coil or 10" round DD coil. MXTs run better with DD coils and especially in heavily mineralized soil, which it sounds like you have. I prefer the 6x10.

Don't even need a hole, just stick your digger in the dirt as deep as you can, pull back towards you and barely lift the dirt in that area.
Won't take much, you will break the halo, or whatever is happening down there, and get a more accurate reading.
When I do it about half the signals turn to definite iron and the other half just disappear completely.
Those few that remain with a solid tone and decent stable numbers I dig.

Look up test gardens on this forum, hunters plant coins and other targets at different depths and use them to test their detectors, new coils, different settings and whatever.
Some have had these gardens on their property for many years.
You will notice that most think brand new gardens with just dug dirt isn't the best time to test detectors...sometimes all readings are off, depth, numbers, and more.
If you can get a reading at all.
Many believe it takes time, weeks, months, even a year or more for the ground to settle enough to actually replicate what we come across out in the field.
We call this forming a matrix.

What you are doing by sticking your digger in the vicinity and slightly disrupting the area by moving the dirt even just a little is disturbing or breaking that matrix...a bad kind, not the good kind we try to form in a test garden.

Once you know how things work it is easy to deal with them with a little common sense and knowledge.
Try this and report back, pretty sure this simple thing will make your life a lot easier as you put in the hours hunting and learning the hobby.

Hi -
Both this and your previous post really helped. Since I first posted this I found a really good foundation site and there's a section in what would have been their side yard where I got a lot of these kind of super iffy hits, some of which even rang up as non-iron. I was there with a group, including a couple kids (being like 10-12) who didn't really care what they were digging up, so I ran a few experiments on these based on what you stated and tasked them with a lot of the digging. The best thing was to dig a couple inches down, or just part of a plug if roots aren't in the way and use the detector again. If it was still super iffy, it was always a small nail or some small unidentifiable piece of metal around the size of a BB. Only one time the target improved and turned out to be a random bit of scrap metal. It always rang lower after doing this though. A couple times the pointer confirmed there was something there but it was too small to find. As a relic hunter I don't mind digging something iron (excluding obvious nails), but based on that experiment, I'm likely just not going to bother with these.

I'd imagine something like a Deus or Garrett AT MAX would probably handle these better, but I feel like I can risk missing a bit of an iron something or two and save the cash.

It appears as though you have only used a detector a handful of times and a lot of the answers you seek will come from actually swinging a coil.

Put in some hours on your MXT and you will slowly learn your machine. You can't think your way into learning it. I think we all thought we could in the beginning, but it just doesn't work that way.

As I previously posted, get a DD coil. The MXT was made to run a DD coil and the combination works particularly well in heavily mineralized soil.

Last edited:
I feel the White's MXT and ML Sov GT will always be "go to" machines even w/o all the bells & whistles.

Back
Top Bottom