What's a good ring ratio?

ringsandthings

We have been detecting for about 3 months now and have found a dozen. 1 legitimate gold diamond ring and the rest were cheap. My question to the group is: Is this a normal ratio? Do wedding rings just fit better and therefore are harder to fall off? It should be noted that we have a cheap detector and we dig everything but Iron(we dig iron on beach-2 iron musketballs!) I know 3 months isn't a long time but we have about 150 hours in detecting and the areas we comb over are well trafficked. We will take any advice, Thanks.

There is no ratio. If you hunt where someone lost one, you might find it. But if you hunt where none were lost, you won't find one.

Absolutely no science to where a ring might be or might not be. Chances are if you hunt the water you will find a ring.

We have been detecting for about 3 months now and have found a dozen. 1 legitimate gold diamond ring and the rest were cheap. My question to the group is: Is this a normal ratio? Do wedding rings just fit better and therefore are harder to fall off? It should be noted that we have a cheap detector and we dig everything but Iron(we dig iron on beach-2 iron musketballs!) I know 3 months isn't a long time but we have about 150 hours in detecting and the areas we comb over are well trafficked. We will take any advice, Thanks.

Dude, I haven't even found a cheapo ring in 2 years. You must be in ring heaven! My ratio:

Every 1,000,000 holes: One ring.

Bam. Clear and simple.

Josh

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I can think of parks where you would be there for weeks, and accumulate 500 aluminum items, before ever getting a gold ring. And I can think of a storm eroded beach scenario , where I got 5 gold rings in a day, and zero aluminum items (mother nature washed away all the light stuff).

So as you can see, the answer to your question is : Location location location (and perhaps timing timing timing :cool3: )

Actually , in truth there is science to finding rings. It's called NUMBERS. Bottomline. It's true that location plays a big major part of the equation. And the more people on any given beach will yield more rings. You will of course find large numbers of everything else that goes with it. Including more hunters. When you hunt long enough you don't really keep track of exact ratios. But not long ago , I did 12 hunts over 3 weeks : no rings. Then the next hunt I find 8 rings. How many targets do I dig before I find a ring ? I have no idea. GL....

I can think of parks where you would be there for weeks, and accumulate 500 aluminum items, before ever getting a gold ring. And I can think of a storm eroded beach scenario , where I got 5 gold rings in a day, and zero aluminum items (mother nature washed away all the light stuff).

So as you can see, the answer to your question is : Location location location (and perhaps timing timing timing :cool3: )

Gosh, you almost say location location location every single time! (I say this in a good way ;)) Maybe you should be Tom_in_location!

Josh

:lol::lol::lol:

I’ve put time in hunting lakefront beaches and turf for 12 years. I have found dozens of rings, just none gold.

I've been detecting for about 2 and a 1/2 years now. My ring count is up to about 18. I have one wedding band that is part silver/part gold, pretty cheap as wedding bands go. I found it along the edge of a basketball court in a school yard. I also found a 1940's/50's silver in a park right across the street from an old church. Generally though, I'm not specifically looking for rings. I'm looking for anything deeper and older here in the Midwest. If a ring comes up, great! If you want to watch some youtube videos of someone who is VERY successful at finding rings, watch "MDing ETex with Kevin". He generally hunts every Saturday for several hours and then puts a 10-12 minute video up every Sunday afternoon. If I remember correctly, he's been hunting for about 9-10 years and his ring count is in the mid 500's. He has videos on his channel showing specifically where and how he hunts and also some videos showing his better finds. Believe me, the guy has found some SWEET rings over the years!

Thanks for all your advice gang. It's not that I'm greedy, we go into every hunt with a goal of a wheat penny. It's just so weird that the majority of rings that we have found have been cheap. The cheap rings just let us know we are looking in the right place I guess. Metal Detecto, my advice for you would be to find virgin ground and well trafficked areas. We go non-conventional a lot. Our beaches suck because of tourist and local guys getting out there early. Plus, the part of California we are in isn't a "BLING" on the beach kind of area. Some of the more overlooked parks can be great(the major parks here have been picked over 20 years ago). That's been our honey hole thus far. We have found an iron musketball, several wheaties, 1 gold ring and 2 precious metal crosses in those areas where others haven't gone or haven't used their cheap detector on. Also, look at old fire maps to see what was in your area 100 years ago. We are new but we have realized, 50% of this game is looking at history and the people who were there THEN, not now.

My ratio, in the water as far as rings goes something like out of 10 rings found, 5 or 6 will be stainless, 2 to 3 silver and maybe 1 gold.

That's about what we are at. I've posted our finds in my profile album. I'm new and still figuring out how to work the website.

Back
Top Bottom