Dune Hunting

markkjones

Been working the sand dunes in Monterey, Ca and finding some interesting stuff.

Each of these came on different days from the same area.

Attachments

• Both Spoons.jpg
    Both Spoons.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 398
  • Back Del Monte Spoon.jpg
    Back Del Monte Spoon.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 408
  • Monogram Silver Spoon J and S Co.jpg
    Monogram Silver Spoon J and S Co.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 392
Don't forget : The first gold coin you find in those dunes, that was the one I lost. ok ? :friends:

argh, won't upload the fronts

The larger 1910 spoon was from the Hotel Del Monte. Electro-plated sadly.

The smaller spoon is J & S Co but no date. Any help?

Still working on attaching the fronts of the coins.

Some hotel Del Monte stuff has collector Nostalgia value. Because so many Naval officers (that now use the site, ever since WWII) have gone through there, that some of them wax romantic about the old hotel items. I sold some hotel Del Monte key-room fob things. They didn't fetch a lot, but it told me that at least a few people do buy up those things. Not sure if a spoon from there would trigger any demand or not.

Dunes??

That will get you in a heap of trouble here in Florida. Well in fact probably the whole east coast.:my2cents: Nice finds though

Hunt the dunes in NE Florida and go to jail.

I don't doubt that there's a "keep out of dunes" rule there. Hey, after all, they don't want to hurt the poor little nesting birds. Or harm the delicate dune grass, blah blah. :roll:

But I have a question for you : Do you know of ANY md'r in Florida, who "went to jail" for md'ing in the dunes ? Note that this question is not questioning the rule itself (whether it exists). That's not in question. The question is: Have you ever heard of an md'r going to jail for it ?

Not a "scram", not a stink-eye, not a ticket, but .... actual jail ? :?:

I don't doubt that there's a "keep out of dunes" rule there. Hey, after all, they don't want to hurt the poor little nesting birds. Or harm the delicate dune grass, blah blah. :roll:

But I have a question for you : Do you know of ANY md'r in Florida, who "went to jail" for md'ing in the dunes ? Note that this question is not questioning the rule itself (whether it exists). That's not in question. The question is: Have you ever heard of an md'r going to jail for it ?

I don't know why they make it difficult for metal detectorists on sand dunes. Dunes are among the most changeable of coastal features. Bad storms will change them and hurricanes will really change them and sometimes obliterate them in places. Then dry winds will simply rebuild them with vegetation serving to stabilize and deepen them as the sand filters in between the stalks. We aren't talking about cutting through the dune to build a beach house here. We aren't talking about breaching the dune ridge at all! Small holes are nothing and we fill them in, in any case, if we are conscientious. Heck, crabs and beach critters make more unfilled holes then we do. About the only thing I can think of that might be a factor is sea turtle nesting sites, and those are few and far between.

I don't know why they make it difficult for metal detectorists on sand dunes.....

Not sure about FL, but here in CA, there are many beaches with orange-ish/yellow ribbon tape, strung up to keep people out of the dunes. Some might even say something "Dune restoration, keep out" blah blah

A friend of mine worked for the Park rangers dispatch #, and told me the reason for the rules (at least in-so-far as one beach he oversaw) : That there is some sort of bird who lays its eggs at ground level, in the delicate grasses. And that people tromping in the dunes could harm these nesting sites. Also that the dune grasses themselves were delicate. And if vegetation is trampled, then there's no root systems to keep the dunes strong & healthy.

Perhaps the reasoning is the same for FL ? I dunno. But with that said : Despite similar rules at some beaches in CA, no one has "gone to jail" for md'ing , or someone taking a shortcut, etc.... through the dunes.

BTW: I happen to know the "dunes" that Mark has been detecting in. And they do not (gasp) have ribbon tape or signage that forbids being "in the dunes". Also, perhaps "dunes" is a poor description of where he's hunting anyhow. He's in some flat lands on over-look cliff type formations, that overlook the beach below.

However, I'll bet that if he and I asked "long enough and hard enough", that .... sure... we could find someone to say "you can't do that" (for whatever reason). Thus : Shame on you Mark for not asking. Certainly "Jail awaits you" :laughing:

Actually I know 2. In NE Florida there is an ordinance against picking sea oats too and they were arrested for trespassing and picking the oats.

Not sure about FL, but here in CA, there are many beaches with orange-ish/yellow ribbon tape, strung up to keep people out of the dunes. Some might even say something "Dune restoration, keep out" blah blah

A friend of mine worked for the Park rangers dispatch #, and told me the reason for the rules (at least in-so-far as one beach he oversaw) : That there is some sort of bird who lays its eggs at ground level, in the delicate grasses. And that people tromping in the dunes could harm these nesting sites. Also that the dune grasses themselves were delicate. And if vegetation is trampled, then there's no root systems to keep the dunes strong & healthy.

Perhaps the reasoning is the same for FL ? I dunno. But with that said : Despite similar rules at some beaches in CA, no one has "gone to jail" for md'ing , or someone taking a shortcut, etc.... through the dunes.

I dont know of a beach that allows dune access. It's common knowledge in my parts to stay off the dunes, but, I can say, I've seen multiple guys hunting the dunes over the year's without any repercussions. Nice relics and coins for sure, good luck out there!

Actually I know 2. .....

You "know 2" ? Yet ironically, you cite nothing remotely answering the challenge :?:

You're not showing any examples of "arrests for md'ing in dunes". You're citing someone who were "arrested for picking grass oats". Ok, then ......... the last I checked, picking sea oats" and md'ing are not the same activity. Right ? :?:

Also, the challenge was "jail". I notice that you say "arrested". Ok, then is "arrest" and "jail" synonymous ? No. Google is your friend. And will show that they are not *necessarily* one & the same.

And notice I pre-empted this move . By stipulating that it was only questioning: "jail". Not that other life-outcomes is pleasant, but ... just sayin' ... this isn't an answer to my challenge . That was *specifically* : "Jail".

Ok, so then the challenge remains : Who has "gone to jail" for this ? :?:

... but, I can say, I've seen multiple guys hunting the dunes over the year's without any repercussions....

No ! Say it isn't so ! They *most certainly* were sharing a jail cell with Bubba. Right ? :?: :roll:

Back
Top Bottom