Find that made you say, "HUH?"

gseuser

Elite Member
What is that one find you've made where you just scratch your head exclaiming "Huh?"?

My example would be this...

Here I am, a senior in high school 2 years ago this month, October of 2015. I go to a very close neighboring town at their brand new middle school freshly built. I decide to give it a try to find a bunch of clad and maybe jewelry and in March of 2015 I find my first silver there, an 1897 Barber Dime. That made me think, what is THAT doing HERE? Fast forward to October and Im working right up next to the playground edge and I get a blasting 95 on the surface with the AT Pro and dig down about an inch or two and pop out a large disc that was sitting on a rock for God knows how long preventing it from sinking. I clean it up because its caked and there it is, an 1850 Canadian large cent. My oldest coin. That made me about fall to the ground and the rush of questions slammed into my head. I take it home and show my parents and my dad (who is from the town) told me there used to be an old farm right where the playground is. I look on historic aerials and sure enough there was an old farm there! No wonder I had found what I had found!

Any of you had a "HUH?" moment?

That's really incredible. I live in the country down between Chanute and Parsons. I know where there used to be a lot of old farmsteads and also using the old maps located a few more. Been getting permission on them and then hunting like crazy but just not finding coins. Lots of relics like horse shoes and a horse bit, pieces of harness fittings and so on. But coins are just not showing up. Only one so far is a 1917 (100 year old ) wheat penny. It's kind of special because it was on my grandparents old home place.

Not giving up yet, got permission on my maternal grandparents old home place as soon as the beans are harvested...

I just dug a clad pocket spill this weekend at a turn of the century homestead that had me all kinds of confused. House hasn't been occupied in ages but I was getting dimes and quarters from the early 2000's and about 6 inches down, out pops a 1980's plastic hairbrush in almost perfect condition. This hobby is full of head scratcher moments.

Not metal detecting, but i did find a polish coin in a car my dealership bought from auction... it was a serious how the ..... did that wind up there...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Hunting a 1700's house, still occupied. Screaming silver hit. Eleven inches down.....a complete, 1800's set of silver and porcelain dentures. Top and bottoms. Almost as if someone had intentionally buried them. Yea, I said HUH????

Lowell reservoir, Lowell MA. A pack of fused detonators about 3" in the ground. cut a plug, stuck the digger in, pried up...had to change my pants!!!

While hunting a sidewalk tear out, I found this barber dime. Before every silver coin that I have found looks like it was just lost. This one is almost black like it has a thick crust on it. it wasn't near any water to have caused that.
Barber3.jpg

Two hunts come to mind 1) a practice rocket launcher found near a cadet base lightly covered with leaves. I returned it. 2) Very odd find a mason jar with a dead lizard buried next to a tree stump. huh for sure.

Today I found a Japanese gaming token in a local park here in WV. Dug it up and couldn't help but thing, How in the H...did that get here. :laughing:

Attachments

• japanese game token.JPG
    japanese game token.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 167
Big old 1928 Chinese coin in the yard of a home owned by my family in a small Oklahoma town. Nobody Chinese ever lived in the house, so it's a real head scratcher.

The only silver dollar found was in the sidewalk area directly in front of my house, but being a rookie at this hobby thought it was a pop can and totally destroyed it with careless digging......oh well it was a common date and wondered how the heck it got there. hh

I definitely said huh? When this beauty smiled at me from the hole.

Attachments

• 20171008_161401_resized_1.jpg
    20171008_161401_resized_1.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 20171008_161408_resized_1.jpg
    20171008_161408_resized_1.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 117
My "huh?" find moment was when I was detecting in the woods and got a bullet signal and while I was digging it some no-talent a__ clown opened fire at me. I usually pack heat and for some reason I wasn't that day, otherwise I probably would have returned fire. Dropped my Pro Pointer in the madness. Went back (armed) and found it the next day. No additional shots fired thankfully.

Back
Top Bottom