Lead coin shaped times Found in revolutionary war area. Need help to identify.

Dogfisch

These coin shaped discs were found in an area in Massachucitts where I have found a lot of revolutionary war items. They are made of lead and are roughly the same size as a quarter. One is fairly thick and the other is very thin. Anyone have an idea what they are or were used for?

Attachments

• IMG_8445.jpg
    IMG_8445.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 758
  • IMG_8446.jpg
    IMG_8446.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 667
  • IMG_8447.jpg
    IMG_8447.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 617
  • IMG_8448.jpg
    IMG_8448.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 502
Like chess or checkers? I haven't thought of that....

Yes, like poker chips and game pieces. Sounds silly today (in an era of plastic and mass production of throw-away items). But in yesteryear, they would take lead bullets or balls and smash them into round chip game pieces. And soldiers would whittle and carve bullets into various shapes, etc.....

Bale seals? ....

In this particular case shown in the photo, they seem to big for that.

Yes, like poker chips and game pieces. Sounds silly today (in an era of plastic and mass production of throw-away items). But in yesteryear, they would take lead bullets or balls and smash them into round chip game pieces. And soldiers would whittle and carve bullets into various shapes, etc.....

I’ve got some the size of half dollars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got some the size of half dollars ...

Really ? And have you actually seen the 2 rusty wire protrusions sticking out, so that you knew they were bail-seals ? Perhaps so. I just have never seen a bail-seal bigger than a finger nail sized.

not that this looks like a bale seal to me, but i have one thats teh size of my palm, way bigger than a half dollar.

not that this looks like a bale seal to me, but i have one thats teh size of my palm, way bigger than a half dollar.

That's news to me. I just always assumed the larger ones were poker chips. And that only the finger-nail sized fat stubby ones were bail-seals. Will have to re-examine the next big one I find. To see if there's the little rust marks at the end, where the wire used to stick out. Thanx !

That's news to me. I just always assumed the larger ones were poker chips. And that only the finger-nail sized fat stubby ones were bail-seals. Will have to re-examine the next big one I find. To see if there's the little rust marks at the end, where the wire used to stick out. Thanx !

yeah mine is badly corroded and it was attached to a wire mesh it looks like. but I can still make out some letters not nice and round at all like these

I once dug a lead slug that had the mirror-image of a V nickel imprinted on it.
That item was dug on a rural ballfield that used to host traveling circuses.

I once dug a lead slug that had the mirror-image of a V nickel imprinted on it.
That item was dug on a rural ballfield that used to host traveling circuses.

I got one of those too ! Like someone tried to do a counterfeit nickel, by imprinting the v-nickel impression into lead. Sheesk, talk about inflation !! No one counterfeits anything less than a $20 or $100 now, doh :roll:

So is this a game piece also or a button?

Attachments

• 39CE7B26-CFBE-4197-AF66-B86D24AABC0A.jpeg
    39CE7B26-CFBE-4197-AF66-B86D24AABC0A.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 386
  • E090C097-285E-486E-B879-16D929F914C7.jpeg
    E090C097-285E-486E-B879-16D929F914C7.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 305
  • E5E5262D-2C01-4B45-ABD3-D3BC893B6C0D.jpeg
    E5E5262D-2C01-4B45-ABD3-D3BC893B6C0D.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 354
Back
Top Bottom