• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Waterproofing the CTX?

sandgroper

Elite Member
During my last hunt in the rain, I noticed that a few droplets of water entered the gap between the battery and the headphone 'cap', which is a bit concerning because I don't won't to ruin the battery. So I did a google search on how to waterproof the battery, and came across this very useful video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F46T3cs0SoY

I then did an eBay search, and found these two search results for a battery o-ring. I would like to know whether or not you've had any experience with either of these two products, as I'm not sure if there's a difference between the $20 and the $4 o-ring.

I won't be submerging the CTX, I just want to put something there, that'll protect the battery when I detect in the rain. Thanks :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/O-ring-upgr...451677?hash=item33b571941d:g:LFIAAOSwJMhXEH8~

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CTX-3030-O-...959607?hash=item211490dff7:g:Qo8AAOSwQ59ZaJ1Q

If you hunt in the rain a lot, you may want to remover the 1/4" headphone adapter and either get a set of the waterproof headphone or put a waterproof connector onto your land headphones.

During my last hunt in the rain, I noticed that a few droplets of water entered the gap between the battery and the headphone 'cap', which is a bit concerning because I don't won't to ruin the battery. So I did a google search on how to waterproof the battery, and came across this very useful video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F46T3cs0SoY

I then did an eBay search, and found these two search results for a battery o-ring. I would like to know whether or not you've had any experience with either of these two products, as I'm not sure if there's a difference between the $20 and the $4 o-ring.

I won't be submerging the CTX, I just want to put something there, that'll protect the battery when I detect in the rain. Thanks :)

If you are hunting in the rain while using the "headphone module", you are making a mistake and risking damage to the module. That module is not weather proof. As Jeff in Georgia suggested, you should remove the headphone module when hunting in rain or underwater. You can then plug the waterproof headphone connector with the provided waterproof plug and use the wireless phones (properly protected from rain, of course), or plug in a waterproof headphone set, your choice.

GL & HH

If you hunt in the rain a lot, you may want to remover the 1/4" headphone adapter and either get a set of the waterproof headphone or put a waterproof connector onto your land headphones.

If you are hunting in the rain while using the "headphone module", you are making a mistake and risking damage to the module. That module is not weather proof. As Jeff in Georgia suggested, you should remove the headphone module when hunting in rain or underwater. You can then plug the waterproof headphone connector with the provided waterproof plug and use the wireless phones (properly protected from rain, of course), or plug in a waterproof headphone set, your choice.

GL & HH

Thanks guys! I do know that the module isn't waterproof, but I'll definitely put the waterproof plug on.

Just FYI for anyone that doesn't know. Minelab had a design change on battery and seals on the Minelab CTX 3030 like all the ones we have in stock. Also a change on the way the arm cuff attaches.

The new versions like we have are much more forgiving and more idiot proof on the way they seal. We have had no issues on the new versions.

Just FYI for anyone that doesn't know. Minelab had a design change on battery and seals on the Minelab CTX 3030 like all the ones we have in stock. Also a change on the way the arm cuff attaches.

The new versions like we have are much more forgiving and more idiot proof on the way they seal. We have had no issues on the new versions.

Is it just the seals that changed.. or the seals and design of the detector battery compartment also? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom