Open top thimble ( tailors ring )

JeremyN

Hello everyone,

My wife dug up her first thimble today and we were wondering if anyone could roughly date it. There are no markings that I can see outside or inside.

We found it in Germany in Brandenburg near the town Templin.

Any thimble experts around? Tried looking up on the internet and found similar ones but wouldn't want to just assume they are the same period.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1161.jpg
    IMG_1161.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 314
I'm not an expert, but I would imagine that without specific markings it would be hard to date, since they have been used for quite a while. It's nice that it isn't squished, the only thimble I found was in bad shape.

Thanks for the reply, yeah I figured as much. I may try the local archaeologist now.
We apparently had Teutonic Knights camped on this field way back when so you never know it could be really old, then again it could be this century.

We shall see :grin:

Thanks for the reply, yeah I figured as much. I may try the local archaeologist now.
We apparently had Teutonic Knights camped on this field way back when so you never know it could be really old, then again it could be this century.

We shall see :grin:

Good luck and post an update if you get one.

Thanks Doug, that's great. I just registered with them. Great resource.

Looks like 17th - 18th century but if I find out anything different I will let you all know.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom