1895 O Barber Quarter

Larbo

Hi. Can anyone give me an idea of the approximate condition and value of the 1895 O Barber Quarter? It is a surface find from almost 30 years ago. Thanks!

Last edited:
I also found this with a metal detector a long time ago. It is an 1897 O Barber half. Does anybody know how what condition this is in and the value?

Last edited:
cointrackers says mint cond 1895 o worth about $950, so its a great cond high dollar coin!
the worn half I doubt if its worth much due to condition.

cointrackers says mint cond 1895 o worth about $950, so its a great cond high dollar coin!
the worn half I doubt if its worth much due to condition.

Thanks. I'm not sure what the condition of the quarter is. It's not in mint condition but you can see all of the small details. There are some small scratches and a small nick on the edge. It must of been in near mint condition when it was lost though.

To me it seem as though the coin is in very good shape. Plus the mint mark seem to be off center of the tale of the eagle and the sides of the o mint mark seen to be very thin. If it were my coin I would take it to a coin show and have a few dealers look at it. I am no coin expert. But comparing your coin to the 1897 the mint mark is center of the tail and the sides of the mint mark are thicker.

The 1895o quarter is worth about $70-$100. I think he looked up the wrong coin. Hard to judge the grade, probably VF, but it doesn't look right.

The 1895o quarter is worth about $70-$100. I think he looked up the wrong coin. Hard to judge the grade, probably VF, but it doesn't look right.

Thanks. I never realized that the mint mark was different than other Barber quarters. I did notice it was off center but thought it was normal. I found these coins when I was a kid and they are the only 2 Barbers I have found. I stopped detecting for a long time and started back here in Japan.

Now I want to take it to a coin shop and get it checked but it is in the U.S. and I am in Japan. Have you ever heard of Barber quarters with an off center mint mark?

Last edited:
To me it seem as though the coin is in very good shape. Plus the mint mark seem to be off center of the tale of the eagle and the sides of the o mint mark seen to be very thin. If it were my coin I would take it to a coin show and have a few dealers look at it. I am no coin expert. But comparing your coin to the 1897 the mint mark is center of the tail and the sides of the mint mark are thicker.

I never realized that until you mentioned it. I just took these picture of the coins the last time I was in the U.S. but that was the first time I had looked at them in a long time. I think I noticed that the mint mark was off to one side but I only had one Barber Quarter so I never compared it to another one. I will have to get it checked next time I go back.

When you have a chance, take it to a local dealer. It may grade higher than I previously posted. The O is fine, the color and shadows looked odd.

When you have a chance, take it to a local dealer. It may grade higher than I previously posted. The O is fine, the color and shadows looked odd.

Probably because I took the picture with a flash on my phone. I just took so I could look at it after I came back to Japan and wasn't planning to post it then.

It is pretty shiny. It must have been lost soon after it was minted and not moved around in the dirt much. It has good luster but also a few nicks and scratches.

Back
Top Bottom