Garrett Carrot Audio

twizzlerlord

Elite Member
So I have been using the Garrett Carrot for a while now with just regular ware and tare on land and both in the water but on my last few hunts I have noticed that the audio doesn't work when I get close to the target, and instead of beeping rapidly it starts to make pulsing vibrations. Anyone know how to fix this?

It has audio and sensitivity settings. Turn it on. Then hold down the button until you hear a chime. Then push the button to scroll through the settings.
Single beep: audible beep low
Double beep: audible beep mid
Triple beep: audible beep high
Single vibrate: vibrate low
Double vibrate: vibrate mid
Triple vibrate: vibrate high

It sounds like you have it set to one of the vibrate settings now.

So I have been using the Garrett Carrot for a while now with just regular ware and tare on land and both in the water but on my last few hunts I have noticed that the audio doesn't work when I get close to the target, and instead of beeping rapidly it starts to make pulsing vibrations. Anyone know how to fix this?

I always run the highest sense setting on mine. Mine will do that if the treasure is large, even a big coin. I just tap the power button when the tone gets high to detune to the target size. What did you dig up in these situations?

I seldom have this situation though.

I have it on the highest sensitivity setting with the volume on and it started happening only occasionally but now it happens all the time with any item from coins to iron junk.

Give Garrett a call. They will probably take care of you in a heartbeat. They have the best customer service in the industry IMHO. GL & HH

How much do you think they would charge?

That depends on whether the unit is out of warranty, of course. But it would not surprise me if they bend over backwards and do more than they are obligated to do. They have legendary good customer service. Give them a call at (972) 494-6151. They open at 8 AM Central time. Have your serial number handy when you call.

GL

Last edited:
I would think they'd fix it for for around $30 being it's audio. The most I've heard charged was $50. Garretts will many times still cover it under warranty if it's only a couple months past. No matter, it makes sense to get it to Garretts.

I damaged the switch in one of my Garretts pointers by trying to take it apart. I walked it into the factory, told them my mistake, and they fixed it without charge. It was still under warranty but it wasn't their fault. The rep told me it'd be 25-30 if there was any charge. Very good customer service!

Should have a serial number on it. Give Garrett a call or send them an email with it and they'll get right back to you I'll sure. I've worked with them a few times in the past and thier customer service has been outstanding.

Well I bought it used so I don't have a warranty :no:

Doesn't matter that you bought it used. If it's in the warranty period, it's covered. Here's the first paragraph of their general warranty:

Garrett Electronics, Inc. ("Garrett") warrants that each piece of detection equipment manufactured by Garrett is protected by the following limited parts and labor warranty for a period of 24 (twenty-four) months from the date of purchase, with the following exception: the Sea Hunter Mk II, which is covered for a period of 12 (twelve) months from the date of purchase. During this 24-month period Garrett will inspect and evaluate all equipment returned to its authorized repair station or factory to determine if the equipment meets Garrett’s performance specifications. Garrett will repair or replace at no charge to the owner all parts determined faulty. This Warranty does not cover batteries nor any and all failures caused by abuse, tampering, theft, failure due to the weather, battery acid or other contaminants and equipment repairs made by an unauthorized party.

You don't happen to mean the "battery low" indicator signal, do you?

Steve

Should have a serial number on it. Give Garrett a call or send them an email with it and they'll get right back to you I'll sure. I've worked with them a few times in the past and thier customer service has been outstanding.

Yep. If the ser# on the battery cap is worn or not there, it is inside the compartment as well.

twizzlerlord --

Funny thing; I answered your post, asking you if it was the "low battery" tone. But in the last two hunts, my carrot started doing the exact same thing you described...making weird audio when you get near an item, SORT OF like the "low battery tone," but not the same. It's NOT the battery, it's something else. After awhile, in desperation, I whacked mine on my shovel, the cap end, and it "fixed" it, for a little while. It would start happening again, and so I whacked it, cap end first, on my shovel, and it "fixed it" again. For now, it is working, but I am sending it into Garrett for repair.

Anyway, ironic that mine started having the same issue as yours, right after I answered your post!

Steve

twizzlerlord --

Funny thing; I answered your post, asking you if it was the "low battery" tone. But in the last two hunts, my carrot started doing the exact same thing you described...making weird audio when you get near an item, SORT OF like the "low battery tone," but not the same. It's NOT the battery, it's something else. After awhile, in desperation, I whacked mine on my shovel, the cap end, and it "fixed" it, for a little while. It would start happening again, and so I whacked it, cap end first, on my shovel, and it "fixed it" again. For now, it is working, but I am sending it into Garrett for repair.

Anyway, ironic that mine started having the same issue as yours, right after I answered your post!

Steve

For what it's worth, I spoke to Garrett yesterday; the lady I spoke with brought a tech in, who wanted to hear the noise it was making. I was able to get it to reproduce the noise with him on the phone, and he said it's the "low voltage" indicator. That's different from the "change the battery" tone; he said the unit is not receiving enough voltage from the battery. He suggested I change the battery, which I did, and it seems to have fixed the problem.

One way that "low voltage" could occur, is if the battery is not making good contact with the "contacts." So, for the OP, if you changed batteries and it didn't help, I'd take the cap off, push the battery against the contacts more firmly, and see if this "fixes" the issue (while you are pressing down on the battery). If it does, then that suggests the problem is with the battery and contacts not making a good connection. There are ways to deal with that, but let's see if that works first...

Steve

Back
Top Bottom