• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Written Permission Template Letter

JoeSilver

I wanted to offer a sample written permission template/letter that can be used, if and when you need to memorialize your understanding with a private landowner.

Note the following:

1. This version of the permission letter is limited to a single day. Obviously, feel free to revise accordingly to reflect a broader permission/understanding.

2. Some permission letters offer a general release of liability to the landowner in exchange for permission. I have not included that language, as I would not offer such a blanket release in the first instance. For example, what if the owner's pit bull gets loose and bites you? You'd have no recourse, so consider that before waiving all rights against the landowner....

3. Some permission letters address how the finder will handle locating historically-significant artifacts or things of value. I did not address that issue, leaving implicit the understanding that "finder's keepers" applies.

Attachments

• Microsoft Word - Permission to Metal Detect on Private Property.jpg
    Microsoft Word - Permission to Metal Detect on Private Property.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 17,123
any such thing (contracts, etc...) Should ONLY be used if the landowner THEMSELVES requests such-a-thing.

Otherwise, putting contracts in front of total strangers to sign is the FASTEST way to get a "no". It merely conjurs up images of legal hassles, etc....

If they're happy with a smile and a handshake, .... so be it .

any such thing (contracts, etc...) Should ONLY be used if the landowner THEMSELVES requests such-a-thing.

Otherwise, putting contracts in front of total strangers to sign is the FASTEST way to get a "no". It merely conjurs up images of legal hassles, etc....

If they're happy with a smile and a handshake, .... so be it .

I wholeheartedly agree with Tom, a landowner will just pass on giving permission vs entering in a contract with a detectorist. What do they gain by letting you on vs entering a contract with someone.

They might hafto have they’re lawyers look at it,and get back to you:laughing:
Not to be a dick,but your asking for a big fat NO..Good thinking tho,but I wouldn’t try it.

Last edited:
Yeah...I dont know how that would work with the general Public?...maybe it would, things have changed...

I'm nearly 60, asked for lots of permissions in my time, to Trap, Hunt, Fish, Camp, Cut wood, Detect,....just straight up face to face....So I've been in the situation of asking for nearly 50yrs......

If any stranger half way decent with a good approach and eye contact came and asked me for permission to come on my land, after a little chat to evaluate their character, their intelligence regarding a 'guest' situation and overall Life skills, and if my dog is comfortable around them...I'd happily grant permission....the dog really is the final arbiter, so I keep an eye on his attitude during the interface for the 'tells'....He is a lot better judge of Human character than I...

If they presented me with something to sign, anything, and I dont care what the dog says...right then and there I'd say 'getdahellouttahere!' You can tell pretty quickly if a person is OK...that paper would shut me straight down into the DANGER zone...But like I said, maybe things have changed? Also, what they drive is an important clue to character...

Back
Top Bottom