• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

What a Totter!

Mud-puppy

Forum Supporter
This morning I had to make a 150 mile drive over to my Dads to help pull out his dock...Thats what you do up North, pull out the docks every Fall and put them back in the Spring! :laughing:

Anyway, I took a quick look at Mapquest Satellite to see if maybe I could leave a bit early and find a place to hunt...Not too far off the interstate, in this one town along the way, I could see this Large Sports Park with a MEGA Totter! I aint never seen a Totter this large with so much high dollar gear!

So In I go, just at Sun-up for I figured an hour of hunting...(turned out to be an hour and a half)...I had to go really fast to find the big drop zones in a hurry, the Totter had potential, but obviously somebody keeps it maintained frequently...Not a lot of anything but P's...I didnt stay too long in there, just to get a feel for the competition... Most all of the Primary drop zones any where near the concessions were also swept pretty clean...

So I see the Basket Ball courts, out a ways off to the side, and they were right next to the Tennis courts with a about a 10' strip of grass in between...All around the BB courts, out in all directions, monstrous clad! That little 10' strip had a gentle slope to it, just perfect for pocket spills!

I should have just stayed in there...it woulda took another hour to stab it all up, and surely there was some jewelry hiding...I buzzed around in the obvious places to get a feel if this Big Park was something worth a dedicated trip...I dont know, its 100 miles away...Its a big place though, a guy could certainly run around in there for a long time...

Definitely the secondary and tertiary drop zones dont get too much hunting pressure...

Attachments

• oct 17-17.jpg
    oct 17-17.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 377
  • oct 17-17-1.jpg
    oct 17-17-1.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 357
Hi Mud !

I couldn't count all those stacks of pennies, but it looks like you retrieved over (100) coins ! Even if you hit a lot of coin-spills, that's still a lot of exercise in 1½ hours, averaging less-than-a-minute per target......Wow, you must be in gooood physical shape and/or determined to take the pain for the gain !

You did good my friend !

ToddB64

Thanks Guys...I bought 3 qts of oil at the Dollar store for my poor little car with the same amount as this clad total! :laughing: This car takes 1qt of oil every 8 gal gas, roughly 250 miles...I'm getting 31mpg though, so it all works out!:laughing:

Regarding Hunting Speed, ..I consider CPH (coins/hr) something to focus on...So, a guy gets really good at visually evaluating a place like a park, seeing where the drop zones are even from the satellite...Then, its a matter of getting on the targets, and retrieving them super fast...'ping to pouch in 10-15 sec' is the focus...thats screwdriver work on shallow targets in the 4" depth on up to surface....You want to be pulling 3-4 coins per minute consistently...

Hunt Dollar amount (ROI), is also super important... a guy can pass on pennies and snatch up Q's and D's if the location holds them...chip totter pennies are easy, and a guy has to pull every one hoping for gold...but not on the grass if Time is short and Q's are plenty...

I hunt in full tones, so I instantly audibly know what denomination coin is under the coil...also the Proportional audio tells me how deep it is....I 'Hop coil' to pinpoint....All this info is absorbed and processed in microseconds by my internal CPU...(thats a Q at 3") (theres a dime in the grass) while a guy is descending upon it with the screwdriver...stab, pull, pouch, sweep...very stripped down and fast hunting...no Pinpointer, no kneepads, running and gunning to find the heavy pay dirt...no diddling around..Hunting heads up audibly....

I timed myself once in a little park just full of clad...75 coins in 30 minutes...so in the right place, at full speed and concentration, dirt conditions correct, massive coinage, cool damp weather, I can pull 150 CPH...with nothing but that damned old screwdriver...plus eyeballing for other locations and other treasures...Speed Hunting is just a different style of Hunting within this Sport that I enjoy...Heading out this morning to a park or two in a town I havnt been to in over a year...hope to make the Gas money!:laughing:

That is a nice spot to hit every time you go up to visit. Print out a google map shot of the area and just work it a section at a time. I have a similar park that I'm working now. Lots of clad, relatively speaking. I'll take a walk path every time I hit it and am working my way around. About half way around the ball fields and I still have a tot lot and volley ball court to hit when I get to that side.

BCD

Hi Mud:tiphat:

I was awestruck by the coin recovery speed you were able to attain explained in your post #7.

You accomplished a great feat pocketing that many coins within 1½ hours and I'm guessing you set a record with the ideal conditions present.

Regarding your use of a screw driver to recover coins, since purchasing my standard Lesche digger 9 years ago in June of 2008 and using it exclusively and cutting trap doors, I've never practiced and become accomplished with a screw driver to lift coins out of the ground.

I have watched Videos on the Internet and have articles with drawings showing how to perform the technique using a screw driver, but never realized until now how quickly it could be done by a practiced hand such as yourself.

Of course, speed-of-recovery will vary with each individual and the majority of us will probably never attain 3-4 coins per minute or ping-to-pouch time of 10-15 seconds consistently, but I'm going to start practicing in the back yard to see if I can catch on, be satisfied with, and speed-up my recovery time with this new-to-me method.

If you have time could you post a picture of your screw driver showing the shape of the tip? I have a general idea of how it should be, but would just like to see what you consider good tip form.

And one other thing, could you explain what was meant by 'Hop coil' to pinpoint ?

You Rock Mud ! :clapping:

ToddB64

This morning I had to make a 150 mile drive over to my Dads to help pull out his dock...Thats what you do up North, pull out the docks every Fall and put them back in the Spring! :laughing:

Anyway, I took a quick look at Mapquest Satellite to see if maybe I could leave a bit early and find a place to hunt...Not too far off the interstate, in this one town along the way, I could see this Large Sports Park with a MEGA Totter! I aint never seen a Totter this large with so much high dollar gear!

So In I go, just at Sun-up for I figured an hour of hunting...(turned out to be an hour and a half)...I had to go really fast to find the big drop zones in a hurry, the Totter had potential, but obviously somebody keeps it maintained frequently...Not a lot of anything but P's...I didnt stay too long in there, just to get a feel for the competition... Most all of the Primary drop zones any where near the concessions were also swept pretty clean...

So I see the Basket Ball courts, out a ways off to the side, and they were right next to the Tennis courts with a about a 10' strip of grass in between...All around the BB courts, out in all directions, monstrous clad! That little 10' strip had a gentle slope to it, just perfect for pocket spills!

I should have just stayed in there...it woulda took another hour to stab it all up, and surely there was some jewelry hiding...I buzzed around in the obvious places to get a feel if this Big Park was something worth a dedicated trip...I dont know, its 100 miles away...Its a big place though, a guy could certainly run around in there for a long time...

Definitely the secondary and tertiary drop zones dont get too much hunting pressure...

Wow Mud!! Look at all that clad!! You were in the sweet zone!! That some mega clad. That stuff adds up quickly. Congrats on the coloso clad!

Atprodude

Hi Mud:tiphat:

I was awestruck by the coin recovery speed you were able to attain explained in your post #7.

You accomplished a great feat pocketing that many coins within 1½ hours and I'm guessing you set a record with the ideal conditions present.

Regarding your use of a screw driver to recover coins, since purchasing my standard Lesche digger 9 years ago in June of 2008 and using it exclusively and cutting trap doors, I've never practiced and become accomplished with a screw driver to lift coins out of the ground.

I have watched Videos on the Internet and have articles with drawings showing how to perform the technique using a screw driver, but never realized until now how quickly it could be done by a practiced hand such as yourself.

Of course, speed-of-recovery will vary with each individual and the majority of us will probably never attain 3-4 coins per minute or ping-to-pouch time of 10-15 seconds consistently, but I'm going to start practicing in the back yard to see if I can catch on, be satisfied with, and speed-up my recovery time with this new-to-me method.

If you have time could you post a picture of your screw driver showing the shape of the tip? I have a general idea of how it should be, but would just like to see what you consider good tip form.

And one other thing, could you explain what was meant by 'Hop coil' to pinpoint ?

You Rock Mud ! :clapping:

ToddB64

:goodpost:
Took the words right outta my mouth Todd. All of it, exactly.

Mr. Puppy, you are my hero. I sometimes "play" speedhunt, and imagine myself one day becoming a real pro like you. If there was a Mud Puppy Halloween costume, it would wear it proudly! I am, however, running out of local hotspots that can provide the Olympic style training you describe. I may have to do some eye in the sky research, and make a road trip to Cladtown.
Seriously, your skills are impressive. Keep it going.

It's obvious that park is virgin. I'd love sit back in a lawn chair with a beer in hand and watch you rape a pillage that site with your trusty screwdriver. You should have been a surgeon. Big Congrats!

beephead

Back
Top Bottom