Is anyone ever near Mpls-St Paul?

George (MN)

Elite Member
I want people to detect with! I don't drive but could contribute to driving expense. Also, this isn't about stealing your good "secret" spots. I've spent many thousands of hours, probably tens of thousands of hours, researching public and private places near and far. I guess all this info will be just thrown away when I die, which could be soon.

You could even use some of my detectors and be first to be notified if I'm selling one. I would gladly share sites, show you some samples like Plan A, Plan B, Plan C. Pick some of mine or yours if you prefer.

Some of mine: largest fairgrounds in the state, old enough for 1800s coins; 1930s camping spot now just bike/hike trail thru woods, same town.

20 mi f/me, 1860's fairgrounds destroyed by tornado 1920's, now just park with no facilities except parking lot for those who want to fish from shore or launch a boat, or just sit around and get drunk. Nat'l Parks Service wants to acquire this place for MN River Nat'l Park; same town, 1854 abandoned public square on a hill that had band concerts, now overgrown; 5mi f/there, public school, with just a few rooms & ball field, maybe 1 room in 1800s.

A 1910 park that looks new in a new suburb; a '20s park in another new suburb; a park in St Paul that looks 1940's but really existed by 1907. Three 1849 parks in St. Paul. Half the towns in S central & SE MN have 1850's park.

How about a forest that was a 1800's hotel & resort & now a city park outside of the city & still a forest. We know the archies are trying to keep it secret! 60 mi from me. 30 mi f/me, 1850 public square across f/old sch & ch.

20mi f/me, new park w/old forest, across street f/tiny ch w/no yard except small cem. Seated dimes in a 1960's park? Just down the road, 1800's school being lived in. Near both, a school barely old enough to have silver-often these are best!

If nobody wants to detect with me, I may have to move to another state! I hope all of you have places like this near you-research will tell! Best wishes!

Sure sounds like you've done a lot of research,
And have some spots with much potential !
I'd think some members here, from the land of 10,000 lakes
would jump in, at some of those places your speaking of.........?
Good luck with your "swap" offer.
The last I had heard Minnesota was getting sorta strict,
in regards to metal detecting; with laws, bans, or public places........?:(
I'm in Iowa, and don't really travel up north much anymore,
less it's for fishing hard water

....The last I had heard Minnesota was getting sorta strict, in regards to metal detecting; with laws, bans, or public places........?....

Can you link to where you heard that ? Me thinks you're confusing something on a state park's level, to other levels of govt. and other types land. Eg.: boiler plate wording verbiage that you might find for state parks there, has no bearing on city, county, fed, and private.

Hi George!
I'm on other forums and found a link to this one so gave it a brief look, and saw this post of yours, and registered so I could tell you I'd be up for occasional detecting.

I haven't done a lot of detecting in MN, but have gone with a friend to Michigan's Keweenaw Peninsula to scramble over the mine tailings for copper crystals and nuggets, gone so far as Cobalt Ontario to hunt for silver in the mine tailings up there.

Seems I find these trips to be good excuses to upgrade my detector (now detectors). I've also now invested enough to justify heading to the western gold fields and am in early planning/research for places to go. I love the outdoors and detecting is a good excuse to be outside enjoying the day.

I'll be interested to learn of your research and see what we might find. PM me your email address and introduce yourself. I'm 64, have two or more years before I retire, and am planning to spend much time in retirement out west looking for gold and platinum. Better than sitting watching TV or surfing the web, no?

Back
Top Bottom