XP Deus or Wait for Minelab Equinox?

coherent

I have a couple AT Pros and it's a great machine, but I want to get a another for me. I was ready to order a new XP Deus v4 setup and then started seeing the posts on the upcoming Minelab Equinox 800. Hate to pull the trigger on the XP and then wish I would have waited for Equinox... Or, hate waiting just to find out the Deus is a better machine! Wish there was some solid info on an actual "in the stores" release date for the minelab. Anyone else waiting for more on the Equinox? Any thoughts on the two detectors? I'm in Arizona, so something that could also be used for gold nugget shooting would be a plus. I had a Minelab Eureka... hated it & sold it.

Last edited:
I can't help much since its hard to compare a detector that none of us have even used yet. The Nox does look very promising though. Deus is a proven performer. I guess if I had patience (which I don't) and I didn't already have a Deus, I'd probably wait a few months and see what happens with the new Minelab. Like I said, I lack patience though. I've already preordered an Equinox 800. :D

Every time a new release like this happens, people dump their existing machines for the newest fad. Just look at the sentiment among many deus owners on this board. Many are planning to sell their Deus to buy the Equinox. Supply and demand tells us that if lots of used Deus machines hit the market, the price should drop. We're also approaching the off season for many detectorists. What happens during the off season? People in need of holiday cash dump their machines at the worst possible time and there are deals to be had. I always buy machines during the off season at good prices. (It helps when you hunt year round) I sold my Deus recently in anticipation of a price drop hitting the market. I will buy another when it happens and will focus on water hunting with the Excal in the meantime.

My point.....if you are patient, you'll snag a good deal on a Deus. Inevitably, the new machine won't live up to the hype and they will be dumped on the market. I expect the same to happen with the new At pro.

Remember when the Racer came out? Everyone thought it would rival the deus. Yeah...not so much.

The Equinox folks may be in the same boat when First Texas announces their new technology, flagship machine.

I'd buy the Deus, wait until the Equinox has been out 6 months to a year, then decide if you want to dump the AT Pro or the Deus and grab an Equinox.

Or, just buy whatever First Texas puts out at that time. It should really be something.

No Brainer

Wait for the EQ, because after the release , the D will drop down to realistic pricing :roll::laughing: , and you will loose half of your investment, :realitycheck::impatient: YOUR CALL PS Swing take the Deus out under 10 feet of salt water, and hunt, if it still lives , ill buy a Deus :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing

Last edited:
I never really considered that the Duex would drop in price when the Equinox hit the public. I would think that would happen only if the machine is comparable in performance at a lower price point, or the equinox is simply a better detector. I suppose if the Equinox doesn't live up to the early hype and the Deus proves to be the better machine, nothing lost except for a month or two waiting for the performance reports. Only problem is, like Rattlehead... my patience is minimal. Hate waiting!

If you can, wait and see. No harm. This could be the first detector ever to live up to the hype. And that would be a very good thing. The promises sound, well, promising and the price point is pretty good. Reviews should come like a tsunami once it starts shipping. Rumor is Christmastime. Not far off. Good luck.

Well, went ahead and pre-ordered the Equinox 800. Hard to pass up with the military discount for $764.15 and they threw in a Minelab bag. Was told should ship Dec time frame. Definitely prior to Xmas.

May have missed it somewhere, still unsure of stock coil size (9" or 11"?). Planning on getting a smaller 6" when available. Hope the machine lives up to half the hype! Now the waiting starts. :D

It is a guessing game at this point. One can only try and compare a tried and true machine to a possible new level in detectors. I'd say go for the tried and true because the Deus is about as good as it gets right now, but, two key points there. One is about and second is possible new level.

I've seen some very good potential in the new NOX and I already feel the E-Trac/CTX do have a slight advantage over the Deus on a more accurate target ID system at a greater depth. So, if you hunt mainly deep coins in hard hunted locations and the NOX is anything like the E-Trac/CTX or better then the wait might be worth it.

I'm always looking for that one to replace my two and my hopes are the NOX is it. I could be right and I could be wrong. Either way the price of all the detectors I use in this class will drop.

My thoughts are, and I have always done this, to buy early enough to put the new detector to the test. If it hits you will be the first to hits some nice places with new potential. If it fails it is still new enough to sell quick and get pretty much all your money back.

Whatever you decide, look up Craig and Show me treasure.com, a sponsor here and he has been a tremendous help....

After owning the Deus now for a couple of months I wouldn't be without it.

With that said, I sold my Excalibur recently and sure do miss it as I was comfortable using it at the beach without fear of the water.

So, I'm looking forward to trying out the new Equinox and definitely getting it wet.
Hope it's waterproof with zero issues.

Well, went ahead and pre-ordered the Equinox 800. Hard to pass up with the military discount for $764.15 and they threw in a Minelab bag. Was told should ship Dec time frame. Definitely prior to Xmas.

May have missed it somewhere, still unsure of stock coil size (9" or 11"?). Planning on getting a smaller 6" when available. Hope the machine lives up to half the hype! Now the waiting starts. :D

Looks like the stock coil is 11 inch.

The Equinox folks may be in the same boat when First Texas announces their new technology, flagship machine.

I'd buy the Deus, wait until the Equinox has been out 6 months to a year, then decide if you want to dump the AT Pro or the Deus and grab an Equinox.

Or, just buy whatever First Texas puts out at that time. It should really be something.

I think first texas will miss the boat. The Minelab boat!:lol:

Where did you get the military discount ?

Where did you get the military discount ?

Kellyco, but I think any Minelab dealer will give you the 15% discount. It's a Minelab discount, not any specific dealer as far as I know. You have to call to place your order to get the discount... you can't do it online.

Kellyco, but I think any Minelab dealer will give you the 15% discount. It's a Minelab discount, not any specific dealer as far as I know. You have to call to place your order to get the discount... you can't do it online.

I'm thinking you just recieved MAP pricing, which is the dealers unlisted lowest price. Was it 15% off the price you saw on the internet?

Be careful with Kellyco. I JUST had to cancel an order with them this morning. Tell me if you've heard this before about them :roll: Order an item that shows "In Stock" on the website. 4 days later and no tracking number, nothing.

You call them and they say the item is actually on backorder with no set date of arrival.

Why in the world did I think Kellyco might be different this time?

I’d wait. Deus ain’t all that nor a bag o chips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom