Silver Half Giveaway and Another Report.

jack&jill

Elite Member
Yes I am going to try this again. I am going to give away 3 Silver Half Dollars this year to forum members that comment on my threads. The idea is to spur more activity here on the forum as in participation. This is a giveaway not a contest. The prizes are again a Walking Liberty for first draw, a Ben Franklin for second and this year including a Kennedy Half Dollar for the third. This drawing is open to all forum members new and old. It is my hope to see at lot of the new people on these threads. There is a few changes to the rules this year. The winners most have at least one post on all my threads in the month of April (anticipating 3) starting with this one. All posts must contain at least 10 words and a complete sentence. All comment or posts must be placed in the month of April. April 30th being the last day. There will be a drawing that will take place on the First of May to pull the winners. I will at that time announce the winners and PM them for a mailing address. If by chance the Corona Virus shuts down hunting in Wisconsin this activity will be suspended and resumed at a later date. If any questions please PM me.
Now on to the report. My Silver hunt steak has continued for 2020 in which I have dug at least 1 Silver coin in every hunt this year. Now in fairness I must say my pig-headiness has helped to maintain it. A couple of the outings I would not quit until I achieve my goal adding several hours to those hunts. The results did get me into a little bit of trouble on the home front. The first of the five hunts was the best. It provided the the best two finds of all the hunts. A Barber Quarter that put a big smile on my face and another "V" Nickel were my spices. The "V" is my forth of this year and which now equals the total count of them for my career in this hobby. Have been in this hobby for over 10 years. For those that did not know it was my White Whale and only dug my first ever just a year and a half ago. Anyway, the next three outings I dug only one Silver in each and not much of anything else to speak of. The last hunt did give me a couple of Silver's with a Rosie and a Merc. The 7 Silver coins now has the count FTY at 31. I can only hope April can find some new grounds to play in as targets are becoming pretty uncommon of late. On to the next and good luck to all in the giveaway. Trapper

Attachments

• 3-27-20  (2).jpg
    3-27-20 (2).jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 616
  • 3-29-20  (3).jpg
    3-29-20 (3).jpg
    90 KB · Views: 590
  • 3-30-20  (4).jpg
    3-30-20 (4).jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 604
  • 3-31-20  (5).jpg
    3-31-20 (5).jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 591
  • 4-1-20  (1).jpg
    4-1-20 (1).jpg
    101 KB · Views: 577
Last edited:
I’m kinda jealous lol. I haven’t dug a single silver yet this year. Now our parks and borders are closed. Not looking like I’ll be finding any soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the contest Trapper, If the chance at free silver doesn't spur some additional activity,I don't know what will. Congrats on the silver success as well as the the V nickels. Hard work and persistence has paid off handsomely for you. I started the year out with great success and high hopes but my last 15-20 hours of hunting have yielded a only single buffalo nickel and a few wheats ( along with the usual clad and junk) but nary a silver for a while now. I am in the same boat with sparse targets and the need for some new hunting grounds. I am a little leery of door knocking right now but with the "shelter in place" orders in effect in Montana, maybe I can catch some folks out side in their yards .
Good luck and stay healthy!

Trapper congrats on the silver and another V nickel. Its funny to hear they were your white whale. For me it was a Buff for a long time. Now its a seated. Whats your new white whale ? That Barber quarter looks to be in pretty nice shape. Good luck with your give away. Mark

Good to see you're still batting 1000 Trapper, and with a sweet Barber Quarter too! Sadly my own streak ended yesterday, but not for lack of effort; I'll fill you in on the details later :D

Great finds. Thats an awesome Barber Quarter too. Barber anything is on my list for this year. I can't imagine the thrill of digging a Barber dime, much less a quarter. Good work and Congratulations

Trapper, I love finding Barber quarters, unfortunately they are too far and few between hunts:roll:. But since the start of my new Fiscal year of hunting I have found 3 and several other silver quarters, including my "white whale", 2 standing liberties.....Best of luck on your contest.

By the way, the "stay at home" order (for some) is relegating hunters to the beaches if available or other "non-intrusive" locations. I did get out yesterday here in WA state, but only found 1 Wheatie. Thankfully no one gave me any grief about hunting curbstrips….I wish you the best of your continued luck!

I love finding silver. But I would like to be able to be out finding clad. Might have to go to a local school since they are closed Schools in my state have fences with gates that are locked but yesterday I saw one that the gates were standing open.

Nice haul Trapper. I am stubborn when it comes to hunting,wont give up until dark or the wife calls. Some great recoveries .stay safe all the best. Jonny

That’s the way to keep it going Trapper. Congrats on the barber and V! Too, the other silver. It is getting harder to find fertile ground of late.

I forgot to mention that 1955 is a good date for Dimes! It is the lowest mintage of Roosies meant for circulation, so double congrats!

I’m kinda jealous lol. I haven’t dug a single silver yet this year. Now our parks and borders are closed. Not looking like I’ll be finding any soon.
Hope this situation gets a whole lot better and you can get the opportunities to put some Silver into your coffers. If not there is the possibility you may be drawn for one of the Halves.
Thanks for the contest Trapper, If the chance at free silver doesn't spur some additional activity,I don't know what will. Congrats on the silver success as well as the the V nickels. Hard work and persistence has paid off handsomely for you. I started the year out with great success and high hopes but my last 15-20 hours of hunting have yielded a only single buffalo nickel and a few wheats ( along with the usual clad and junk) but nary a silver for a while now. I am in the same boat with sparse targets and the need for some new hunting grounds. I am a little leery of door knocking right now but with the "shelter in place" orders in effect in Montana, maybe I can catch some folks out side in their yards .
Good luck and stay healthy!
Thank you Todd. Asking permissions is going to be tough so I have to depend on a lot of old pounded grounds for my digging fix. Just got to find the spots where its a lot tougher to dig.
Trapper congrats on the silver and another V nickel. Its funny to hear they were your white whale. For me it was a Buff for a long time. Now its a seated. Whats your new white whale ? That Barber quarter looks to be in pretty nice shape. Good luck with your give away. Mark
Appreciate your reply Mark. I guess the new White Whale is a Shield Nickel. or maybe a Trime. Have dug for most part all the common coins. Would be thrilled to dig a 20 cent piece but that will be very unlikely. The Barber came out of the ground pretty water stained but it did clean up pretty nice. Trapper

Man that’s a lot of silvers! Congrats Trapper. I hope to uncover a barber (or a V for that matter) some day, love the photos. I want to comment on your posts just because, as long as I can and have the time. So will recuse myself from the contest and just comment :) because your posts are generally inspiring, and fun to see. Thank you.

Congrats on all the fantastic finds, Trapper! :woot: The Barber quarter looks like it is in excellent condition, too. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your threads as the warmer weather approaches us! :cool3:

Very nice Trapper, that is a good looking Barber Quarter, and nice Silver Assortment! Thanks for the contest, it is great to promote participation on the Friendly Forum as the number of actual comments to "views" is quite low.

Good to see you're still batting 1000 Trapper, and with a sweet Barber Quarter too! Sadly my own streak ended yesterday, but not for lack of effort; I'll fill you in on the details later :D
Thank you Anthony, I like the idea of staying perfect but know that it will end as it has many times before.The Barber is the star of this report but the "V' is my hero until I get the next one.
Great finds. Thats an awesome Barber Quarter too. Barber anything is on my list for this year. I can't imagine the thrill of digging a Barber dime, much less a quarter. Good work and Congratulations
Thanks Levi. That Barber was not so pretty coming out of the ground but did clean up really nice. I have a pretty good feeling your going to dig yourself a Barber Coin before this year is up.
Trapper, I love finding Barber quarters, unfortunately they are too far and few between hunts:roll:. But since the start of my new Fiscal year of hunting I have found 3 and several other silver quarters, including my "white whale", 2 standing liberties.....Best of luck on your contest.

By the way, the "stay at home" order (for some) is relegating hunters to the beaches if available or other "non-intrusive" locations. I did get out yesterday here in WA state, but only found 1 Wheatie. Thankfully no one gave me any grief about hunting curbstrips….I wish you the best of your continued luck!
Thank you for the reply Paul. Like you I wish Barbers were more abundant in my finds but as much as I like digging silver I wish I dug a lot more Indians. We to have the stay at home orders but allows for solitary activities of which detecting is allowed. Getting private permissions is allowed but not to easy to get at this time. Trapper

If I didn't come home until I found silver I'd still be out there today. In fact, if I didn't come home until I found a coin I'd still be out there! I hunted two late 1800s-early 1900s home sites on a large old farm. My hunting buddy found the only coin of the day: a late 1800s V nickel. We both found a handful of relic-y items. Hours of hiking through the woods and dirt roads. It beat walking around my neighborhood again.

Back
Top Bottom