looking for 1840's mill site - need help

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I have been searching to this particular old mill site. Was supposed to be on a creek but found at the confluence of the main creek and a smaller creek emptying into the main creek with these stone works. Not a gold mill, it was a grist or saw not sure which.

The stone works built into the bank are on both sides of the creek.

Are these stone formation more like the dam site on the creek?

I wonder which side of the small creek would the mill be located. On the pictured side there is more level land and on the opposite of the creek there is about 50-75 feet of level land and then a steep bank up about 40 feet high.

what do you guys think?

I finally found the site by more research and went to the site to day without my metal detector to find the exact location. I will most likely hunt both sides of the creek.

This is also a location were a division of confederate troops crossed.
opps forgot the photo here it is.

Attachments

• millsitesmall.jpg
    millsitesmall.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:
Looks like a nice spot. I'm in the same boat hunting for an old mill site. They can be tough to find. I also wonder if the old mill site are may have a higher concentration of naturally deposited gold flake to pan vs the rest of the river. Let us know what you find detecting.

Looks great. What do I think, power up and start swinging. I've been searching a mill site for the last couple summers where the finds came from the water, land not so much. Found CW stuff along with relics of the mill period. Good Luck.

Looks great. What do I think, power up and start swinging. I've been searching a mill site for the last couple summers where the finds came from the water, land not so much. Found CW stuff along with relics of the mill period. Good Luck.

This is my experience too. On land I've had more luck searching the road to the mill than right next to the mill itself. Also I found that older mills are often near the house of the guy that owned the mill or storage for the mill. Check for flat spots up hill in a dry area. Sometimes you can see where the trail was even with the trees growing on it.

That doesn't mean I don't check the mill. I have found a few things around them.

This is my experience too. On land I've had more luck searching the road to the mill than right next to the mill itself. Also I found that older mills are often near the house of the guy that owned the mill or storage for the mill. Check for flat spots up hill in a dry area. Sometimes you can see where the trail was even with the trees growing on it.

That doesn't mean I don't check the mill. I have found a few things around them.

This now appears to be a bridge foundation from the past. Not a mill site. My wife figured that one out.

Old bridges are fun to hunt also. Search in the water on the down stream side mostly also look for any areas that a team could be stopped and watered and where the driver could eat lunch.

Back
Top Bottom