Hubby bought me a birthday present

scrapaddict

So, my hubby decided to surprise me & get me a water proof metal detector. He did a ton of research but since he wanted it to be a surprise he didn't ask me any questions. Just went based on the fact that I wanted something water proof & that we go to Florida every year. So he got me a Sea Hunter Mark 2 based on all the reviews he read. It is of course supposed to be a great machine but.....

The problem is that I had already done my own research and read ALL the posts on here and decided that an Equinox 800 was the best choice for me. I had accepted I wasn't going to get one anytime soon because of the cost but now that he bought me one I am thinking life is short & maybe I should just do it, LOL.

I guess before I pull the trigger I just want to make sure I am making the right choice. I want an overall good machine that will allow me to find the goodies in salt water, fresh water & on land. I am going to be doing this with my daughters & really don't need to have it be the best of the best but I do want to find stuff. I bought the Bounty Hunter Platinum for my oldest daughter and we really haven't had too much success with it. I am not sure if that is because I suck, just haven't learned the machine that well or the machine is junk or a combination of all that, LOL

Anyway, I value the opinions of you experienced guys and wanted to see if you think my research has landed me on the right choice with the Equinox 800?

If overall cost is an issue have you considered the NOX 600? From what I have read on here the basic hardware and capabilities of the two machines are the same and the main differences are in the operating system and availability of options between the two. There are plenty of experienced users of both machines here that I am sure can elaborate. Good luck in whatever machine you decide on!

Tell him it's not the one you wanted and why. Nobody wants to give a gift that's not right and most would not care if they exchange it.
If you're not having luck with the BH platinum then it's probably your location. Wether it's saltwater or an unproductive dirt area. I guess it could also be operater error..
Multi freq detectors work better than single freq detectors in high mineral areas like saltwater. The equinox's are loved by many and would be a good choice. Experienced guys say they can be hard to learn. If you don't need water proof the Fisher cz's are very easy to learn and work great everywhere but are heavy. Nokta Makro detectors have a salt water setting that seems to work ok in saltwater.

Well what I nice husband you have!!!

But it looks like he may be like me and always messes up!!!

My wife absolutely screams every time I get a new metal detector....not with excitement of course but out of disgust!!

However, I give him credit for at at least getting you a nice unit. But I understand how you feel.

Just tell him the truth and send it back, It is a very nice unit the garrett. If you were going to dive, I would take that over the equinox.

I am sure he will understand.

I hadn't considered the 600 wasn't sure what the difference was but will check it out, thanks!

He understands that he didn't get the right one and is ok with me returning it and getting what I want. I think the one we have now is just not a great one but will keep for my 10 year old to have fun with

He is an awesome hubby of 25 years. He did pick a great unit just not what I need right now I don't think. I hope to dive someday but don't have time for it now. thanks!

Really curious now how the discrete elimination type discrimination works on the PI SH Mark 2.

Really curious now how the discrete elimination type discrimination works on the PI SH Mark 2.

From what I've read, it doesn't.

I owned one for several years and all it does for discrimination is allow you to find the class rings(which are higher up near the penny area)
So you will miss lots of good gold using disc.
Unfortunately you will dig everything including rusty iron.
Good thing is it works in black sand and it is deep!
I recommend the Equinox 600 or 800!đź‘Ť

Back
Top Bottom