SOLVED - Fisher F75 LTD 2 (Best upgrade for me - Equinox 800 or ?)

TCosbyJr

Forum Supporter
I thought I'd ask for some actual experiences and advice on which detector to save up funds for as a upgrade. Money wise the $700-$900 max range for the ultimate detector for me (at least with the current models and price). Sure a XP Deus or Minelab CTX 3030 is amazing, but will always be out of my price range.

My needs/use
I am looking for of course some great depth for old finds, but with awesome target separation/recovery being a larger concern and likely frequency for "hunted out" spots. I'm not brand loyal so that isn't a issue. I tend to be a digger, anything that comes up as pull tab or better I dig. I am a coinshooter, but relics are great too. I search parks, schools, fields, private yards and property, and tot lots. The soil in my area is very low mineralization (hoovering a bit under 0.025% Fe3O4) and ground balances as mild clay (Fisher detector GB in the 50 range and it lists clay in the 40-75 range (A 0-95 scale, wet salt is 0 and black iron a 95).

I am 6' 2" barefoot so it seems some detectors would have length issues, such as needing a longer shaft for the Simplex+ I've discovered. I've never had a problem with detectors shaft length previously. I consider myself average height though due to how much taller my cousins, uncle, and others in my family are (and even others in my area). I guess it is good they are not in the detecting hobby.

Coil size in my area/use a 9" size DD works best, and the 9.5" x 5.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD footprint is ideal. I've tried larger coils that get lost in trash signals and the smaller 4-6" coils that add loads more swing/coverage time. I have not made a find yet with a larger/smaller coil that a 9" coil would not have found too. I've swapped coils checking targets at parks/yards to see it first-hand multiple times. After experiencing the same results on several detectors throughout the years I'm very dubious at least for my area/use on needing multiple coils or overly large ones.

After about a month of searching models I am lost on a upgrade. The more I look at videos/reviews/tests/etc it seems everything is equal at best or even worse than what I have now. I also found much of the information is one-sided either due to ignorance of the detectors and settings, brand shills, or unknown advantages - with comments on videos/posts/articles pointing it out at times by viewers. Or it simply does not help in determining it's potential short of buying to try it myself and loosing money reselling as it was not a upgrade as has typically happened in the past.

The last local detector store in my area actually has a very well aged test garden (40+ years I think it was) but the problem is any demo machines they have are the budget friendly Garrett Ace or similar models. Even if they do carry some of the higher end models I am sure they would not allow them to be tested/demo, which itself would only help with the more basic detector selection anyway.

What I found
From the current offerings from all the brands I thought the Minelab Equinox 800 was the one to get, with a Nox 600 a close 2nd. The multiple simultaneously frequencies had me sold that it would be a major advantage. Further searching of that model though showed search coil tab/ear problems (with people 3D printing fixes), shaft issues and fatigue or recommendations to replace the entire shaft. Even multiple negative reviews of the Nox 800 about short battery life, nothing special over any other past/cheaper detectors, charging problems, and EMI issues.

Other alternatives like a MXT or M6 from White's is not really an option due to support/repair. Same for Tesoro. I already had their Cibola and Outlaw but for me neither did better than anything I had previously. A Fisher F75 LTD, G2+, or similar models seem to suffer bad EMI anywhere, and appear they are easily out paced by the Nox 800. If anything I was originally leaning towards a Garrett AT Pro or AT Max, but many honest reviews stopped that. Hopefully though a new AT Pro Apex or such is in the final manufacturing stages and would make the upgrade decision easy. The Garrett Apex seems to be the budget Ace product line, and no stock till August before non-Garrett staff/testers get one for a honest review to see where it matches up, so is off my list. The Nokta Makro products Impact, Multi Kruzer (and here), and Anfibio Multi may have multiple frequencies but only work one at a time, not simultaneously like the Equinox detectors do. Same for the X-Terra 705 I found used locally, single frequency based on the coil. So that is a bummer for sure. They also seem to suffer similar shaft issues, EMI problems, and other issues of detectors in recent years.

I have to admit I am not a fan of internal battery powered models - which about all use now. If I forget to charge it or it dies mid-use I am out of luck and can't change batteries as I often do as I tend to detect anywhere from 4-10 hours at a time. I know some allow a USB power pack to keep going, or external battery hook-ups. The real problem is all batteries have a shelf-life like some of my families old iPhones and other things now show - which for the detector company has to be a great money maker after warranties expire. Unless of course someone does like Sven1 in this post to do their own, or can even add a bigger external one too.

At one point I thought of Simplex+ for now due to the price, until I could decide what to upgrade to; however, there is no advantage doing so. I was going to if nothing else gift it to my dad to get him back in the hobby for a detector buddy, but he wants nothing to do with detecting anymore. My current setup in discriminate does a bit better than Simplex+ modes Park/Park 1, and in all metal with VDI still a bit better than the Simplex+ Field mode - in depth from various videos I've seen of it in use at parks/fields/etc, garden test beds, and the air tests (illegitimate or not). In gold jewelry my setup well outperforms the Simplex+ which is not a surprise due to the higher 19 kHz frequency.

Final Thoughts
I know there is no perfect detector out there, or one that will discover awesome finds if they are not in the ground. After all if there was it would be the only detector for sale. With all the recent changes in machines and companies since I was in the hobby last it seems like it has all changed drastically.

I have no doubt most companies warranties will resolve any potential problem, and relieve my worries - Garrett was awesome at that recently.

The main problem I want to avoid is another detector upgrade that isn't. Buyers remorse like the factory fresh machines of White's Coinmaster Pro and Tesoro Outlaw were for me, and I lost 30% (or more in trade/sell price average of my past detectors) when I could have gotten something else I'd been happy with. I am in no hurry to buy and couldn't right now anyway. My current detector and coil is the best I've ever had in the hobby for depth/separation, but the thought of what is a true upgrade has set in. :signals:

Last edited:
I upgraded to an Equinox 600 2 months ago. i bought used so that if I didn't like it I could get most/all of my money out of it.

So far I am really pleased. I feel like I jelled with the machine right away. I feel like it was an upgrade and was worth the cost and the NOX is a great machine.

Now the bad... after swinging a Fisher F75 it isn't great to swing the Equinox. The F75 is so solid, balanced and ergonomic. The Equinox is lighter but nose heavy, the shaft feels flimsy and I have to tighten up the cam lock in front of the control head multiple times per hunt. Even when tight it feels flimsy and wobbles like a cheap detector. Every time I use it I worry about breaking the armrest/cuff. I've seen many reports of people breaking them and I understand why. Like the shaft it is incredibly flimsy. Many people end up upgrading the shaft and arm cuff and I suppose I will as well. It is annoying that I will probably have to spend as much as a cheap detector just to upgrade the shaft and cuff to make the Equinox feel as good as it performs.

Overall the Equinox is a great machine and a legitimate upgrade. It just doesn't have the feel of a great machine.... at least not in the stock configuration. The performance is very good.

My 2 cents after owning a NOX for 2 months.

You say you read a lot about "search coil tab/ear problems (with people 3D printing fixes), shaft issues and fatigue or recommendations to replace the entire shaft. Even multiple negative reviews of the Nox 800 about short battery life..."

You only hear things when they go bad. There are thousands of Nox's sold that do not have any issues. I've only had mine since Feb, but absolutely love it! I have friends with them that had them since they first came out and have never had an issue. The shaft is fine as is. I may go carbon fiber simply because I like to water detect, but it's fine now in the water. Battery life is excellent! I've never seen a criticism of that...it goes more than 12 hours on a single charge. The best part is that if anything happens to your Nox, Minelab customer service is excellent from everyone that I've heard.

Good luck!

For the type of hunting and price range you described, the Equinox 800 sounds like a very good match IMHO. If you're really set on a Deus or CTX, I'm sure a nice used one could be found in or close to your price range.

Anyway, I've posted several in depth reviews on popular models if you want to have a look. I try to be un-biased and mention any negatives or possible issues I've noticed. Might be helpful?
Equinox 800
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=259041
Simplex
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=280896
CTX 3030
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=232217
XP Deus
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=238365

Good luck!

Your post sounds to me you really want the Equinox, but want to get feedback on whether or not you've made the right choice. I don't own a Nox, but have heard very good things about it. Take the plunge! Ultimately, a detector is as good as the person swinging it. Learn it, love it and don't look back! Good luck to you and happy hunting!

I thought I'd ask for some actual experiences and advice on which detector to save up funds for as a upgrade. Money wise the $700-$900 max range for the ultimate detector for me (at least with the current models and price). Sure a XP Deus or Minelab CTX 3030 is amazing, but will always be out of my price range.........

A mid-sized coil sounds important to you, so keep in mind that the Equinox doesn't have any aftermarket coils other than their own 15" and 6". If they had one, I would buy a 6x9 or similar coil in a heartbeat.

I've had my Equinox 800 for over a year with no issues other than the padding on the arm cuff falling off. I have a lot of hours on it. No problems with the shaft, battery, coil ears, arm cuff, or anything else. I'm also just shy of 6'3" and I don't have the shaft fully extended, nor do I ever notice it wobbling. I did install the coil ear stiffeners as cheap insurance. If I beach hunted in chest deep water I would definitely do the stiffeners and put on a new shaft.

The battery is nothing to worry about. If you are on an all day hunt, just bring an external battery pack that outputs at least 2 amps (for the fastest charging) and when you take a break to eat or move to a new spot, give it a boost. It doesn't hurt the internal battery to give it partial charges. If necessary, just run it off the battery pack.

I have several detectors and use them all, but if I could only keep one it would be the Equinox.

Your mileage may vary.

The Vanquish 540 is Multi IQ. The pro Pack offers 2 coils , wireless headphones , not waterproof, but splash proof !!!! Lots of features at a reasonable price.... mine works great. The Garrett Apex will probably be good. No additional coils at release time. I just can’t jive with the Audio it has . HH Tony

Check out my signature line to see what detectors I currently use. Minelab knows how to produce great detectors. My vote goes to the Equinox 800. It really finds the the goods right out of the box with no tweaking. I am going to compare it to a Etrac because the Etrac has tons of fans, and is thought of as one of the best silver detectors made. I bought an Etrac used after I bought the Equinox 800 just to see if I was missing out. I even have two extra aftermarket coils for the Etrac. I just don't use the Etrac much even though it deserves all it's praise. If I hunted clean yards exclusively then my vote might go to the Etrac, but since I hunt a lot of trashy places I am all in on the Equinox.

I just think the Equinox 800 is a better all around detector. Especially for the money. I hunt with a devoted and very proficient Etrac user, and honestly I don't think the Etrac can significantly out hunt the Equinox 800 even with it's ferrous-conductive V.D.I.. I will admit the Etrac is a better pure cherry picking machine, but if you are down and dirty in iron or modern trash infested sites I think the Equinox is better. I would not suggest the 6" coil for the Equinox. Others may disagree, but I have just not found a lot of use for the 6" coil. The stock coil is fantastic in trash, and in my opinion the 6" coil offers no advantages unless you are hunting around a lot of obstacles.

I have replaced the stock rods with carbon rods. I replaced the cuff with a Herke brand cuff. I did install a coil strengthening block to be on the safe side. I did all these upgrades because it's my go to detector and I want to be sure I have comfort and total reliability. I also have a backup battery pack just in case.

The 800 offers the tweaking of tones, tone volumes, and tone pitches. I don't think the 600 offers this flexibility. I have my tones, tone pitches, as well as their volumes set to my preferences. I use 5 tones exclusively. People say the Equinox is not balanced well, but I can swing it longer than and other detector I have.

The biggest drawbacks of the Equinox I have found is that it can be prone interference with bad EMI. It does not happen often, but does rear it's ugly head occasionally. When it does I will pull out the Etrac. I have never had a EMI issue anywhere I have used the Etrac. The compressed V.I.D. on the Equinox can be a problem until you know the machine. You also have to be willing to dig more trash with the Equinox overall, but as you get more hours much of this is reduced. Every machine has it's strengths and weaknesses, but if I could only have one machine it would be the Equinox 800 regardless of how much I had to spend on a detector.

Are the Equinox detectors still having issues with wobbling shafts and arm cuff problems? I've read threads from a couple of years ago seemed like alot of complaints. Like TCosby, I'm intrigued by all of the Equinox hype and am considering one in the future after I master my ACE 400. For the price, they should have all of the issues sorted out.

I'll be the E-Trac fan that chimes in. A used one can be gotten for about $750 or so.

I've had mine for 10 years, and I hunt alot, and it is very rugged and well-built. The only thing that has gone bad is the battery (which I replaced with an after market battery which lasts 18 hours), and the handle foam.

Another positive is that you can put after market coils on it. I don't like the idea of a machine that does not allow this.

Its big negative is its weight/balance. It can be fatiguing, but I've put in plenty of 12 hour hunts with it. You build up the arm muscles :)

I do hunt mostly hunted out parks and fields, as opposed to trashy areas, but I still think the E-Trac is pretty quick, and I pulled 4 silvers recently out of the backyard of a late 1700s farmhouse.

Is it faster than the Nox, I don't know. Until I get a Nox and compare them side to side with my own experiments, I will not have an opinion on that. I am spooked on the Nox by the "flimsy vibe" I keep hearing, and not being able to use after market coils.

Are the Equinox detectors still having issues with wobbling shafts and arm cuff problems? I've read threads from a couple of years ago seemed like alot of complaints. Like TCosby, I'm intrigued by all of the Equinox hype and am considering one in the future after I master my ACE 400. For the price, they should have all of the issues sorted out.

I do want to again say that I really like my Equinox and that it was a good upgrade. I may never break the arm cuff but it definitely makes me nervous as thin as the plastic is. The shaft is definitely flimsy, but I like the Equinox enough that I will likely upgrade the shaft at some point this year. Steveg has some really nice looking shafts. It is just odd the way Minelab made these components so weak on a very good metal detector.

Those issues aside it is a great machine.

I do want to again say that I really like my Equinox and that it was a good upgrade. I may never break the arm cuff but it definitely makes me nervous as thin as the plastic is. The shaft is definitely flimsy, but I like the Equinox enough that I will likely upgrade the shaft at some point this year. Steveg has some really nice looking shafts. It is just odd the way Minelab made these components so weak on a very good metal detector.

Those issues aside it is a great machine.
If you plan to upgrade to Steve’s I totally recommend also getting the counterweight. (Steve’s is tho only one with the counterweight available)
The counterweight is an absolute must to offset the coils and is much easier on your wrist. You can’t have my 800. Lol
Doug

The F75 and Vanquish sound like good recommendations for replaceable battery options. Vanquish comes with elliptical coils and F75 also. F75 also has aftermarket coils. Would probably go with the 540 out of those for BT, simultaneous multifreq, etc. Just based on specs and feedback seen.

I've had an F75 for a short time and Nox 800 also for a short time. Can't give much feedback on those but many love the F75 LTD/SE. I like the XP ORX recommended on here however it has the internal batteries. Will have another 800 when it arrives and will use it for the large 15x12 coil in large areas and beach.

I'll be the E-Trac fan that chimes in. A used one can be gotten for about $750 or so.

I've had mine for 10 years, and I hunt alot, and it is very rugged and well-built. The only thing that has gone bad is the battery (which I replaced with an after market battery which lasts 18 hours), and the handle foam.

Another positive is that you can put after market coils on it. I don't like the idea of a machine that does not allow this.

Its big negative is its weight/balance. It can be fatiguing, but I've put in plenty of 12 hour hunts with it. You build up the arm muscles :)

I do hunt mostly hunted out parks and fields, as opposed to trashy areas, but I still think the E-Trac is pretty quick, and I pulled 4 silvers recently out of the backyard of a late 1700s farmhouse.

Is it faster than the Nox, I don't know. Until I get a Nox and compare them side to side with my own experiments, I will not have an opinion on that. I am spooked on the Nox by the "flimsy vibe" I keep hearing, and not being able to use after market coils.

Here's the deal with the Etrac. I have one and while I am not an expert with one they seem to be best for deep silver in pretty clean ground. Just this past week I pulled 2 Mercs and a Barber from behind an Etrac.

Could he have just missed them? Maybe but he stayed in the two areas I found them for a really long time because he had found a Merc in each of the two areas. One of the Mercs I found I ask him to swing over and he said I'm getting a bleep of a high tone, but numbers were not good. The Nox 800 was pretty consistent, and I felt it was silver. It was a Merc, and I have seen this happen enough to be a problem for me. The thing is it's never the other way around. I swing over his targets and never call them wrong. I will give the Etrac it's due for I.D. in clean ground, but not where there is much trash or iron around.

Many thanks for the responses here in the thread and some via private messages.

Reading through the replies it seems the Nox 800 ergonomics and build (shaft and coil) are issues for many and not just random problems - such as a leaking control box. The battery isn't a concern really with external options available. Also its rather easy to replace the internal battery on the Nox 800. Minelab has published a illustrated guide to replacing the battery. There are also details on the battery to buy for a replacement.

A mid-sized coil sounds important to you, so keep in mind that the Equinox doesn't have any aftermarket coils other than their own 15" and 6". If they had one, I would buy a 6x9 or similar coil in a heartbeat

Not a deal killer, but indeed if one was offered by Minelab or a 3rd party it would be a big plus. Glad to hear I am not the only one who has a fondness of that coil size.

I upgraded to an Equinox 600 2 months ago. i bought used so that if I didn't like it I could get most/all of my money out of it.

So far I am really pleased. I feel like I jelled with the machine right away. I feel like it was an upgrade and was worth the cost and the NOX is a great machine.

Now the bad... after swinging a Fisher F75 it isn't great to swing the Equinox. The F75 is so solid, balanced and ergonomic. ...

I have to ask did you upgrade to your Nox 600 from a F75?

The F75 and Vanquish sound like good recommendations for replaceable battery options. Vanquish comes with elliptical coils and F75 also. F75 also has aftermarket coils. Would probably go with the 540 out of those for BT, simultaneous multifreq, etc. Just based on specs and feedback seen.

I've had an F75 for a short time and Nox 800 also for a short time. Can't give much feedback on those but many love the F75 LTD/SE. ...

The Vanquish series seems to be the Minelab's version of the Garrett's ACE series in price, performance, and unbelievably the controls and face even appear to be nearly cloned. Here is one such review.

The F75 however is the flagship detector of Fisher Labs, and for good reason. It seems though there is often confusion over the model, and the many various changes to the circuit/software through the years, without changing the name beyond a few designations if anything.

I bought an Etrac used after I bought the Equinox 800 just to see if I was missing out. I even have two extra aftermarket coils for the Etrac. I just don't use the Etrac much even though it deserves all it's praise. If I hunted clean yards exclusively then my vote might go to the Etrac, but since I hunt a lot of trashy places I am all in on the Equinox.

Some wise words for sure, and similar to what I've heard a lot recently.

It seems many who currently own a whole arsenal of detectors from beginner to flagship models in the same brands, often across various brands too, have a mid/upper range detector that tends to be their go to detector over the top dollar ones. I've read it in several articles, and even in some of the private messages I've gotten from this topic.

Its big negative is its weight/balance. It can be fatiguing, but I've put in plenty of 12 hour hunts with it. You build up the arm muscles :) ...

I've checked into used detectors myself. After reading up on many upper range models I found if they are not used under ideal conditions, not properly setup, or compared to new models recovery speed or depth, or due to overall weight - are simply best avoided. Some models however seem they may be worth it regardless, and a way found to make them work in the conditions needed.

Weight wise I'm not sure how bad it would be, it's been years since I've swung anything over 3 pounds. I kind of thought if nothing else a harness could be a easy fix for that too if needed.

I must admit I really thought a bit over the Minelab Safari model new at the sale price of $599. I could always swing slower due to the reported slow/sluggish recovery speed, no problem there, but I know there are better options. Too bad too as a Detech SEF Pro 8×6″ coil would likely make it really shine in my area.

It seems though you have all helped me to make a choice about the Equinox 800 at least. A lack of coil sizes along with the extra costs to redo the shaft and such beyond my max price range, simply puts the Equinox 800 off my list. That is the great thing about asking for advice. Instead of being talked into buying one, it actually was the opposite for me. Perhaps in the future though.

If I was buying now I'd likely choose the newest Fisher F75 model as EMI was the only real issue I read. It would also be a great upgrade overall for me as well. The EMI it seems is not a common issue for most with the newest models, and appears in videos to be little more than threshold in all metal mode type of chatter. However as I am not buying unless I find a deal I can't pass up (and can find the money), I'll keep looking and perhaps a new model will be released when I save up the funds (or find a amazing deal on a used detector I couldn't get otherwise).

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
I have to ask did you upgrade to your Nox 600 from a F75?

Yes. I really like my F75, it is the latest model with DST, boost, cache and FA modes, but I had to see what all the hype was about with the NOX. The Equinox is definitely a good machine and so far I'm happy with it. It was a good upgrade. Perhaps not fair to compare the ergonomics of the Equinox with the F75 since the F75 is known for its solid and well balanced feel.

Yes. I really like my F75, it is the latest model with DST, boost, cache and FA modes, but I had to see what all the hype was about with the NOX. The Equinox is definitely a good machine and so far I'm happy with it. It was a good upgrade. Perhaps not fair to compare the ergonomics of the Equinox with the F75 since the F75 is known for its solid and well balanced feel.

Hype or not I can't blame you, everyone does it myself included - especially when it comes to detectors. It is also likely a factor that keeps the hobby alive. If everyone kept their detector regardless for decades or more, there wouldn't be any company left to make new machines. Well unless of course the company is diversified into other areas too like Garrett.

I am glad you are enjoying your upgrade, HH! There is something special about a upgrade that makes all the old locations new again and exciting. :D

Looking at some posts of a older F75 pre-DST to a newer F75 post-DST model used by the same person and at the same areas the before/after review is about what I figured. I guess as the detectors become more computer software driven, and even more devices emit EMI siginals, that EMI will be a revolving issue in the hobby. If I have been lucky with little to no EMI in my area, or have not had a detector yet that is sensitive to EMI is now a question I hope I never find out.

Well I guess this is consider solved, and I updated the thread title.

I really wasn't looking to purchase anything soon, but a classified ad was pointed out to me in a private message, and I was already doing a bit of looking at it. A quick talk with family about the missing funds, and well I'm a proud Fisher F75 LTD 2 owner! The price and timing seemed too good to pass up.

I plan to keep both my current detectors and pinpointers, and if nothing else I'll have a set to loan if I can occasionally get someone to go detecting too.

I appreciate the responses and if the upgrade itch ever strikes again, perhaps we'll be talking about different detector models a long time from now. In the meantime hopefully it will be about my finds with the F75. :D

Well I guess this is consider solved, and I updated the thread title.

I really wasn't looking to purchase anything soon, but a classified ad was pointed out to me in a private message, and I was already doing a bit of looking at it. A quick talk with family about the missing funds, and well I'm a proud Fisher F75 LTD 2 owner! The price and timing seemed too good to pass up.

I plan to keep both my current detectors and pinpointers, and if nothing else I'll have a set to loan if I can occasionally get someone to go detecting too.

I appreciate the responses and if the upgrade itch ever strikes again, perhaps we'll be talking about different detector models a long time from now. In the meantime hopefully it will be about my finds with the F75. :D

You made a good choice imo. Not that theres anything wrong with the nox or any other machine for that matter.But the f75 is just hard to beat in every department.It really is the total package

Back
Top Bottom