Looking for a Sand Scoop

RocketBoy

Hi, folks! I'm looking for a recommendation for a Sand Scoop to use in dry and wet sand. I'd prefer Stainless Steel with a 32"-34" handle. I'm not adverse to spending money, but I don't want a 2nd mortgage to pay for Sand Scoop. I saw what looks like a nice one at Beach Sand Scoop dot Com called the Miami. Looked very sturdy which appeals to me. Thanks in advance.

b/r

RB

I bought mine used and it has served me well. I just checked out Amazon and there are the CooB and CKG scoops that look pretty reasonable. Be sure to check to see which ones have handles and which ones are scoops only. Good luck and happy hunting!

I ordered the Xtreme scoop, but then covid hit and all my plans fell apart. That said, it is built like a tank. Some complain it’s a rip-off of other designs, but BASF has been doing that forever. If/when I get to use it, I have no doubt it will be up to the task. They even have a titanium model, but I can’t envision myself in an airplane any time soon, if ever again.

I'm not sure what brand my scoop is. I didn't buy it from the manufacturer. I've been really impressed with it so far! Maybe someone more knowledgeable will know what model it is.

Attachments

• 20191012_154832-600x420.jpg
    20191012_154832-600x420.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 977
Thanks to all for your suggestions. I think I've made my decision -- Extreme Scoops "Sand Shredder V2". It's made in USA, 316 S.S., LASER cut, Carbon-Fiber handles, sturdy construction and it gets good reviews on the InterWeb. This was not the cheapest option. Truthfully, none of the top of the line choices were inexpensive. I believe in buying once, crying once. Pretty sure this will outlast me. If, I change my mind, I'll revise my thread. But, at this point, this is my decision.

b/r

RB

This is what I have and absolutely love it. It's the titanium one but identical otherwise.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I think I've made my decision -- Extreme Scoops "Sand Shredder V2". It's made in USA, 316 S.S., LASER cut, Carbon-Fiber handles, sturdy construction and it gets good reviews on the InterWeb. This was not the cheapest option. Truthfully, none of the top of the line choices were inexpensive. I believe in buying once, crying once. Pretty sure this will outlast me. If, I change my mind, I'll revise my thread. But, at this point, this is my decision.

b/r

RB

I'm not sure what brand my scoop is. I didn't buy it from the manufacturer. I've been really impressed with it so far! Maybe someone more knowledgeable will know what model it is.

Looks like a stealth to me, I'm still on the fence on which scoop to purchase. Not sure I want to drop 2-300 clams on a scoop I'll only use a handful of times a year. But I dont want to buy cheap and regret it either, like my past 2 scoops (deteknix scoopal). So I'll wait it out until a nice used one shows up and try to go that route. Keep us posted on your extreme scoop!

Looks like a stealth to me, I'm still on the fence on which scoop to purchase. Not sure I want to drop 2-300 clams on a scoop I'll only use a handful of times a year. But I dont want to buy cheap and regret it either, like my past 2 scoops (deteknix scoopal). So I'll wait it out until a nice used one shows up and try to go that route. Keep us posted on your extreme scoop!
Just remember, if it comes up used there is a reason. Unless that reason is getting out of the hobby maybe it didn't work so well. Buying quality equipment is usually a good investment.

Cliff

I always justify (rationalize) these types of expenditures by telling myself I don't smoke or drink anymore. LOL! "Buy once, cry once." is more appropriate. As a young man I'd end up buying two or more of something because it was cheaper, only to end up buying the quality item anyway. Also, there's a certain unquantifiable feeling of pride in owning a good tool. JMHO, YMMV.

b/r

RB

Last edited:
It's a done deal! I had to wait for it to get out of welding before I could buy it. No kidding. I originally went to the website and as I tried to check out, I got the message 'out of stock'. I had spoken to John the night before, but didn't commit because I was waiting for a check to arrive. The check arrived in the mail, so I figured I'd go ahead and order it. When I spoke to John, he told me he'd have one ready tonight. He called and we sealed the deal. Every Sand Scoop they make is sold immediately after completion. From Xtreme Scoops viewpoint, it's a good problem to have. I guess what I'm saying is, contact Steve if you run into the same issue I did. He's a great guy to deal with.

b/r

RB

The Xtreme Sand Shredder V2 arrived this morning. The welding looks clean with full penetration. Overall finish could have been a little better, but not bad. The V2 design inludes the finer mesh in the rear of the scoop and the standard hexagonal openings on the rest of the scoop. It arrived with the 46" Carbon-Fiber (C-F) shaft and the MOTUS T-Grip handle. The C-F handle has an interesting texture over its entire length, it should provide additional purchase when the shaft is wet. This is my first Sand Scoop, so I don't have anything else to compare it to. But overall, I'm pleased. It's a little heavy, but certainly managible. Thanks to all for your valued opinions.

b/r

RB

Last edited:
I got a package in the mail today. Thinking it was some neck gaiters I'd ordered, imagine my surprise when I opened the package and it was an Extreme Scoops 'Finds' pouch and anothet MOTUS T-Handle! You could have knocked me over with a feather. I emailed John immediately and thanked him.

b/r

RB

Hate to dredge up an old thread but I'm considering this Xtreme Scoop and was hoping to get some feedback now that the OP has had it for about 7 months. Unfortunately I see his last activity was back in July.

Does anybody else have the Xtreme Scoop, titanium or SS to report on? The Ti is a serious investment and I was looking to hear some testimonials.

Thanks in advance........

Hate to dredge up an old thread but I'm considering this Xtreme Scoop and was hoping to get some feedback now that the OP has had it for about 7 months. Unfortunately I see his last activity was back in July.

Does anybody else have the Xtreme Scoop, titanium or SS to report on? The Ti is a serious investment and I was looking to hear some testimonials.

Thanks in advance........

I have the Xtreme Sand Shredder2 in 316 stainless that I have been using for several months and I could not be more pleased with it.
I have heard, recently, that John has been inactive about building scoops and answering calls. But, if you can get one, I don't think you will be disappointed.

I have the Xtreme Sand Shredder2 in 316 stainless that I have been using for several months and I could not be more pleased with it.
I have heard, recently, that John has been inactive about building scoops and answering calls. But, if you can get one, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Thanx for the 411. That is the most likely one for me too.

I've got to ask this dumb question. I feel like a fool asking it. Is there really a LH vs RH travel design? What differs on the way you hold the scoop? I feel like John is yanking everyones chain and just goofing on customers. The handle looks like it's a straight piece of carbon fiber, SS or ash. What am I missing? Other than my mind apparently ;)

Thanx for the 411. That is the most likely one for me too.

I've got to ask this dumb question. I feel like a fool asking it. Is there really a LH vs RH travel design? What differs on the way you hold the scoop? I feel like John is yanking everyones chain and just goofing on customers. The handle looks like it's a straight piece of carbon fiber, SS or ash. What am I missing? Other than my mind apparently ;)

The right and left hand handles are a real thing lol, one is regular threading and one is left hand thread, when you pull on the handle during a dig depending on which hand it would loosen the handle. Hope that made any sense :D

A quick scoop question.....
In some youtube videos of people using scoops some handles have an attachment that fits on at a right angle to make it easier to lift and shake.
What are they called and where do you find one?

Back
Top Bottom