A Couple Firsts and Assorted Oddities

KantoDave

I often go door knocking on the weekends in the old section of town. I can typically just handle 3 or 4 "no" responses before I give up and go home or go back to the same parks I've pounded time and again.

Last weekend I scored a big yard and was told I could come back anytime. So I did. Below are my keepers after three separate hunts (3, 1.5, and 1.5 hours respectively). Of course some of that was talking with the very chatting home owner. He cleaned me out in clad the first day, but let me keep everything after that. I always find it so strange when owners take my hard earned pocket change.

I found 2 firsts in this yard. I found my first "V" nickel (which I forgot to put in the total picture), and my first gold earring. I also found my oldest coin to date, an 1891 Indian, which put off a very strange signal. I probably miss a ton of them. Only my 3rd Indian ever.

ID help on the large metal ball? ID help on the Ford key's age? Also the spoon says "Silver Plate." Any ID on value?

Attachments

• House8Apr.jpg
    House8Apr.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 462
  • Dirty8Apr.jpg
    Dirty8Apr.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 455
  • Total Keepers.jpg
    Total Keepers.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 466
  • SuperKeepers8Apr.jpg
    SuperKeepers8Apr.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 462
  • Oddities8Apr.jpg
    Oddities8Apr.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 458
Wow, that soil is kind to Indians! Amazing condition... Congrats on all the silvers and the condom tin is a laughable, but cool find - just found my first 3 Merry Widows a couple weeks back... ;) If I'm not mistaken, that 'Fifty Cents' version is one of the older ones, if not the first....

Great hunt! I love finding Indian Heads. I don't know what you are seeing on the AT Gold but the AT Pro sometimes shows them as more of a brass signal, like 68-72, but it's usually steady. I dig anything steady in that range as I've found some cool brass artifacts.
Congrats also on having the courage to go knock on the doors and ask. That is not an easy thing to do.

Wow, that soil is kind to Indians! Amazing condition... Congrats on all the silvers and the condom tin is a laughable, but cool find - just found my first 3 Merry Widows a couple weeks back... ;) If I'm not mistaken, that 'Fifty Cents' version is one of the older ones, if not the first....

It was by far the best condition penny I've pulled out of the ground pre-1950's. The dirt just clings to the others, even after a toothbrush, hot water, and soap. When I pulled it out of the ground there was so much dirt on it, I could only tell it was a indian by looking at the back. I'm ashamed to say I nicked the top right edge when I pulled it out. I used a spit shine and my gloves to get most of the dirt off. I know that's poor form but I couldn't wait till I got home to know the date.

Great hunt! I love finding Indian Heads. I don't know what you are seeing on the AT Gold but the AT Pro sometimes shows them as more of a brass signal, like 68-72, but it's usually steady. I dig anything steady in that range as I've found some cool brass artifacts.
Congrats also on having the courage to go knock on the doors and ask. That is not an easy thing to do.

I think you're right, I remember it being something I typically don't dig. I always pull out old 7up screw caps or the like at that range. I only dug it because I was scoring so many keepers. No telling how many i've passed up. I'll take all my indians with me next time and do a test to see what they ring up for future reference.

It was by far the best condition penny I've pulled out of the ground pre-1950's. The dirt just clings to the others, even after a toothbrush, hot water, and soap. When I pulled it out of the ground there was so much dirt on it, I could only tell it was a indian by looking at the back. I'm ashamed to say I nicked the top right edge when I pulled it out. I used a spit shine and my gloves to get most of the dirt off. I know that's poor form but I couldn't wait till I got home to know the date.

My husband put together one of these http://www.restorationplace.typepad.com/restoration_place/2008/03/diy-electrolysi.html for cleaning up coins. Do it outside though on your porch because it can produce toxic gasses. He did this as well for a blackened silver ring he found in the water and it's shiny new now. The only thing it didn't work on was a black quarter that had been exposed to some kind of chemical.

Congrats on a great hunt. I haven't been finding much in the older yards I've been hunting lately. Probably been hit hard before. I'll keep trying though because I'm sure I'll find a good one like you did!

Back
Top Bottom