Newbie - first interesting find

sdsd110

Hello,
First post as I'm new to the forum. Got an AT Pro last year to get started with. I'm in the Chicago area, only metal detecting friendly city I found is Rockford. Went detecting twice last year in Rockford...and got enough pocket change to buy a candy bar.

Went out first time this year, and I found a time capsule. Didn't know what it was at first so I was a little anxious when I opened it and started seeing all the personal stuff. After drying out the folded papers in a small metal box I was able to read the time capsule story. Now that I know what it is, I will repackage the stuff in a more water tight bag and go bury it back where I found it.

Attachments

• IMAG24602.jpg
    IMAG24602.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 566
Three High School girls buried it in 2005. Typical stuff inside, nail polish, small toys, personal keepsake trinkets, etc. Their notes were interesting, one put her HS ID in there. Unfortunately they buried it in a thin plastic bag near a creek so it was water logged. Didn't know what to expect when I first opened it, something bad, something good. As I said, now that I know what it is I'll repackage it air tight and put it back where I found it.

:fmdfwelcome: Thanks for joining us! Since I started detecting, I've always thought it would be fun to find a time capsule. Congrats on the interesting recovery!

Time capsule is a bucket lister, for sure. (Even a fairly recently one.)

You should add a small note about you finding it, and how, and that you reburied it.

:fmdfwelcome:... from the Land of 10,000 Lakes - Minnesota! :grin: We're glad that you have joined us. Happy hunting! :mder:

That is such a cool find! :cool3:

If I did this, it's likely I would forget and dig it up again about a month later :-D

Hello,
First post as I'm new to the forum. Got an AT Pro last year to get started with. I'm in the Chicago area, only metal detecting friendly city I found is Rockford. Went detecting twice last year in Rockford...and got enough pocket change to buy a candy bar.

Went out first time this year, and I found a time capsule. Didn't know what it was at first so I was a little anxious when I opened it and started seeing all the personal stuff. After drying out the folded papers in a small metal box I was able to read the time capsule story. Now that I know what it is, I will repackage the stuff in a more water tight bag and go bury it back where I found it.

You should add something really fun to the box, for whomever digs it up in the future. Some quarters from this year, for example. LOL

Skippy

Make sure to include a note letting them know that you found it and took the care to bury it back. Maybe include a trinket of your own. It would be kinda cool if the girls dug it up years later and read your note. That thing might be found a couple more time by other people.

I thought when I first started reading your post that you might have found a Geocache. There are hundreds of thousands of them hidden world wide. Welcome to the forum and this Hobby.

Welcome to the forum and a fun hobby. Congrats on a really interesting find! I imagine it rang up a weird tone/number and that at first when you saw the plastic you thought you had found garbage. Your persistence paid off!

Back
Top Bottom