1797 Draped Bust LC, 1876 Canadian LC, Relics

BB_in_Maine

Elite Member
Hey all - haven't posted in a while - been super busy with work and haven't been detecting as much... Finally got back into it with gusto in the last week or so and have made a couple dandy finds...

The 1876 Canadian LC was my first copper for over a month - it was in a spot I have been many times - not sure how I missed it. It is very fragile and started to crumble so I had to photograph it in a coin sleeve. I brought it home in the dirt I found it in - that first photo it what it looked like before I cleaned and ID'ed it. The back leaf design is such a gorgeous pattern - what a handsome coin.

I have had insane luck with bells this year - about 10 crotal bells and over half a dozen standard bells as well, and many of them are really beautiful - here's the most recent digs...

Buttons, buttons - just a few of the many - a big dandy, a sweet gilded, a little tombac cuff, and a GAR (Grand Army of the Republic) 2-piece.

My first skeleton key! Super stoked on this find - what a nice piece in great shape...

And best for last....*drumroll* Today I was out in a new area WAY out in the middle of nowhere where I had been told there was an old 1805 site... Long story short, I got lost, got even more lost, happened onto a road, headed down it, and ran into the site. At that point it was 7:30 pm and almost dark - cranked up the headlamps and hunted back in there till 9:15 - only found one flat button and an axe head... So I headed out on the road, not knowing where it would come out... Well, about a half mile from the site I found this copper in a very wet, clay filled section of the road... Knew it had to be old, but it wasn't till I got it home, cleaned it, and let it dry that the date emerged, and then just enough faint outline to see what it was... She's a beater, but yes indeedy, it sure looks like a 1797 Draped Bust LC (Ironpatch if you disagree with this ID please let me know!) It's my first Draped Bust, and my new oldest American coin... I have been wanting one of these so bad, can't even tell you how thrilled I am... YES!!!!!

This makes all those mosquito bitten, skunked out, didn't find a damned thing hunts worth it!!!!

Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting, BB

Attachments

• 0002__DSC1639.jpg
    0002__DSC1639.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 259
  • _DSC1686.jpg
    _DSC1686.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 265
  • _DSC1688.jpg
    _DSC1688.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 262
  • _DSC1679.jpg
    _DSC1679.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 260
  • _BSB1936.jpg
    _BSB1936.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 264
  • _BSB1939.jpg
    _BSB1939.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 265
  • _DSC1675.jpg
    _DSC1675.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 265
  • _DSC1678.jpg
    _DSC1678.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 263
Not bad at all. You were lucky that the date was still visible.

Yes, pretty amazing. You can see that the patina clung to the areas with sharp detail contrast, the date, the knot of hair on the back of her head, around her nose, the swoop of the bust above the date, and the fragments above her head where 'Liberty' would have been. It's so close to obliterated I didn't think I would get anything at all. Figured maybe it was a KG II or III that I would never get to date. Other interesting thing is that there is a depression right in the center of the coin that looks like a crude counterstamp - I haven't dug the grit out of it to try and figure out if it's a readble stamp... Toasted or not, I am overjoyed with this coin. Next up... Draped bust silver???? ;)

Back
Top Bottom