Daytona and Ormond Beach, FL

DaviDs

Forum Supporter
It's been a while so I went there today. As I walked on the beach, I counted 6 guys detecting in a 300 yd area. During the next 30 mins, 2 more folks with detector joined the pack.

Kinda wondered if I stumbled on something big...like gold was discovered and I just so happen to be in the right place at the right time. Lol

Went to another area about two miles away and same thing, 4 folks hunting in one little area.

This is hunting in FL.....Welcome to Florida!

Attachments

• dbc.jpg
    dbc.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,634
  • dbc2.jpg
    dbc2.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 1,594
Last edited:
Interesting. I hope you still find some good stuff. :detector: I've never came across another detectorist while detecting, other than a few who said they have one, or had one when they were a kid. :mder:

Same thing where I am in Asia. The beaches tend to be small roped/fenced in spots. Multiple hunters day and night.

Hunters do tend to repeat hunt an area that has given them gold. It can be a seasonal thing or conditions the way the current or long shore dirfts that can open up more often than the rest of the beach. I find all beaches tend to have THOSE areas that produce. You can get a lot of company especially this time of year when recent drops tend to be slim pickens.

I was down there in front of the Hilton a few days ago and got a junk ring and a few coins :) No targets in the water though.

...I've never came across another detectorist while detecting,... :mder:
Where are you at?

Same thing where I am in Asia. The beaches tend to be small roped/fenced in spots. Multiple hunters day and night.
I've seen your gold posts though, you won't get any sympathy from me. :p :laughing:

It can be a seasonal thing...You can get a lot of company especially this time of year when recent drops tend to be slim pickens.
Yup, snowbirds. lol

I feel your pain! :blink:
Ugh, sooo agrivating....especially when the parking lot is filled with snowbird plates, lol

I was down there in front of the Hilton a few days ago and got a junk ring and a few coins :) No targets in the water though.
Same here =) , CTX said most targets were buried 12+ inches. I tried to water hunt but didn't have my small coil. Surf was rough and I had a difficult time trying to dig with the 17".

Wow I'm going to be in Ocala the end of this week for a few days.. was thinking of taking the detector and heading over toward Daytona... don't know now. if anyone has recommended area let me know.

was up that way on sat afternoon,didnt see any others where i was but usually run into at least 3 or more mders on any given day. hardly any targets lately.. sand sand sand

Hunters do tend to repeat hunt an area that has given them gold. It can be a seasonal thing or conditions the way the current or long shore dirfts that can open up more often than the rest of the beach. I find all beaches tend to have THOSE areas that produce. You can get a lot of company especially this time of year when recent drops tend to be slim pickens.

There area areas that tend to produce gold often. But it totally depends on the beach conditions made up of tide, currents and winds. A normally productive area can produce nothing but light junk items like pop tops, bottle caps, fishing tackel (not lead weights) when a beach is sanded in. A beach can be sanded in in a matter of hours or a few days. This sand can be 2-3 deep putting all the heavy items out of reach. When that same beach under certain condition and is eroding and you start finding lead weights, corroded quarters and other heavy items then stay in that area and hunt it carefully. Of course I am talking only about the lower beach (wet areas) not the upper beach, dry sand. Another hint is your foot prints leave deep depressions in the sand/water mixture. The pros on the beach know exactly when and where to find these spots and rarely waste time hunting any other areas.

go anyway - don't worry about others

Wow I'm going to be in Ocala the end of this week for a few days.. was thinking of taking the detector and heading over toward Daytona... don't know now. if anyone has recommended area let me know.

you should go anyway. don't let the the fact that their are other MD'ers on the beach. Quite frankly, 3/4's of the guys I see on the beach don't really know what they are doing in terms of beach hunting. Most seem like they just got their metal detector last week. Go and enjoy it is a big beach. Tip - spend as much time as you can on the lower beach (wet sand) and in the water wading up to your knees and maybe a couple of hours on the towel line in the late afternoon. Dig everything! and have fun!

I live in Ormond Beach and spend a fair amount of time on beaches there and down to Daytona. Pretty slim pickings. I try and go only at low tide so I can hunt where folks were swimming when the tide was up. Again, pretty slim, but I keep going back. I went after one July 4 and found a few sparklers, idiots.

Back
Top Bottom