Silver coins per hunt

longbow62

Forum Supporter
I need to up my silver finds this year. I have only been finding like 30 a year. I will say very few come from door knocks. Very few even come from yards. This is mainly for those finding over a 100 or more silver coins a year. I'm wanting to to know the following:

1. How many yards do you hit a year?
2. Average silvers per yard?
3. Do you worry about how old the silver is your finding, meaning as long as your finding silver your happy or do you try to concentrate on say the oldest places you can find?
4. Do you just pick a street and knock on every door possible or do you find most of your silver from getting permissions from people you actually know.
5. How far do you drive per outing as in do you purposely say I'm going to try this town next?

Last edited:
Well you did a little bit better this past year than i did. I found the grand total of ZERO silver coins and Zero gold items. Even clad finds were drastically reduced due to island beach towns restricting the number of potential donors.

Well I only found 60 silvers last year so I don't really qualify[emoji16]

But here is my breakdown anyway. I hunt a pretty even mix of yards and parks or public areas. And I find a pretty even amount from both areas. Pastor Bob and I hunt together quite a bit. We hunt some parks as well as field sites where churches or schools once stood. We mostly door knock in small towns. Generally look for turn of the century or older homes. If someone is obviously home and the yard is good size we knock even if it's newer home but obviously still silver era. Silver finds in yards varies a lot. Generally if the yard has never been hunted we will find at least one or two silvers. The most we have found is probably 7 or 8 silvers in one yard. I have seen others pull 20 or 30 from a large yard though so you just never know. We probably hit around 15 yards last year. Knocked on at least twice that. It can be hard to find folks at home or get them to answer the door. We might hit several houses on a street especially if we have luck at one house on the street. We generally stay within a 2 hour radius of our home town but we have some road trips planned in the future. From what I have seen many of those who find 200+ silvers a year do a lot of door knocking or other private property hunting. Will be curious to read other replies from some of the other members.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Zero private permissions...none
Ball fields
Fairgrounds
Parks
89 in 2020
100+ previous 3 years
FBS+big coil
Hunt deep
1-4 per hunt

Well I only found 60 silvers last year so I don't really qualify[emoji16]

But here is my breakdown anyway. I hunt a pretty even mix of yards and parks or public areas. And I find a pretty even amount from both areas. Pastor Bob and I hunt together quite a bit. We hunt some parks as well as field sites where churches or schools once stood. We mostly door knock in small towns. Generally look for turn of the century or older homes. If someone is obviously home and the yard is good size we knock even if it's newer home but obviously still silver era. Silver finds in yards varies a lot. Generally if the yard has never been hunted we will find at least one or two silvers. The most we have found is probably 7 or 8 silvers in one yard. I have seen others pull 20 or 30 from a large yard though so you just never know. We probably hit around 15 yards last year. Knocked on at least twice that. It can be hard to find folks at home or get them to answer the door. We might hit several houses on a street especially if we have luck at one house on the street. We generally stay within a 2 hour radius of our home town but we have some road trips planned in the future. From what I have seen many of those who find 200+ silvers a year do a lot of door knocking or other private property hunting. Will be curious to read other replies from some of the other members.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I think I need to start doing more door knocking and traveling. I do detect a lot. I work 40 hours a week so it's mainly weekends. I also live in an area that has a relatively low population. Silver coins are hard to come by here. The only plus is not having much competition for them. I've got three buddies I hunt with a lot and I think we are pretty much it.

Yards aren’t all they’re cracked up to be. I’ve hit mostly rural yards and three of four are a bust. You want city yards, they had the money.

I've hit over 100 silvers for the past 3-4 years, all but maybe half a dozen came from public property. Mostly wooded areas around parks. I struggle to find a wheat at most of my spots now though :laughing: most of my parks were established just after 1900, so alot of my silver is barber era. I fortunately work in a city that always had a decent population, so I can hit 2 birds with one stone. Go to work, and get the goods after. I work about 45 mins from home, so it's not exactly close. Cities are where most of my silver comes from though, hands down.

I've detected for 4 years now with my AT Pro. So far, am thankful for the fact that I've averaged over 200 silvers for each of those 4 years. I very rarely do parks, schools, fairgrounds, playfields. I've found ONE silver in a local park, my oldest, a 1841 Seated Liberty Dime, very well worn. I have no idea how it ended up there as the park only goes back to the 1950's.

My silvers come from curb strips and private front yard permissions. I probably do over 100 front yards each year, and about 50 blocks of curb strips each year. I am in Montana, so we can only detect about 9 months out of the year, with about 3 months of too cold or frozen ground.

I typically detect within 1 hour of home, though I do enjoy a "road trip" to other Montana towns that have produced a lot of silver coins.

I am happy with ANY silver coin, even finding just one makes it a successful hunt. And as others have said many times, location is the key. I target late 1940's homes and older. It seems that homes from the 1920's to about 1950 have the most silvers in the yard.

Good luck this year on your finding more silvers!

I’m a park guy I usually get 4 to 5 a hunt. Would like to do some door knocking but with this covid going around not sure how people would act with me knocking on the door. Lol.

I've got 10 days till my 1 year anniversary of starting this hobby and I have found exactly 1 silver coin, a 1944 Merc. I guess I just don't hunt the kind of places that have silver. I'm mostly in the woods looking for Civil War or Colonial areas.

I would also like to add I’m not a vdi guy I’m a listener. I listen for those deep whispers the ones you can almost hear. I would say 3 out of ten is usually silver. The other 7 deep nails I hope this help you find more silver.

When you live in a town with a total of 2 parks old enough for silver I'm shall we say limited. Is there silver left? Yes masked and very deep. In 6 hunts at those parks in the about the last month 3 Mercs is all. Very tough signals too. My out of town Park has officially dried up. Last two hunts super deep Wheats and nickels only.

I would also like to add I’m not a vdi guy I’m a listener. I listen for those deep whispers the ones you can almost hear. I would say 3 out of ten is usually silver. The other 7 deep nails I hope this help you find more silver.

^^^^^^ THIS is how you go DEEP and get the coins at the very edge of detection. Good post!

^^^^^^ THIS is how you go DEEP and get the coins at the very edge of detection. Good post!

The only reason I'm not digging more is the silver left is 9"-10" deep. There is a bunch of deep nails and I'd rather not dig that many holes on iffy's. They've recently installed cameras in this park and I'd like to keep the disturbance to a minimum. You pop a 12" wide plug 9"-10" deep and it looks like your digging the place up. I've got some looks before.

The only reason I'm not digging more is the silver left is 9"-10" deep. There is a bunch of deep nails and I'd rather not dig that many holes on iffy's. They've recently installed cameras in this park and I'd like to keep the disturbance to a minimum. You pop a 12" wide plug 9"-10" deep and it looks like your digging the place up. I've got some looks before.

That’s just using good sense in a particular situation, it’s good that you do! We don’t have cameras in parks here in southern WI, but we obviously still have to choose those deep battles wisely. If the signal has NOTHING telling me it MIGHT be a coin...no go. I certainly won’t dig every deep “any-signal”. It has to have SOMETHING to start with, starting with REPEATABILITY and PINPOINTING in the EXACT same spot as where the signal is coming from.
And...a 12” wide plug is not necessary under ANY circumstance...

That’s just using good sense in a particular situation, it’s good that you do! We don’t have cameras in parks here in southern WI, but we obviously still have to choose those deep battles wisely. If the signal has NOTHING telling me it MIGHT be a coin...no go. I certainly won’t dig every deep “any-signal”. It has to have SOMETHING to start with, starting with REPEATABILITY and PINPOINTING in the EXACT same spot as where the signal is coming from.
And...a 12” wide plug is not necessary under ANY circumstance...

12" might have been a slight exaggeration, but if I'm digging a 10" deep target the top of the plug is about dinner plate size most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom