which model is currently selling the best?

At the risk of jumping in this (oddly) emotionally charged topic.... wouldn't a Bounty Hunter or Garrett Ace series be the best selling metal detector? While the Equinox is definitely the hot detector being discussed on forums and sold by knowledgeable vendors there are big box stores all across the country selling BH and Ace model detectors. I would think their sales would far outnumber Equinox in total sales due to low prices and availability to the masses.

The original poster asked what detector is selling the most.
At pro used to be my best seller but know I sell 29 EQ for every one Atpro.
I’ll sell any detector it’s my job but the EQ has been a real easy sell here in FL. Seems it’s salt water performance is a important selling point.
HH, Phil

Thanks for the info

Last edited:
A $649 detector that works excellent in brackish/saltwater is a major selling point.

You are welcome.
The salt water capability of the Nox models accompanied by high coastal population as well as tourist that visit, makes EQX models hard to compete with sales numbers wise. Pure common sense here.

Think about this.
Even if inland detectorist, let’s presume At Pro/At Max were dead even with EQX model sales. This if it were true would still mean EQX leads by a MILE in sales nation wide in USA.
And look at other countries.
Their biggest populations for the most part are where?
On the coastal areas just like USA.

EQX models might even break records for mid priced detector models sold worldly. May already have. For say first 2 years they were available.
Maybe the dropping out of the airplane worked. :lol:
Minelab knew good and well what they had before they dropped it out of plane.
Why they did it.

don't disagree, however,the 'turks" will have a "multi-freak" product before too long and "smart money" says it will be the 'simplex"..hot damn the 12khz simplex isn't even out yet, and i know they will follow with the 'multi-freak!"..the 'turks" build quality in the simplex" is superior to the nox.in my view!..i'm just sayin'
(h.h.!)
j.t.

The OP asks which detector is selling the best. There is no way to know for sure which brand or particular detector is selling the best unless we have privy to every company's sales figures. The rest is conjecture.

Wood-butcher, here's your mistake : You haven't acknowledged that the Nox 800 cures cancer. You haven't acknowledged that the 800 (assuming in the hands-of-equally proficient/experienced users) won't "spank everything else.".

And your lack of acknowledgement of these "facts" (that we assume out-the-starting-gate) means you are : Mean-spirited, argumentative, "have a grudge", are "critical", etc..... Right ?

Notice if you'd have come to the opposite conclusion, then presto, you'd have been granted these labels : Nice spirited, conciliatory/correct , no grudges, and open-minded.

So it's not a question of your test data. Instead, it's a question/accusation of your biases, mean-ness, etc.... So you need to repent and get on-board. Otherwise .... you have nothing to say to this conversation. Eh ?

I hope everyone knows this is tongue in cheek. To see how "labels" get bandied about. Labels that simply "assume someone's point-of-view, from the git-go, as proof-of-it".

I don't doubt that the Nox is a good machine. But when the proponents started rolling out the posts (starting with the introduction 1 to 2 yrs. ago) that it "spanked all others", then .... how can you blame someone for desiring to un-ravel the claims ? I mean, gee, which one of us DOESN'T want the "best mousetrap" ? And if you fail to come up with the proponent's data, are you *automatically* smeered with all the labels ?

Sheesk guys, stop with the names. MD'ing forums are for the EXPRESS purpose of comparing new tech, testing, etc.... It doesn't mean that someone who comes to a diverse opinion "has a grudge", etc....

Wood-butcher, here's your mistake : You haven't acknowledged that the Nox 800 cures cancer. You haven't acknowledged that the 800 (assuming in the hands-of-equally proficient/experienced users) won't "spank everything else.".

And your lack of acknowledgement of these "facts" (that we assume out-the-starting-gate) means you are : Mean-spirited, argumentative, "have a grudge", are "critical", etc..... Right ?

Notice if you'd have come to the opposite conclusion, then presto, you'd have been granted these labels : Nice spirited, conciliatory/correct , no grudges, and open-minded.

So it's not a question of your test data. Instead, it's a question/accusation of your biases, mean-ness, etc.... So you need to repent and get on-board. Otherwise .... you have nothing to say to this conversation. Eh ?

I hope everyone knows this is tongue in cheek. To see how "labels" get bandied about. Labels that simply "assume someone's point-of-view, from the git-go, as proof-of-it".

I don't doubt that the Nox is a good machine. But when the proponents started rolling out the posts (starting with the introduction 1 to 2 yrs. ago) that it "spanked all others", then .... how can you blame someone for desiring to un-ravel the claims ? I mean, gee, which one of us DOESN'T want the "best mousetrap" ? And if you fail to come up with the proponent's data, are you *automatically* smeered with all the labels ?

Sheesk guys, stop with the names. MD'ing forums are for the EXPRESS purpose of comparing new tech, testing, etc.... It doesn't mean that someone who comes to a diverse opinion "has a grudge", etc....

Tom,thanks for getting right to the root of the disagreements..I personally think it’s really kinda odd us being here debating what machine sold or sells more units..Actually I feel kinda stupid for putting myself in the middle of this debate,when I could care less who sold what.
.The explorer 2 is a fun machine,the double numbers,that nice deep tinkle sound on deep coins,just fun to get that all together in a hit and know what’s down there waiting.
Mx sport is also fun for me,the fact it tells you on the screen wether it’s a buckle,dime,penny or zinc is pretty cool and to me a lot of fun..
Although I’d like to bring back a pouch full of silver or gold every hunt it’s not about that for me .Getting out with the machine is where it’s at.
This thread and all the others about this magical machine are pretty much useless to me because I didn’t find the equinox to be a fun machine at all..but hey,if others do that’s great..Be Nice If everyone looked at it that way but I’m not thinking that’ll ver happen..Thanks again Tom for shedding light on the root of the problem with these threads..

Last edited:
I think maxkat is starting all these equinox threads sitting back at his computer to see how many feathers are getting ruffled having a cold beer laughing his a$$ off while waxing his 800:laughing: Go find something max and show us how great your machine is with some treasure.

I think maxkat is starting all these equinox threads sitting back at his computer to see how many feathers are getting ruffled having a cold beer laughing his a$$ off while waxing his 800:laughing: Go find something max and show us how great your machine is with some treasure.

Not to single any 1 person out.. but I've noticed a few have drunk the koolaid. .. and went back for 2nds. I see the name and I don't even need to read what he wrote because its about how great minelab is or how bad another company is compared to minelab. It's like theyve undergone a mild version of brain washing

Well I have been taken to the woodshed by Tom and others and probably for good reasons.

In a private message to Tom I ask the question "why do some members really seem to have a grudge against the Equinox?".

His private reply was stronger than this public post and I got the message.

Some people are just tired of the Equinox hype and I now get that too. I got caught up in the Equinox in Late Feb 2018 and while there was a 6 month waiting list, I got mine in 3 days on the advice from a salesman from a large metal detector dealer.

The first few months of using the 800 I questioned my purchase. It was not like the AT Pro which I used for 3 years and was more than comfortable with. Took me many months to get comfortable with the 800.

I guess when the hype is all about the machine that you just purchased, you may tend to have blinders on in regards of the hype. In fact the continued hype made me wonder why I didn't have the same 800 the others were talking about that was doing all those great things.

In the future I will try to be more careful about questioning anyone's motives on this forum and certainly understand that there are other makes and models that continue to perform for their owners. If I don't, then the members will continue to educate me out behind the woodshed.

tesoro "mojave!" buy it (if you can),use it,
like it, then "gloat" at how little "scratch" it costs!
use what ya brung!..happy hunting to all! i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Well I have been taken to the woodshed by Tom and others and probably for good reasons.

In a private message to Tom I ask the question "why do some members really seem to have a grudge against the Equinox?".

His private reply was stronger than this public post and I got the message.

Some people are just tired of the Equinox hype and I now get that too. I got caught up in the Equinox in Late Feb 2018 and while there was a 6 month waiting list, I got mine in 3 days on the advice from a salesman from a large metal detector dealer.

The first few months of using the 800 I questioned my purchase. It was not like the AT Pro which I used for 3 years and was more than comfortable with. Took me many months to get comfortable with the 800.

I guess when the hype is all about the machine that you just purchased, you may tend to have blinders on in regards of the hype. In fact the continued hype made me wonder why I didn't have the same 800 the others were talking about that was doing all those great things.

In the future I will try to be more careful about questioning anyone's motives on this forum and certainly understand that there are other makes and models that continue to perform for their owners. If I don't, then the members will continue to educate me out behind the woodshed.

Maxx, sorry that you have been castigated by so many regarding the Equinox. Seems to me that you have always been pretty even-handed with your posts. I find it curious that you haven't seen John in Edmonton behind the woodshed with you. Is it because he's Canadian or because he's always touting the AT? :cool: I'm as sick of the ATPro pushers as I am of the Equinox crowd. Really, I'm not that sick of either, everyone has an opinion.

What model gives the most performance and is most versatile for the buck paid?

Simple answer.

And loads of folks have caught on and are still catching on.

There were naysayers, even some of them have seen the light. That means something.

Would Minelab even before Nox debut, would they be considered a major detector manufacturer in the world?
And what did they do with EQX?
Dropped it out of a plane at Detectival ?
Why?
They had made other models previously p, right?
They didn’t drop any of them out of a plane at detector/ detecting event?

There will always be naysayers or Minelab haters.
Myself, I could care less.
Folks can:
Buy what they want.
Use what they want.

Minelab looks to be here for a while in USA at least.
Get use to it.

Cheers.
Happy detecting.

Well,I was just thinking about the original post here,what machine is currently selling the most..Some folks have gone and made this a equinox thread,about personal perception on performance.
I’m sure there’s a thread somewhere about that,but this is a all machines made best seller I thought? I can remember just a year ago when the equinox came out,couldn’t get a 800 and if you did they were going for a thousand bucks on eBay,.. Now I see them in the classifieds just sitting,not being sold for $700,still new barely out of the box:
Best selling machine today? That's anyone's uneducated guess.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom