Diamond Ring -- or Not -- Help...

DoctorWhy

Not with hopes too high, but always hopeful...

Found this ring on a new permission on an 1830's homesite field. It was near the base of the largest old apple tree I've ever encountered. The ring is clearly marked "STERLING" and was probably lost due to a split in the ring at the thinnest part of the band. The ring has a delicate, open filigree around the stone mount. The stone (diamond? other gemstone? glass?) looks like it is "miner" cut and shows a bit of wear on the sharp edges of the facets.

So, do I have a nice old 'glass' ring or a 'diamond in the rough'?

Help? Suggestions?

Happy Hunting!
--Bert

Attachments

• SterlingRingWithStone.jpg
    SterlingRingWithStone.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 287
100% for sure NOT a diamond..

If it was a diamond, the corners of the facets would still be crispy sharp, diamonds don't get scratches or chips of any type..

Also it would be held into the setting with more than those three tiny psudo barbs..

Still a cool old silver ring, congrats!!

<°)))>{

100% for sure NOT a diamond..

If it was a diamond, the corners of the facets would still be crispy sharp, diamonds don't get scratches or chips of any type..

Also it would be held into the setting with more than those three tiny psudo barbs..

Still a cool old silver ring, congrats!!

<°)))>{

Ice Scratcher,
You may be very right about the scratches on the stone indicating that it is not actually a diamond. But, what you are seeing as 'psudo barbs' are actually accidental nicks or gouges in what is called a 'bezel mount', as shown in the attached example image.
I just may have to visit a local jeweler to learn more...
Best,
--Bert

Attachments

• bezelringmount.jpeg
    bezelringmount.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 214
Ice Scratcher,
You may be very right about the scratches on the stone indicating that it is not actually a diamond. But, what you are seeing as 'psudo barbs' are actually accidental nicks or gouges in what is called a 'bezel mount', as shown in the attached example image.
I just may have to visit a local jeweler to learn more...
Best,
--Bert

Not sure. Those "barbs" may have been intentionally made by the maker to hold a loose fitting stone stay put.

Keep us updated!

They do look like they are equally spaced and purpose made.

Cliff

Now that you mention the symmetry of the 'nicks' -- and all three 'nicks' are in the same circular direction...maybe it is a feature of that mount -- or a 'home-brew' attempt to tighten a loose setting...

I will certainly post once I find out more. Thanks to you and Ice Scratcher for your insights!

--Bert

I think that if you were to push those nicks back in place the glass would fall out. I don't think that bezel actually covers the glass, just provides a nesting place for it.
It is a very nice and old ring. I would imagine someone spent some time trying to find it when first discovered that it was missing.

It's probably some type of quartz. I remember finding a really nice ring like that once and a friend of mine whose a jeweler told me it was smoky quartz and not diamond. Here's a picture; it's not the best quality as it's from about 10 years ago

Attachments

• user18571_pic58939_1401892636.jpg
    user18571_pic58939_1401892636.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 186
Back
Top Bottom