Buying U.S. 90% Silver coins "?" Advice Please

moparguy

Hello All !

Seeking some advice Please ........ :D

I have a neighbor who have several rolls of circulated 90% Silver dimes and he

has asked me if I was interested in buying ? I said yes , I was interested but

needed to check what these were trading at ? I've looked on "Feebay" and

prices seem all over the place ? ..... I want to make him a fair offer as he has

always seemed to trust me. What amount in "Times / X face value" would you

consider to be fair ????? Silver closed today (3-22-18) at $16.50 Oz. Any & All

advice gratefully acknowledged ! :yes: THANK YOU !

Spot comes in at 12.28X face value so it depends on what kind of deal you guys agree on and all. I prefer to barter when possible on silver as to keep the fake bucks out of the deal if possible. ;) Good luck and hope both parties end up happy! HH!

The large silver coin sellers are asking about $12.40 per $1.00 face value on quantity. So $1.24 per dime. So a premium for small quantities might make a price of up to $1.50 each fair to both.

Anything around 10-12 X face would be reasonable to me, but one can have 90% constitutional silver shipped to their door for free today (Provident) for 12.3 x face.

You have plenty of time to buy, and you may want to wait for even lower prices. PM's have been stagnant for the last five years or so, as long as the dollar is king it will probably stay that way.

Last edited:
Anything around 10-12 X face would be reasonable to me,

Yep..thats what they have been trading for at the Coin Club meetings for about a year now...non numismatic silver Rosie dimes..about a buck per...Non key date Mercs at $1.25

Silver has to get closer to $20 and hang there for a while for the prices to advance...Or, something major comes along in a hurry...

I'd say that 11.5 times the face value would be a fair price. At that level he's getting more than if he sold to a dealer and you're getting the silver for a little less than you'd have to pay from a dealer. Both of you come out ahead.

There's a site at http://www.coinflation.com/silver_coin_values.html that tells the melt value of each U.S. silver coin, updated every time the price of silver changes on the spot market. For example, right now silver spot market is $16.50, up 14 cents, and a U.S. silver dime is worth $1.1935, quarter worth $2.9839, half at $5.9679, 40% half at $2.4402, silver dollar at $12.7619, Ike 40% dollar at $5.2178 and the Silver Eagle at $19.4835. Check out that site - also has Canadian silver, and if you look around on the site, gold coin melt value. Just show your friend the Coinflation site so he can see what actual silver value is of each coin and let him set the price, or at least he'll know where you got the price you are willing to pay.

Its hard to find anyone younger than 50 that even knows what a silver coin is...let alone try to sell them one...So...if you are selling, you are trying to find somebody who is a longtime Silverbug and they KNOW the daily...they dont typically pay spot..and a dealer for sure will not be anywhere close.....

In your case, a good friend, fair deal...is spot...of course we arent talking about a whole lot here, so pay him spot...The difference of dickering him down is not a whole lot...your straight across the board dealing with him as a friend is worth a whole lot more than a few dollars...Plus, I bet he could teach you some things about the Silver market and the History of Fiat money and all manner of interesting stuff..

I'd pay spot and maybe even a premium...ask for some stories..Well worth the outlay for a good story or two....You never know what old guys can teach you...very valuable Life Lessons and other things...Theres the treasure, not the dimes...

Last edited:
I use $ 12.50 - $ 13.00 per $ 1.00 Face as top end payout if you are looking to be really fair (deal with a friend). Then you are speculating on having something good date wise in the lot or silver rising. To profit, $ 10.00 - $ 11.00 per $ 1.00 Face is also fair if its all business.

I use this site. Put ALL the coins in and you will know the value as of TODAY. Price fluctuates all the time. if you want to make money you will have to give him a price he will accept and will leave you both as winners.

http://coinapps.com/silver/coin/calculator/

I gave my neighbor a price of 150.00 for 240.00 bullion value and he took it. He was happy and so was I. DO NOT look at the dates of each coin till after you get them is my advice.

There's a site at http://www.coinflation.com/silver_coin_values.html that tells the melt value of each U.S. silver coin, updated every time the price of silver changes on the spot market. For example, right now silver spot market is $16.50, up 14 cents, and a U.S. silver dime is worth $1.1935, quarter worth $2.9839, half at $5.9679, 40% half at $2.4402, silver dollar at $12.7619, Ike 40% dollar at $5.2178 and the Silver Eagle at $19.4835. Check out that site - also has Canadian silver, and if you look around on the site, gold coin melt value. Just show your friend the Coinflation site so he can see what actual silver value is of each coin and let him set the price, or at least he'll know where you got the price you are willing to pay.
I agree with all of that, but the melt value of a silver eagle is currently $16.54 (1 oz silver) not $19.48.

Thank you to all !

THANK YOU ! To everyone for their great input ! I really appreciate all

the "Links" to those various sites that make calculations extremely easy !

I'm going to go & talk with my friend / neighbor and see what we can put

together on his holdings this week-end ....... I'll let everyone know what

transpires .......... :yes:

I agree with all of that, but the melt value of a silver eagle is currently $16.54 (1 oz silver) not $19.48.

Yep. I'm upside down dyslexic on 6's. :)
And the Silver Eagle is not exactly 1 ounce of pure silver - it is 99.9% pure. So if spot is $16.53, the the Eagle is worth $16.5134. That's how that site figures it anyway.

Well , Spent about an hour going through everything he was offering and

I came up with ( What I thought ? ) was a VERY FAIR offer ( probably on the

high side ) and he replied that the Lady at the local "Antique Store" would

certainly offer more ........... I said no problem & wished him luck. :roll: I left

with a handshake and a thanked him for allowing me to look through his

'holdings' ........ Thank you to everyone who chimed in ! :yes:

Back
Top Bottom