Uncomfortable

bubbaron

Forum Supporter
Hi to all,
I put my new Nox 600 together yesterday while watching mother nature dump over 8" of that lovely white stuff here. I must say, I feel like a fish out of the water with this Nox 600. I am so used to being able to navigate and tweak my AT Pro but feel lost with this Nox. I am sure eventually, I will learn to make tweaks but right now am not feeling like I know what I'm doing. Please put up with my DUMB questions, just need some confidence. I am sure this will be a great machine for me. Good luck to all and stay warm. Have some snow to move today.
Bubbaron Nox 600, AT Pro, AT Carrot, Garrett 8" x 6" Coil

You will get it, I felt like that when I went from my Pro to the deus. Now the pro sounds foreign to me.

Hi to all,
I put my new Nox 600 together yesterday while watching mother nature dump over 8" of that lovely white stuff here. I must say, I feel like a fish out of the water with this Nox 600. I am so used to being able to navigate and tweak my AT Pro but feel lost with this Nox. I am sure eventually, I will learn to make tweaks but right now am not feeling like I know what I'm doing. Please put up with my DUMB questions, just need some confidence. I am sure this will be a great machine for me. Good luck to all and stay warm. Have some snow to move today.

I suggest downloading the user manual and printing it out. It's pretty long and uses lots of ink, but there's some pages that you won't need in order to learn how to operate it. Just read it over and over while trying out your new detector. You'll catch on quickly. It's really not that complicated. In fact you will find things just by following the quick start guide that comes in the box.

Hi to all,

You're not alone Bubba, I didn't grow up with computers and don't use them for work so I'm a bit tech challenged, My Nox should be coming in this week and I'm sure that I'll have 101 dumb questions too. The good news is that there's plenty of folks smarter than me using the Nox and should be pretty easy to get answers to any and all questions. Just one of the great things about this forum. I'm sure we will get it figured out.

I did download the manual from Minelab but it covers both the 600 and 800 machines. There are some differences and it gets confusing. By the way, my detector came with no manual. I suppose they are all this way ? You will have to download like I did to get a full blown manual. Why can't these companies put out a manual just for the machine you purchase instead of generic. I tried to set up my machine like I saw on a video. Could not do it, the video was for a 800. Oh well, I have 8"+ of snow to clean up so I will have some days to play with this Nox. Stay warm and don't eat any yellow snow.

I did download the manual from Minelab but it covers both the 600 and 800 machines. There are some differences and it gets confusing. By the way, my detector came with no manual. I suppose they are all this way ? You will have to download like I did to get a full blown manual. Why can't these companies put out a manual just for the machine you purchase instead of generic. I tried to set up my machine like I saw on a video. Could not do it, the video was for a 800. Oh well, I have 8"+ of snow to clean up so I will have some days to play with this Nox. Stay warm and don't eat any yellow snow.

Yeah, I want a printed manual too. I guess I'll have to just print it out. And it is confusing not to have a manual just for the 600. It obviously is not in order to save printing cost of printing two manuals - one for 800 and one for 600, since they apparently didn't print ANY manuals.

I figured out the ATPro quicker than I thought I would, but all the talk of different settings and programs has me wondering if I want to mess with all that or just turn on the pro and go. I just wander the park for clad and not sure if a better machine would improve my finds or not.

That seems to be the new trend when buying new tech. They don't come with printed manuals, but give you the link to an online manual. Not that big of a deal, but it's nice for me to have reference material I can read when I'm away from the computer. Such as being in the field and you need some on the spot information. Real handy to just pull out the manual and look up what you are having trouble with.;)

NO Manual

I totally agree with all the comments on this post. I don't mind downloading the manual. What I do mind is the fact that's it's for both 600-800 and there are some differences. I want a manual just for the Nox 600. Am I asking for too much ?? This is my first Minelab detector so we shall see when I get to use it how it stacks up against my AT Pro for my dirt digging and jewelry hunting. I must say that the AT Pro has done very well for me. Granted, a lot of my finds are clad coins but most of the sites I am presently hunting are clad city. I have found 4 rings, 2 gold and 2 silver. I also has some IHP, silver dimes, both Rosies and Mercs and Wheaties. I only started this hobby last year in Sept. so I think I have done well to this point. Oh well, I took care of my snow on my smaller driveway and waiting for my plow guy to do the larger driveway. The state plows both in up to my hips with all that heavy salty snow.
I need to get out and hunt, might be a while because we had 8+ inchs of that glorious white stuff. Good luck to all.
Bubbaron Nox 600, AT PRO, AT Carrot Pin Pointer, 8" x 6" Garrett Coil

More and more companies are going to electronic manuals. There are good reasons.
1. It allows for instant changes to the manual and new functions when added, without having to re-print for existing customers.
2. The Equinox will eventually be able to accept firmware/software upgrades via computer, and that will need whole new chapters and updates to the manual.
3. Saves printing costs by the manufacturer. That means equipment, labor, and other overhead. Allows for lower prices to the end-user.
4. Environmentally sound decision. Trees and consumables.
5. Allows for people to download and read the manual prior to purchasing or decision making.
6. It is 2018, not 1960! Get used to it!

A printed manual would be nice to have. The AT PRO don't really have many settings to change compared with most detectors.
The start up guide lacks lots of information that the manual has.

No worries bubbaron. You will get it in no time. Download the manual and all you really need to print is about 18-20 pages. The only difference are the "advanced settings" section which applies to the 800.

The manual is extremely clear and easy to understand. You can use multiple combinations on your settings but I find that all you really need to do is turn it on, noise cancel, ground balance and go. I played with all modes to get use to the variations of settings but on my 1st time out I stayed primarily in "park 2" mode.

Use the factory preset modes and toggle back and forth between tones and frequency to see what you like to hear. Unlike Minelabs other FBS machines, you don't have to worry much about settings.

Adjusting sensitivity is real easy to use. Simply press on the up & down buttons and watch it scale up and down. This is probably the area where I made adjustments depending on how many targets were in the ground and their depth.

I also think the default discrimination settings are good to go too. But if you want to disc out a certain target then block it out.

You will get it sooner than you think.

Good luck and HH.

Printed manuals cost money to print. Every piece of electronics equipment, tv, camera, gps etc that i have purchased in the past three years have not come with a manual. Its just the latest trend.

Back
Top Bottom