Detecting in rocky terrain

NEA Farmer

Got to hang out with friends the past few days. He loves in the Boston Mountian region in Arkansas. Let’s just say it’s a workout to dig beyond an inch. Ended up with a little over a dollar in clad and some junk. Anyone have any tricks to digging in rocks? I must say the Fiskar Hori Hori held up nicely.

Last edited:
I have been cleaning the pennies and pull tabs out of my gravel driveway with a hammer and screwdriver. If I'm close on the pinpointing and guessing depth I can drive the screwdriver in at a slight angle smack it back and out pops the coin. I use the Treasure Wise knife when I'm in rocky areas. I haven't resorted to beating it with a hammer yet, but the skinnier, thicker blade is better at prying rocks out than the bigger diggers.

TW-knife-and-sheath-1024x1024.jpg

Yep..screwdrivers actually work really well in hardpack gravel parking lots or clay/chert type of dirt..you can just poke and stab your way right through it, easily .......unlike with any kind of shovel....

FWIW, the toughest by far for digging out a target is frozen wood chip totlots.:mad: ..A guy has to stab many holes around the target to get under the frost, then pop out the whole frozen plug, then stomp on it and grind it to get out the item...takes a long time...like stabbing through 2" of OSB...

Yep..screwdrivers actually work really well in hardpack gravel parking lots or clay/chert type of dirt..you can just poke and stab your way right through it, easily .......unlike with any kind of shovel....

FWIW, the toughest by far for digging out a target is frozen wood chip totlots.:mad: ..A guy has to stab many holes around the target to get under the frost, then pop out the whole frozen plug, then stomp on it and grind it to get out the item...takes a long time...like stabbing through 2" of OSB...
Oh man you nailed it. Frozen tot lot wood chips is maddening for sure. But a good old Stanley screw driver works real well to break up the surface. I retired from an OSB mill and I know what you mean.:shock::laughing:

I use a screwdriver as well to just try pop the item to the surface if it is just a couple of inches. Otherwise, I use the screwdriver to loosen the soil and rocks up some so I can then use a trowel to remove the dirt from the hole.

Not to sure I would do this hobby if I had to use a pick. I believe i heard someone makes a pick type for use on rivers, maybe someone knows who this is?

Ray

Learned a long time ago up here in the Boston mountains the only thing gonna go through those rocks is a thin blade or a small pick. I’ll bring a shovel but also carry my small blade digging tool to get through the million rocks in every hole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

does the rocky soil keep most finds shallow or do they still sink quite a bit?

Ray

I’ve had them vary. Some bullets I’ve found have been right on the top and then found a shotgun shell buried 8 inches down. Guess it all depends on erosion or other factors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have found that a gravel parking area really makes the coins go deep as it is constantly being moved around. On the other hand the rocky or gravely areas that don't get disturbed I have found old coins laying right on top, out in the open. Also frost heave plays a big factor in this as well.

Back
Top Bottom