Accidental find with Pro-Pointer AT, personal best!

XofRaR

My sons and I are staying the weekend at my Grandma's to try and get a handle on her wild hog problem. So far, the hogs have been a no-show, so I decided to get a quick hunt in this evening at an old homeplace on the adjacent property. I've probably hunted that place 100 times over the years and eventually stopped hunting it due to finding less and less, but figured that since the hogs have been digging some pretty deep holes over there that it was worth a look. I got a hit by the the first hole I came to in a spot that used to be a thicket before the hogs got a hold to it and ended up finding what looked like a hog ring from one of the ferals. When I tried to stand up, I nearly fell in the hog hole. The Infinium flew one way and the Pro-Pointer flew the other as I tried (and failed) to catch myself. As the dust began to settle I noticed the Pro-Pointer was chirping but I couldn't see where it landed. I tracked it down and found it beside an old fence post that was covered in vines and pine straw. As I scraped the pinestraw away from the post I realized I had found my coolest find ever, totally by accident, in a spot that I had pretty much given up on. I think we all know the moral. But I never really took it to heart until today.

Attachments

• 20180318_182049-800x600.jpg
    20180318_182049-800x600.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 439
  • 20180318_230417-800x680.jpg
    20180318_230417-800x680.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 359
  • 20180318_182104-800x600.jpg
    20180318_182104-800x600.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 359
Nice find make you a set of handles and set it in the yard.Here is one i done last year had to make the handles.

Attachments

• 001 (640x480).jpg
    001 (640x480).jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 308
nice i have only ever found parts of one. Cool finding the whole shabang

Cool find and great interesting post! I have wondered about the possibility of snaring wild hogs? I've trapped and snared a whole lot of animals in my time, just never had the opportunity to apply these skills on wild hogs...I believe a snare would be effective..hogs follow trails right?

Find a nice hog trail between their bedding area and the crops and set up a stretch of snares and catch multiples like a guy does on raccoons heading for a cornfield?? I know hogs are plenty strong...so a guy might want to foot snare them to take away a bit of their power? Maybe someday I'll get a chance to snare some hogs...I'd certainly enjoy the experience!

I can't believe it's been there all this time, just leaning against a post. I've been bumbling around on that property for over 30 years now and always avoided that little corner due to its snakey appearance.

As for the hogs, I borrowed a couple of 4x8 cage traps from a neighbor. They always seem to avoid them for a few days when I first put them out. About this time last year my Grandma had a guy come out and put 3 traps around the property. He caught 17 hogs the first night and 6 the next. It's mostly yearlings running around at this point.

Back
Top Bottom