Other hobbies or hobbies that didn't work out.

eicart0523

I'm a perpetual hobbyest. I've had various hobbies since I was a child. Many didn't work out. Now as an adult I'm finally finding hobbies that seem to be sticking.

The most notable hobbies that haven't worked out are post card collecting, match book cover collecting and playing the guitar.

The ones that seem to be sticking are drawing, detecting, and fountain pens.

What are some hobbies that did not stick and ones that have stuck?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

I come from a long line of "Hobby Hoppers" as my granny would say. I wouldn't say most didn't work out, but got bumped for the next cool hobby. Things that I've done for hobbies in the past often return, only to fade off to be rediscovered later.

In the past 10 years I've drag raced Oldsmobiles, restored and used HAM and CB radios, including building antennas. Building and racing high end RC cars and trucks, both off and on road. Drag racing slot cars, building gaming PCs for myself and others and PC gaming, restoring old speakers, Longbow archery (which I was a top state youth champion at), knife sharpening and collecting, coin collecting (which is really the only constant for 30 years now) and of course detecting, which has come and gone once, but I'm not selling my equipment again...

Cool thread. :aok: HH!

Hobbies that have stuck; Fishing, metal detecting so far, watching football smoking meats.

Hobbies that have not stuck; Golf, rock climbing, darts, pool, NASCAR, camping.

I would still do any of the above, but I don't go out of my way to do them.

BCD

:popcorn:Hobbies are great for the fact that a guy learns a lot of skills than translate over into Life! Its a shame a guy cant get paid for being a 'Professional Hobbiest' in most instances...

One cool hobby I've not yet attempted is 'Hobo Nickle carving' like our brother JB Express has done... On Topic, We have some amazingly skilled Members here, Masters of their chosen interest...Life is not long enough for a guy to master them all...its a great topic you brought up...

I have been an avid hobby wood worker for years before I retired and still now after retirement , my passion was building from scratch solid body electric guitars , even though due to shoulder injuries and nerve damage in my hands I no longer can play . I also delve into other areas of wood work , some turning/lathe work and have a pretty well equipped basement shop , CNC included . Metal detecting has been on my get into list for a while and I've finally gotten started down that path . Here's some pics of some of my wood work/creations .

Guitar bodies

ewod46k.jpg

eEeRXdu.png

Necks

YFU49Vn.jpg

Completed guitars

kI6TObw.jpg

xBgGrhU.jpg

s3hFK8R.jpg

Cutting Boards

kKQWZIu.jpg

iUzDi1f.jpg

Pens turned on my Lathe

hvvXT0i.jpg

9a0xGVP.jpg

Z6NUE2h.jpg

Just a few of the things that keep me outta trouble , mostly winter month jobs , metal detecting will take up my time when its a bit more pleasant outdoors .

WOW! The guitars are over the top cool. Awesome craftsmanship for sure. Over the years I have had so many hobbies I feel I should have been put in a home for CHO (Chronic Hobby Overdose) The ones I threw against the wall and didn't stick were collecting hotwheels, upholstery, antique scales, fishing rod building, lure making, well you get the idea. Now it's gardening, detecting, fishing, coins, antique clock repair. I could go on but I'll spare ya the details.:laughing: The upside to all of these is you are learning something of value to you, and that's all that counts........right.;):D

Wow.....my wife’s favorite saying “Another hobby”.

I have dabbled in lots. Smoking meats, making pens on lathe and fountain pens all of which have “stuck”.

Those that didn’t last as long....photography, blacksmithing, and skiing. Metal detecting started years ago, went out a bit to beach and yards and now getting back into it.

Come on now, where are all the home brewers??? I've done my share of making my own beer for awhile, fell by the wayside with 4 kids but want to get back into it again.

WOW! The guitars are over the top cool. Awesome craftsmanship for sure. Over the years I have had so many hobbies I feel I should have been put in a home for CHO (Chronic Hobby Overdose) The ones I threw against the wall and didn't stick were collecting hotwheels, upholstery, antique scales, fishing rod building, lure making, well you get the idea. Now it's gardening, detecting, fishing, coins, antique clock repair. I could go on but I'll spare ya the details.:laughing: The upside to all of these is you are learning something of value to you, and that's all that counts........right.;):D

Thanks hoser . All labors of love . I've stuck with the woodwork over the years but have also abandoned past hobbies like building fish rods , fly tying , collecting knives , reloading ammo , and a lot of other things that I no longer do . Learning is always lots of fun .

Great skills there adirondak5, wow!

Thank you zeemang , appreciate it :grin:

I've gotten into many hobbies since I was a kid (hey wait, I still am a kid, at least my wife thinks so :lol:)

Anyhow, Some hobbies are more casual, occasional hobbies, ones you haven't given up on, but just not stuff you'd do every week.

Detecting, astronomy, rockhounding, fluorescent rocks, green screening, learning piano, guitar, harmonica, coin collecting, making funny time lapse videos, making virtual reality home videos, and likely others I can't think of right now.

.....and in case you haven't noticed one "hobby" I do is make creative funny edited photos on the forum, I find it fun and relaxing, sort of like how it feels doing a crossword puzzle :lol:

Some things I might do more often, others just once in a while when the mood hits me. But sometimes my hobby time is limited by everyday chores and projects and helping as a caregiver for my wife's 92 year old mom who has dementia, so it's not like I can usually spend hours at a time at hobby stuff, more like an entertaining diversion from the daily routine to have a little fun. (not complaining, just explaining :lol:)

Last edited:
LOL Sometimes I think I wrote the book on trying hobbies. There isn't a lot I haven't tried but then I'm a firm believer in "it's better to have tried it than never have experienced it at all".

Actually I only try the hobbies I think I'd enjoy and I either keep them active or put them on the back burner.

Number one hobby is without a doubt metal detecting. Close second is playing guitar and cars (classics and performance) and flying remote control (planes & drones).

I have been an avid hobby wood worker for years before I retired and still now after retirement , my passion was building from scratch solid body electric guitars , even though due to shoulder injuries and nerve damage in my hands I no longer can play . I also delve into other areas of wood work , some turning/lathe work and have a pretty well equipped basement shop , CNC included . Metal detecting has been on my get into list for a while and I've finally gotten started down that path . Here's some pics of some of my wood work/creations .

Guitar bodies

ewod46k.jpg

eEeRXdu.png

Necks

YFU49Vn.jpg

Completed guitars

kI6TObw.jpg

xBgGrhU.jpg

s3hFK8R.jpg

Cutting Boards

kKQWZIu.jpg

iUzDi1f.jpg

Pens turned on my Lathe

hvvXT0i.jpg

9a0xGVP.jpg

Z6NUE2h.jpg

Just a few of the things that keep me outta trouble , mostly winter month jobs , metal detecting will take up my time when its a bit more pleasant outdoors .

Wow! That's some really nice work there Adirondak5!
As a wood finisher for the past 25 years I am quite impressed with your finishes.
I don't often find hobbyists that can bring there finishes to that level.
You are quite talented, thanks for sharing!

Wow! That's some really nice work there Adirondak5!
As a wood finisher for the past 25 years I am quite impressed with your finishes.
I don't often find hobbyists that can bring there finishes to that level.
You are quite talented, thanks for sharing!

Thank you very much Ron , very kind of you :grin:

Wine making - I make it, but I don't drink it.
Smoking meats - tried it, couldn't keep the darn things lit :cool:

Gardening, like it!
Collecting 60's/70's cars.
Wood burning.
Cooking.

Hobbies that I keep over the years: firearm collecting-reloading-fishing-hunting-camping-motorcycle riding(dirt and street) -atv and utv riding.
Hobbies that I gave up on -collecting old fishing gear-bowling- guitar playing(I could make better music on those using them for boat paddles!):lol:

Hobbies I have stuck with- Hiking (since 2008), camping (2014), metal detecting (2007 although haven't been super into it since 2011), coin collecting (2009).

Mountain Biking, especially Fat Bikes
Darts
Trap Shooting
Fishing/Boats
Hunting
Air rifles

Just to name a few. I have too many and not enough time, need to hit the lottery now so I can retire.

Back
Top Bottom