• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

This research is like detective work!

Birddog1911

Checking out a couple of old properties in my area. It's kind of fun doing this, almost like being a detective!

Now, do I drive to the old owner's house, or send him a letter...?

Just my opinion but I prefer to ask in person, I think you will get more YES answers that way.

Just my opinion but I prefer to ask in person, I think you will get more YES answers that way.

That's what my thought is as well.

In the case of the 1st property I'm wanting to hunt, the owner lives in the next town, and according to information I found, 78 years old. I called the number, but it was disconnected. So, I guess a visit to the house would be in order.

Going to be far more difficult if he's deceased, and I have to try and figure out who now owns the land.

Checking out a couple of old properties in my area. It's kind of fun doing this, almost like being a detective!

Now, do I drive to the old owner's house, or send him a letter...?

It's funny, I really love the research aspect of this hobby already. I've got more places in mind for researching than I could ever hunt in my first season. Gonna pick out 1 or 2 that I think are most promising and go from there. A lot of my properties I have in mind are owned by people out of state. A letter might be my only chance, but maybe I can get a phone number.

That's what my thought is as well.

In the case of the 1st property I'm wanting to hunt, the owner lives in the next town, and according to information I found, 78 years old. I called the number, but it was disconnected. So, I guess a visit to the house would be in order.

Going to be far more difficult if he's deceased, and I have to try and figure out who now owns the land.

You might want to run his property thru the GIS system. The ownership might have changed if the phone is disconnected.

Sorry, I'm so new to this hobby, I do not know what the GIS system is. Thanks for the help, though.

Most all states now have the GIS system. In Google, just type in your county name and GIS System and with it, it is easy to look up the property owner. It is a map and you just click on the property and it will tell you the owner and how much acres are in the property. It has become relic hunters best friend.

Most all states now have the GIS system. In Google, just type in your county name and GIS System and with it, it is easy to look up the property owner. It is a map and you just click on the property and it will tell you the owner and how much acres are in the property. It has become relic hunters best friend.

Figured it out, thanks again!

I wish more towns in my area were on the GIS database. I live in a small rural part of the world where it seems like many towns resist technology and advancement. The town I live in uses it, and 1 town to the west, that's about it for a good 40 mile area.

I wish more towns in my area were on the GIS database. I live in a small rural part of the world where it seems like many towns resist technology and advancement. The town I live in uses it, and 1 town to the west, that's about it for a good 40 mile area.

We have the same problem here, but the state has stepped in and provided a GIS system if the county does not. Check at state level and maybe you will have some luck. Both TN and GA have the state GIS system available.

Yes. Because ask yourself: What do YOU do with junk mail from total strangers ? You throw it away, right ? And what do YOU do with phone calls from solicitors ? You hang up, right ?

Hence the best way is to "catch them on their front porch" so-to-speak.

Back
Top Bottom