? to ATP users...

wvdave107

Elite Member
Last couple of times of been out, to my trashy park, my detector wont stop chattering. Running in Pro Zero, Disc. at 35 and sensitivity down 1 or 2 from full. Also, I'm running my 5X8. Even on a good day I get tons of signals in this particular park...mostly pull tabs, bottle caps, etc...I've ground balanced multiple times in a clean spot, comes up 85-86. Also, adjusted sensitivity to check for differences...

Only been detecting since mid-July of this past year, so I'm still learning...

My question. With the ground saturated from all the rain lately, will that play with the conductivity of the soil enough to cause so much chatter with all the trash? I realize soil and moisture conditions will play a role, but this seems excessive. Never hunted when its been this wet before. Thanks for any input....HH

P.S. Seems to only be an issue in this park...

Do a little environmental study and see where the power lines are and have you changed pin pointers or cell phones recently. I had one case with mine where the arch support (metal ) in my boots caused problems. It could be that you have brought with you something that something with you that may be causing it. If that is not the case then just lower the sensitivity a bit more.

Common issue with the ATP when that happens is the coil connector has come loose a bit. Double check to make sure it’s fully seated and the ring is screwed down snug. Has happened to more than one person on here.

I get that at one park too and have narrowed it down to underground power lines. I had to adjust sensitivity to 2 bars to be able to detect.

BCD

As was said, inspect connections for looseness or damage, try a different area in case of EMI at that park, also remove coil cover and clean both the coil and cover, try a factory reset.

I agree it sounds like power lines. There are some underground near my back yard and I had same issue near them. That is only area I have had issues with ATP.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Found the answer

Hello again,
I checked my owners manual for the AT Pro and found the answer regarding frequency change. I never have had to do this but now I do see how it's done. Excuse my ignorance. Remember I am somewhat a newbie !!
Bubbaron

A frequency shift will make a noisy machine deathly quite

+1 also I didnt see you mention any ground balancing? Did you try a manual ground balance at all? I never had to change my frequency so I never learned how to switch it either, but if I recall, I think its written right on the faceplate...

Thanks for all the replies. All good advice. Never had much of an issue there with EMI. Could be a loose connector or something under the coil cover. I'll give the freq. change a try too. Thanks again for info...

Without actually seeing and hearing what its doing its hard to tell for sure. You could be getting some EM interference , so try each of the four frequency variations and see if there is any difference. If the trash is so thick that it signals like crazy just from that , reduce your sensitivity to where there is only one or two bars showing on the meter , this helps me in certain areas. Also try really short sweeps of the coil and from multiple directions , you have to wiggle the detection field " in between " targets as much as possible....listen for the good solid repeating tones peeking out from the rest. If all else fails , there are some areas where the trash is just too thick and you may be better off in a less trashy nearby area.

Thanks for all the replies. All good advice. Never had much of an issue there with EMI. Could be a loose connector or something under the coil cover. I'll give the freq. change a try too. Thanks again for info...

EMI can drive you nuts. One time I was getting heavy EMI at a place that I never get it. I couldn't figure it out. I tried everything I could think of and was starting to wonder if my machine needed service. After several minutes of frustation, I looked up and saw a truck on the street, a guy got out of the truck and lowered some sort of antenna and drove off. The EMI immediately stopped. Must of been a HAM radio or something, not sure.

Common issue with the ATP when that happens is the coil connector has come loose a bit. Double check to make sure it’s fully seated and the ring is screwed down snug. Has happened to more than one person on here.

+1

I recently got an AT Pro and I went out today and one area of my front yard was REALLY chattering....ground balanced and everything, but it was noisy for a specific area....went to a different area and it was fine, but tightened the connector (actually disconnected it and reconnected it) and it was much more quiet (although there's something there, but I was in dress pants and a tie so I didn't dig it)

+1

I recently got an AT Pro and I went out today and one area of my front yard was REALLY chattering....ground balanced and everything, but it was noisy for a specific area....went to a different area and it was fine, but tightened the connector (actually disconnected it and reconnected it) and it was much more quiet (although there's something there, but I was in dress pants and a tie so I didn't dig it)

Yeah, that waterproofing o-ring on the connector makes a lot of new owners think the connector is fully seated when it’s really just rubbing up against the o-ring. Slightly wiggling while pushing inward before screwing down the retaining ring will get it nice and snug. Glad you figured it out!

EMI Noise

Hello,
I am fairly new to metal detecting. I hunt a high school stadium that has underground electrical conduits. When I get to certain areas, I get a lot of chatter. I have tried changing frequency, resetting the machine, and ground balance. I plan on going back there today and I will try turning the sensitivity down much lower and hopefully this will help ??? This site is loaded with clad coins and I don't mind digging clads. I have no problems except in these certain areas so I am sure it's not my coil connection being loose. If this works, I will post a new message.
Bubbaron AT PRO and AT carrot pinpointer

Back
Top Bottom