• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

They Don't Write Like That Anymore

You're friends with Geoff Tate? Woah!

No, I'm friends with Geoff Harper, a bass player, not to be confused with Geoff Harper, the bass player on the west coast. My friend Geoff is a computer programmer, but plays jazz bass when a gig shows up. I think he pointed me to the saying in the jazz business that if more than 5 people like you, you're too commercial. :)

-- Tom

I got a rare Beatles album cover back in the first grade in the late '60s from my teacher who said her daughter was cleaning out her albums. Nobody wanted the Beatles so I got stuck with it:lol: Still have the album but my hamster chewed on the cover for a nest or something in the '70's:lol:

Is it the "Yesterday and Today" "Butcher" cover? I have one of those.

Is it the "Yesterday and Today" "Butcher" cover? I have one of those.

This one. Found a couple knock offs where there is no flap. Wrote my name on it long ago and my Hampster chewed it a new one. But I wouldn't part with it anyways:lol:

Attachments

• IMG_2825.jpg
    IMG_2825.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2828.jpg
    IMG_2828.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2829.jpg
    IMG_2829.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 62
Good deal Larry. The knockoff version "Songs and Pictures" (no "Stories") was everywhere back in the late 70s/early 80s. Your VJ original is not too often seen nowdays. I still have mine from when I was a kid, also most of the 45 picture sleeves.

One of my favorite singers died a couple of years ago, Ronnie James Dio. At least Bruce Dickinson (sp?) is still around.

RIP RJD - the one true metal god. Been a Dio fan since his Sabbath days. I was fortunate that I was able to see him not too long before he passed. It is amazing that he was able to keep his voice for so long. He was 67 and he still sound every bit as good as he did when he was much, much younger. I will add that I watch "Metal Mayhem" on Mtv Classic when I am home, they usually show a few Dio videos ("Last in Line", "Holy Diver", "Rainbow in the Dark", "Rock and Roll Children") and wow are they bad. I thought they were great back in the 80's but wow. In truth, most 80's metal videos are - bad.

Glad Bruce is still around too. He is my second favorite metal vocalist behind RJD. Geoff Tate was up there, but he ruined his instrument (Side note: RJD had a cameo on the Queensryche album "Operation: Mindcrime II". Nowhere close to as good as the first Mindcrime album due to Tate's broken voice and the band's loss of Chris DeGarmo). All that said, I an a huge Maiden fan.

As far as singers/songwriters, you really can't beat Billy Joel. The guy can write, play and sing. "Downeaster Alexa" and "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant" are big favorite of mine.

Rock music has been replaced by rap, hip-hop, and generic sounding junk music. I don't ever listen to music on the radio anymore. All my music listening is done on YouTube now.......
Give me some Emmylou Harris, Bob Seger, Tom Petty, Loreena McKennitt, R.E.M. John Mellencamp and a few others.

Back
Top Bottom