• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

House built in 1886 torn down EDIT Permission Granted!!!

Ohiodigger

Elite Member
So let me start by saying my town dates back to the early 1820s was incorporated in the mid 1800s, this house was built in 1886, and one time was a beauty.....it had been in bad shape for sometime and it was bought by a church that is adjacent to it, and they tore it down about a month ago. I hated to see it go, it could have been restored back to glory, it had 4 fireplaces in it! Also was a 2 story "servants house" directly behind it. Anyway it was bulldozed and the church is going to build a teen rec center this spring. I have permission from the church, it's right across the road from my house, to hunt their land.....already have, a lot of curb strip lol.... anyway this house was POUNDED for the last 30 years by my dad and the guy who lived there, he was also an avid detectorist, he told me he had hunted the yard so many times there were no signals left.....anyway the church has bulldozed the house and took about 3 to 4 inches of dirt off the top, would it be worth going in there now? Or would the nails and such from the demolition be to much to detect? My thinking is the 3 to 4 inches they took would have took most of the nails, plus it is 3 to 4 inches further down than was previously detected. I have no doubts I can get permission to detect it, the problem is it has been so cold, with snow and wind, and for the last week rain, I couldn't go if I had permission already. Any ideas? Thanks for any input!

The 1st pic is the house about 5 or 6 years ago......the 2nd pic I took a couple days ago of the lot now.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1520118410457.jpg
    FB_IMG_1520118410457.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 325
  • received_2071388512901874.jpg
    received_2071388512901874.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
Absolutely worth detecting now. The top three inches of top soil contains a lot of modern junk, and with it removed you will get more depth than your father, and most of the new machines can get deeper.

When in doubt, hunt it! :yes:

Your dad's machine and the other guy's machine could have been fooled by iron masking within those three inches that have been removed, now allowing perfect detection conditions! Gopher it! :laughing:

Of course you should hunt the heck out of it, what you described is a nearly perfect dream scenario for a coinshooter/relic hunter!

It's a shame about the house being demolished though, pieces of history disappear every day.

Best of luck!
Keep us posted.
:popcorn:

I would have hit it before. Every time someone tells me they have dug it all I always seem to find something else.

I was at a old park a few months ago and this old man came up to talk to me. He proceeded to tell me I was wasting my time as he had personally hunted it out and there is nothing old left. At that very moment I got a nice high tone about 6 inches down. All while he was talking I dug a plug and pulled out a 30's Merc.:laughing:

It's not been hunted UNDER the house. Workmen could have lost stuff while they were building it or there could have been something there before the house was built. Good luck with it.

Ohio-digger, You got great answers so far. I agree with rustyk1 :

Absolutely worth detecting now. The top three inches of top soil contains a lot of modern junk, and with it removed you will get more depth than your father, and most of the new machines can get deeper.

I would have been hitting it the first night, at 5pm, when the tractors had finished .

It's not been hunted UNDER the house. Workmen could have lost stuff while they were building it or there could have been something there before the house was built. Good luck with it.

That's something I hadn't thought of!

Ohio-digger, You got great answers so far. I agree with rustyk1 :

I would have been hitting it the first night, at 5pm, when the tractors had finished .

The day they torn it down and cleared the lot it was 40° and pouring rain....my MXT ain't waterproof lol

Why are you posting even asking advice??? I'd already be there hunting the cr@p out of it.
I have been spending most of my free time at the hospital, my father isn't doing good and doesn't have many days left :(

LOL... I would, too, but his weather isn't cooperating

We had a couple days it was nice out but I didn't have free time to go, the days I do its raining, snowing or bitter cold....

I'll be hitting it soon guys..... Thanks for the advice!

So there has been an awful flu bug in my house for the past week (we have 4 kids, so its been going from one person to another), and the Pastor was on vacation for a week, but I just got off the phone and am happy to announce they said go for it!! Im still a little under the weather plus this damn Ohio weather really sucks right now, but I am going to hunt the sheet out of that place as soon as I can!! best part is it is like a 2 minute walk from my house, so I can litterally hunt it every day (wife permitting :laughing:). They said it will be a couple months before they start building the rec center, so hopefully by the time they start I will have my hands on an Equinox too....

Congrats on the permission. Hope your Equinox is delivered soon. It will serve you well in an iron infested area. Keep us posted. I have been working on an 1850s permission, lookin' good and if it pans out it will be the first new site I've had my Equinox on. HH Mark

Back
Top Bottom