Buttons galore

Elicsx

Me and a buddy of mine have found a spot that is loaded with buttons, he found 17,and i found 12. They were all 3 to four inches deep,and all the buttons were found in a 20 ft radius. Has anyone else had this experience finding so many buttons so close to each other? We also found several three ringers.

Attachments

• IMG_0226.jpg
    IMG_0226.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_0225.jpg
    IMG_0225.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 359
That's a load of buttons from WWII, wow, congrats , and if your finding some mini balls from the CW, I would take the time and do some more searching of that area, may be some period buttons and goodies awaiting to be found. Nice hunt

The site might be a Civil War area, but the buttons are not. Those are General Services buttons from WWII. Unusual to find that many in one area. Have you considered that they might have been "planted" for someone to find? They are still a nice addition to a military button collection.

The site might be a Civil War area, but the buttons are not. Those are General Services buttons from WWII. Unusual to find that many in one area. Have you considered that they might have been "planted" for someone to find? They are still a nice addition to a military button collection.

They look closer to around ww1 era to me?

Thanks for the info. It is strange to find these buttons in a civil war camp next to three ringers and a bunch of square nails. I am going to hunt the site out pretty good to see what else i can find.

Something went on there...a mystery to unravel...That many buttons in a small area? Yeah..you gotta get on it and figure it out...Please let us know what you discover...

I once got nine eagle buttons in one two foot area. My friend with me got three out of the same spot. I would say that someone lost a coat. Your buttons are called great seal buttons. They were adopted for use in 1902 and are still in use today. You can tie down the date a little better by using the backmarks.

I once got nine eagle buttons in one two foot area. My friend with me got three out of the same spot. I would say that someone lost a coat. Your buttons are called great seal buttons. They were adopted for use in 1902 and are still in use today. You can tie down the date a little better by using the backmarks.

On the back of the larger button,it says Waterbury button co conn. Doe's that help date it any ? Just got on google and found the button,no date yet.It is still a mystery to me to me why all of these buttons are in a civil war camp. I am going to do some more research and try to find out. I see that you also live in Chattanooga. Thanks for all of your help!!!!

Last edited:
I say they were all sleeping, got over run by fire ants and ripped their shirts off as fast as they could.. thus popping all the buttons off..

then there is always the theory that perhaps that was the seamstress station.

I say they were all sleeping, got over run by fire ants and ripped their shirts off as fast as they could.. thus popping all the buttons off..

then there is always the theory that perhaps that was the seamstress station.

Don't quit your day job, you will never make it as a comedian.

Great finds.

I still can’t find a button on my work pants more less in the dirt.

Keep looking!! I would love to find a confederate belt buckle one of these days,being retired gives me the time,but we are running out of places to hunt in my area due to all of the housing and factory development. Just keep hunting !!.

Back
Top Bottom