Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Antiques Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Old 04-09-2013, 12:14 PM

Exclamation Cell Phones

So While out metal detecting this morning I discovered that my cell phone would trigger false read outs when ever I received a text. Has anyone else noticed this issue? Kinda funny that it was doing that. I would get a crazy read out and say to myself "Oh I got a text." lol

I was using an Ace 250... Only found 2 Kennedy's and they are the only two that I have found. I also found a lot of hair pins at least 25.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:25 PM

Funny you mentioned that, when I first started with the F2 I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what is this thing doing. Then I realized I had my phone in my pocket! Now I tell the family it will be off until I check in or fall in a hole

Old 04-09-2013, 12:26 PM
Elite Member

Yea i know to reach for my phone about 5 seconds before it rings.... Annoying when the wife is on a rant though.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Elite Member

I learned the hard way the first week I started carrying my phone in my pants pocket while MDing. My F-2 would go nuts for what I thought was no reason at all. I later learned it was EMI interference from my phone, after receiving text messages.

I had the volumn turned down to vibrate. The only problem I had the phone against my dead leg, so I couldn't feel it whe it went off. ("Dead" meaning I have no feeling in my left upper thigh, not that I drag it behind me...)

Old 04-09-2013, 12:55 PM
Freshwater Shark

LOL hunt with a phone!! NEVER!!!!!

Please leave a message after the beep. I am making changes in my life. If I don't return your call, you're on of the changes.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by ScubaDetector View post
LOL hunt with a phone!! NEVER!!!!!

Please leave a message after the beep. I am making changes in my life. If I don't return your call, you're one of the changes.
Hey Scuba, that sentence would work great for my answering machine. Mind if I steal it??

Old 04-09-2013, 09:30 PM

So if my ex wife calls will I lose a gold ring signal?

Old 04-09-2013, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Funny, just last week there was another member asking if cell phones could interfere with their metal detector. I answered that yes, certain combinations of phones and detectors do suffer from interference.

Umpteen members proceeded to post that they've never had any interference problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never, under any circumstances, take a laxative and a sleeping pill, on the same night.