Compact Setup

mross

I am looking to get a compact setup. Both detector and digger/scoop. Right now for the compact detector I am looking at a Nokta Macro Simplex. The scoop is currently undecided, but I am thinking a hand held scoop. I currently run a Sovereign GT and a Stealth 720i. However, I drive a Civic. They don't fit in my trunk. So I am looking for something easily transportable in a small space. I have not made any decisions yet still doing research. Any advice, thoughts would be appreciated. I will most likely be hitting beach sand, wet and dry and woods type areas. I am planning a trip out west, not sure what the terrain will be. Maybe ghost towns(assuming they are not all national parks) and meteorite hunting. Thanks.

You could probably pick up an aftermarket carbon fiber shaft that may collapse more then the stock shaft and get a 2 piece carbon fiber sand scoop handle, I would not use a hand scoop again after I used one on a 2 week vacation a few years back....it is not fun. Or they sell shaft hinges that may work? Good luck.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211026-193110_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211026-193110_Gallery.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 476
The Minelab Vanquishes can be made very small by pulling the armrest shaft out and reversing it. Just do the opposite when reassembling.

And the Minelab GO-FIND models look very compact too.

i downsized cars too.....

My 2013 Dodge Journey gave up the ghost at 215,000 miles. It had lots of storage and i used a plastic "footlocker" that held two detectors and everything else except the sand scoop.

A few weeks ago i got a Ford Escape Hybrid. Much smaller storage area. So i went from horizontal storage to vertical.

This 5 gallon bucket holds one detector and everything except the scoop.

The Croc shoes and the kneeling pad offer a bit of padding from the shovels.

And the bucket collects the dirt from the coil and shovels.

And i am happy to report that my gas mileage has about doubled. I'm averaging 48 miles to the gallon.

Attachments

• bucket.1.jpg
    bucket.1.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 426
I am looking to get a compact setup. Both detector and digger/scoop. Right now for the compact detector I am looking at a Nokta Macro Simplex. The scoop is currently undecided, but I am thinking a hand held scoop. I currently run a Sovereign GT and a Stealth 720i. However, I drive a Civic. They don't fit in my trunk. So I am looking for something easily transportable in a small space. I have not made any decisions yet still doing research. Any advice, thoughts would be appreciated. I will most likely be hitting beach sand, wet and dry and woods type areas. I am planning a trip out west, not sure what the terrain will be. Maybe ghost towns(assuming they are not all national parks) and meteorite hunting. Thanks.

Nokta Simplex is a great machine for the $. This is a Nokta 3 in 1 scoop that I like. https://bigboyshobbies.net/nokta-makro-premium-sand-scoop-3-in-1-set

I have a equinox and I wanted it more compact so I bought a new telescoping detector stem designed for the equinox. Mine works great, I keep my equinox in my backpack when I hike out to places. One specific brand is the Tele-Knox, I don't have this one but the one I have does the same thing.

For your scoop handle I believe if you search around you can find carbon fiber rods for sand scoops that dissemble half way up the shaft. Not sure about how long they would last as I don't have one.

I finally pulled the pin and bought my compact setup. I went with the NOX 800 and a Nokta 3 in 1 scoop. After running a GT all these years I'm kinda partial to Minelab. Still love my GT but the lightness and compactness of the NOX is amazing, just hope it works as well. Quick question for those running the NOX will my GT coils work with the NOX 800? Any compatibility issues?

The shaft can come apart. It also has holes in the hat to adjust the length.

Your only really option is the XP Deus. It can go into a medium-sized backpack easily. This is one of the reasons I spent so much time researching for a top-end detector four years ago when I was ready to spend real money of a real machine. The Deus checked all the boxes, and still does. I have my entire kit in a backpack and take it on the train or just hiking around town with me to wherever I want to dig, and to simply run across new places to dig by accident. It's that compact, and it's top of the line in all respects. This is my opinion as very well tested in the field in real life. Anything with a coil wire is just passé at this point.

Back
Top Bottom