• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

New to MD'ing here in Philadelphia

ronfin

Elite Member
I've been reading this forum for tips for a few weeks since December. My 9 y/o daughter had asked me for a MD for Christmas, so that's how I got into this hobby. I took it for a spin to test it at a local park, and 20 minutes in I found a 1936 Mercury dime. Got hooked right away. Been out about 4 times now and haven't found any more silver, but a lot of loose change. Haven't really found any good locations yet to search besides the local park.

Welcome from Arizona..... We just moved from Reading Pa a few months ago and all your back woods trails have old homesteads, foundations old barns and the such..... you also have the schuylkill river trail that many of our past ancestors used http://www.schuylkillrivertrail.com/ You also have the Appalachian trail and old wooden covered bridges ....as old as that area is you would have many places to hunt ..... wish i was there to join you.(well maybe in the spring)
Joe

Welcome from Kansas!
Anytime I can hit a Merc, I'm happy. Congrats!

Welcome from the Phila suburbs. There is plenty of areas for you to look. Both in the city itself and with in a short drive. Good luck and happy hunting!

Thanks for the words all! I've been fascinated with my local park recently because of MD'ing. After a litter research it seems Wissinoming Park has a lot of history to it. It was once home to an estate at the turn of the 1800's. The guy that owned the land and mansion on it was the first American to take a picture of the human face. There was over 80 acres, and a lake there. It's been cut down drastically, and there's no longer a lake, but after studying some old pictures from the early 1900's I was able to find the old foundation to the Grand Stand that was once there. I found the Mercury dime only a few yards from this, so I'm gonna continue to hunt this area even though the trash is pilling up. So many beer cans and pull tabs are buried all over this park. I do find a lot of change, so it's not all bad. I think I'm up to about $6 in post 1964 change. :)

Back
Top Bottom