Does anyone have a story of detecting in a old cemetery?

ZachSS

I was wondering if anyone dug up something kind of creepy, or human like in a old cemetery without knowing it was cementary at one time?
Thought it would be kind of interesting topic. Haha

Man, you'll get a lot of angry answers with this one. But in general most detectors people use for coin and relic hunting won't find stuff much more than 12 inches deep and most human burials are close to six feet deep so it is unlikely that one would find anything like what you are talking about. I have only found the usual coins and other small metal things people drop wherever they go. Spent cartridge casings, pencil eraser nubs, buttons, etc. When I was a kid (mid 1950s) they put in the first housing development in my area. There had been an old private cemetery on the farmland that was being developed and it was just bulldozed right over. Kids from that end of town showed up for "show and tell" with all kinds of human remains and articles from graves. Creepy enough for ya??

Can we put this thread on HOLD until Halloween? :lol:

Haha Hey that's my birthday! I guess it's comes with Holiday! Lol

Man, you'll get a lot of angry answers with this one. But in general most detectors people use for coin and relic hunting won't find stuff much more than 12 inches deep and most human burials are close to six feet deep so it is unlikely that one would find anything like what you are talking about. I have only found the usual coins and other small metal things people drop wherever they go. Spent cartridge casings, pencil eraser nubs, buttons, etc. When I was a kid (mid 1950s) they put in the first housing development in my area. There had been an old private cemetery on the farmland that was being developed and it was just bulldozed right over. Kids from that end of town showed up for "show and tell" with all kinds of human remains and articles from graves. Creepy enough for ya??

I'm not trying to offend anyone, I was just wondering if someone has 'accidentally' came upon a graveyard without knowing and dug up something creepy..
But that is a good story, I like it!

Actually, it's funny you asked. I hunted my first cemetery yesterday (with permission from the church). I had mistakenly thought that the church I was hunting was built in 1876, but after only finding coins dating back to 1920, I went back and did some more research. The church was actually built in 1923. It turns out that there was originally a church across the street that was built much earlier.

After a *lot* of detective work and a visit to the Historical Society, I figured out that the old church lay somewhere in the grounds of the present-day cemetery. I started hunting at random and found mostly beer cans (creepy, eh? Who would drink by graves???) but then found a 1910 penny near an old tree that was about 60-80 years old or so.

I went back and looked really closely at the old historical aerials and bam, found a barely discernible outline of the old church. The 1910 penny was just a few feet from the front door. A few of the newer graves have been built at the rear of the property so I'll only be able to hunt the front (I won't hunt on top of graves.)

Cool question, thanks for asking!

Finding a finger still in a ring would be disturbing.

I have offered my services to the local police, but they haven't taken me up on it yet and I'm hoping that, if the day comes, it's not a body recovery job. I'd go, but...

I read that today, right after I posted this question! Haha crazy! I wonder if anything else will be found, very cool story though!

Actually, it's funny you asked. I hunted my first cemetery yesterday (with permission from the church). I had mistakenly thought that the church I was hunting was built in 1876, but after only finding coins dating back to 1920, I went back and did some more research. The church was actually built in 1923. It turns out that there was originally a church across the street that was built much earlier.

After a *lot* of detective work and a visit to the Historical Society, I figured out that the old church lay somewhere in the grounds of the present-day cemetery. I started hunting at random and found mostly beer cans (creepy, eh? Who would drink by graves???) but then found a 1910 penny near an old tree that was about 60-80 years old or so.

I went back and looked really closely at the old historical aerials and bam, found a barely discernible outline of the old church. The 1910 penny was just a few feet from the front door. A few of the newer graves have been built at the rear of the property so I'll only be able to hunt the front (I won't hunt on top of graves.)

Cool question, thanks for asking!

Now that's an awesome story, I like stuff like that! I really like detecting or just exploring areas that can make your hair rise!

Finding a finger still in a ring would be disturbing.

I have offered my services to the local police, but they haven't taken me up on it yet and I'm hoping that, if the day comes, it's not a body recovery job. I'd go, but...

Yes it would be!
In my area they have asked for help any ways possible for a couple of cases, it's all woods, caves and rivers here.

She has an good point, it's an irresponsible policy. It doesn't need to be investigated any further in my view. Look at Europe, they have catacombs and mass plague graves, and just everyday family burials so common they are rolling their eyes every time someone brings up burying electrical lines because they know what's coming.

This is not an MD find but a church I was a part of mid 1980s had undergone some updates which entailed raising the church and excavation for a basement. They found graves UNDER the church!!!! Now that's creepy.

I met a guy once that said he goes to his father's grave and has a beer with him for his birthday, Father's day etc.

I met a guy once that said he goes to his father's grave and has a beer with him for his birthday, Father's day etc.

In some countries, like Mexico, it is not unusual for the family to gather around the tomb of a loved one, and enjoy a picnic or dinner. This is usually done on "El dia de los muertos", or what we call: Halloween.

dia_de_los_muertos_MG_8186.jpg

IMG_0772.JPG

Back
Top Bottom